to want my 10year old to sign her name with our surname rather than her fathers'

(41 Posts)
AnnaTT Fri 14-Jun-13 09:54:35

My daughter's name is christian name, middle name, my surname, her father's surname. Eg: Ella Sophia Brown Jones. He left at birth but sees her regularly. Ella and I are known by my name: Brown. She is registered with school, dentist, medical, clubs, everything as all three names.

Now that she is applying for an 11 year old Oyster card, she signed it as on her birth certificate, with both surnames. This is for the first time.

I object. I want her signature to read as does her name on the card. Partly because I want her to get back to me should she get lost. But also, I admit, because she is a Brown and I have ostensibly brought her up - done all the work. Of course I am hurt.

Of course I cant force her pen. But What do others think?

WorraLiberty Fri 14-Jun-13 11:17:46

I'm confused.

From what you've said, she's not a Brown....she's a Brown Jones. Just because you've decided she's a Brown, doesn't make it so.

And if she gets lost, I'm sure she'll remember her own address confused

Flobbadobs Fri 14-Jun-13 11:19:11

She would legally have to use her registered name on things like her oyster card though wouldn't she? My DH uses his middle name as a first name for most things including medical but for other things like travel docs and legal matters he uses his real name as is written on his birth certificate. (Which confuses people no end...)
Would she have had to submit her birth cert in order to get her oyster card? (I only ask as we had to send a copy of DS's for his Igo card)

Snorbs Fri 14-Jun-13 13:32:50

She is signing it with her surname which you chose to make double-barrelled. It is part of her identity. Grow up.

AnnaTT Mon 17-Jun-13 16:11:34

Aliases were used. Thanks for comments. I will swallow and let it go. Yes its her right to use the names she wants. Live to struggle with more challenging self assertion.But thanks for empathy!

Floggingmolly Mon 17-Jun-13 18:24:25

You want her to get back to you should she get lost. hmm
And you think she might be so confused regarding her name that there's a possibility she'd be returned elsewhere instead?
She can sign her name any way she chooses.

wellthatsdoneit Mon 17-Jun-13 19:54:30

It's part of her identity and you meddle with that at your peril.

I have sympathy with you. I never took my stbxh's surname although my children have it and ever since he ran off with someone else I no longer feel like taking it. However, what's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.

NatashaBee Mon 17-Jun-13 20:00:52

I'm confused. She's signed with the name that you decided to give her at birth. confused It's perfectly legal to go by whatever name you want, but it will probably cause some confusion if it's not consistent with official ID such as a birth cert or passport. So surely it's better to stick with her full name?

RedHelenB Mon 17-Jun-13 20:06:18

The name on her birth certificate should be the one she uses so YABU. A mane is given at birth, not earned in any way. HTH!

CloudsAndTrees Mon 17-Jun-13 20:18:46

If her name is on the card in print, then it will make no difference to her getting lost or found if her signature is different. Presumably she capable of saying the names of both of her parents if she's old enough to be on public transport alone?

It's her name, you have to let her use it whichever way she wants. And it's not as if she doesn't have her other parent, you said she sees her Dad regularly so I expect she loves her Dad as much as any little girl does.

Redbindy Mon 17-Jun-13 20:22:19

RedHelenB: a mane might be given at birth, hair today gone tomorrow. This is a serious thread so please stop horsing around. Otherwise it will only encourage the neigh sayers.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 17-Jun-13 21:52:56

While I sympathise with you op, yabu.

Pennyacrossthehall Mon 17-Jun-13 22:27:57

Could someone explain the excitement about names (and reporting the use of them) on this thread? Is there some protocol that I am not aware of?

Thanks

quoteunquote Mon 17-Jun-13 23:24:19

you don't use other people real names unless you have permission, is the usual protocol,

The OP hadn't made it clear in that she had made up a name,

No matter what the history, children like their own full given name, as they feel it a big part of their identity, they have to really hurt to give it up voluntarily.

Pennyacrossthehall Tue 18-Jun-13 09:12:46

Thanks quoteunquote.

I couldn't understand why people felt the need to report the thread when the OP used her own name(s), especially as they are among the most common names imaginable.

(I get the point of the replies about someone's name being central to their identity.)

diddl Tue 18-Jun-13 09:25:51

Of course she made it clear, by using Eg ESBJ!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now