to ask why can't I sleep?

(36 Posts)
Bobyan Sun 16-Jun-13 01:42:19

And I'm shattered!

kennyp Sun 16-Jun-13 21:15:48

go to bed cold. stay away from ipads and computers etc. if you wake up do notttttt look at the clock. those things helped me when i couldnt sleep. hope you get some soon!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morganster Sun 16-Jun-13 21:38:57

Another insomniac here. I spend all day absolutely shattered. Then when I get to bed can't sleep. I listen to Poirot too. Sometimes it works.

throckenholt Mon 17-Jun-13 07:34:20

I second the bit about not looking at the clock - although I can keep myself awake in the middle of the night try not to look at the clock, because I know that if I do, it will be 3am and I won't get back to sleep again !. If I wake before midnight it is fine (although I rarely do), if I wake after 2.30 am then I often can't get back to sleep until about half an hour before I have to wake up.

Recently had to get up at 2am for a long journey - went to bed early to try and get a few decent hours - tossed and turned for practically all that time and was like the living dead when I needed to be alert to drive sad. Did exactly the same for the return journey too.

Why is it when you really need to sleep that is when your brain keeps you awake ?!

hamilton75 Mon 17-Jun-13 08:54:54

Anyone with chronic insomnia should have a thyroid blood test. Its a classic symptom.

projectbabyweight Mon 17-Jun-13 10:20:04

Please everyone who's suffering with insomnia read this book
It's helped me loads after three sodding years of not sleeping. The author had insomnia for 15 years before working out what was really going on. I'm telling everyone who will listen at the mo smile

projectbabyweight Mon 17-Jun-13 10:22:55

throckenholt - the author of that book says trying to sleep is like pushing on a door that needs to be pulled - the more you try the more it won't happen.

The key is to change your mindset so you believe it doesn't matter as much whether you sleep or not. That sounds really hard but she has lots of techniques to help, like remembering how well you've managed previously after a bad night, etc.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 17-Jun-13 10:58:17

I also don't think about my own life when in bed. Instead I'll worry about Tina in coronation street or something like that.
Also lots of exercise. Much better since I got a dog.

KellyElly Mon 17-Jun-13 13:29:25

I'm a bad sleeper. I have a nightmare with pillows which just exacerbates the problem. If anyone has any tips on good pillows please share with me. I have been looking for the perfect pillow for years and they only seem to exist in posh hotels!

wamabama Mon 17-Jun-13 14:43:55

Another insomniac here! Mine started when I was eight so many years ago.. I have it on/off, go through stages of it. My worst has been a year of 1-2 hours sleep a night, I was hallucinating and paranoid, just dreadful. GP's never much help- it's anxiety they tell me, try more exercise, cut out caffeine etc.

Tried everything except pills which I point blank refuse to get hooked on. Someone told me to eat a banana and almonds before bed to help hormone levels balance out, it worked for a few days then stopped. I've tried no caffeine, sticking to a set routine of when I get up and go to bed, camomile tea, special sleep teas, yoga, meditation, vigorous exercise, sorted the feng shui in my room, reading, warm lavender bath, no TV or food after a certain time... just ARGH!

My issue is I overthink. I'll lay in bed worrying about what someone said to me two weeks ago for example. And my worst thing is when there's a social event coming up, i'll worry about it and not sleep for weeks because I HATE social events grin. I used to do the same every sunday before school, just lay there worrying! I'm not sure if you CAN stop worrying tbh. I've come to accept i'll always be an insomniac anyway, it's been with me for so long I doubt there's any real 'cure'. <not helpful>

Bobyan Mon 17-Jun-13 15:37:47

I went to bed at 12.30 and woke up before 5am. Managed to drop off and then struggled to get up for my 6.30 alarm.

I might try alcohol (for medicinal purposes you understand) tonight...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now