to think this is a breach of softplay etiquette?

(71 Posts)
megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 22:42:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 12-Jun-13 22:47:37

If she was in front of you in the queue she should have got the car first imo.

If you were in front then she needed to wait.

First come, first served.

maddening Wed 12-Jun-13 22:57:03

Yanbu - has she paid a separate soft play entrance fee for herself? I doubt it! One soft play entrance fee one car in use at any time imo

megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 22:57:23

megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 23:00:08

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 12-Jun-13 23:01:06

DH says he is soft play expert unemployed sahd and thinks she shouldn't have gone in one on her own!

Wolfiefan Wed 12-Jun-13 23:02:53

She wanted to play with her child?
In reality there is no such thing as etiquette at those places. There are a few people with manners and everyone else!?!

WuzzleMonkey Wed 12-Jun-13 23:07:33

Is this 360 play?

Was there a queue? You say she tried to kick you and your daughter off a car - is this a car you had queued for and got to before her? Or were you trying to stay in a car having had your turn, and she was next in the queue?

megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 23:11:21

WuzzleMonkey Wed 12-Jun-13 23:12:46

I think if she queues it's fine for her to take the next free car if she's at the front of the queue.

If you had queued, got in a car, and not yet had your turn then of course she shouldn't have tried to kick you out.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 12-Jun-13 23:14:33

'So you think its ok to go on bumper cars alone as an adult when children are waiting?'

Yes, if there is a queue and I've been waiting longer then it's my turn first. Any child who is old enough to go in a bumper car is old enough to start learning about waiting their turn. I assume she was with a child and hadn't gone to softplay on her own? So maybe her child wanted to race her or bump her? If they've waited for their turn they are entitled to play how they like (as long as it doesn't harm anyone else obviously).

'Would you do it?'

Yes, for the reasons stated above. If you're queuing for a ride at a theme park do you let all children go in first? What if you're queuing for the loo and people with children come in? Or in a shop? Queuing is a very simple system, it will only lead to problems if we start altering the rules....

megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 23:18:02

WuzzleMonkey Wed 12-Jun-13 23:21:09

I think you're overcomplicating things, as outraged has said.

The woman paid to her entry fee - she queued up. If she was in front of you in the queue then it was her turn before yours. I think unless there is a sign saying that the cars are strictly for children YABU.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 12-Jun-13 23:21:39

Was she there with a child though? If she was at softplay all by herself, that is a little odd although I still think if she's paid and waited her turn then fair enough.

If she was with a child then I assume they wanted her to come on, but in a different car so they could race or similar? I know that would be the case with my DC's. They want me to chase them/race with them, not be in the car with them. I've paid for them and myself, we've all waited our turn, we can play how we like.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 12-Jun-13 23:22:29

Soft play seems to have moved on in the last five years, I have missed out on bumper cars in soft play places!

But I don't think it's wrong to have a go as a lone adult. If this woman's children were having a go at the same time, then she was still playing with her children, just in a different way to those with younger ones.

And she paid to be in this place, so there's no reason not to make the most of it.

She shouldn't be trying to kick you out of yours if it was yours, but if she was expecting to have a go at the same time as her child and you took the last car meaning that she couldn't, then it's right that you wit your turn as you were after her in the queue.

Or was your dd effectively having two turns because you and your friend swapped?

SilverSky Wed 12-Jun-13 23:24:11

We're you in Herts?

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 12-Jun-13 23:24:22

I agree with Outraged in that it's fine to have a car each for adult and child. It's more fun for the child as they get to take control and bump the parent. BUT you were already in the other car so she should have either shared the remaining car with her daughter or waited till the next 2 cars were available.

megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 23:26:46

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 12-Jun-13 23:31:43

'Personally I would have just thought that children waiting would come before adults wanting to race their children.'

What about the children wanting to race their adult? Those children have waited and they want to race their mum. You can wait an additional 2 minutes.

' The soft play did have a rule about no lone adults I believe'

This is a drip-feed and a completely different situation. If there is a clear rule and she broke it then YANBU. If there is no rule then first come, first served. If it was happening throughout the day, you either misunderstood the rule or they need to make the rules clearer!

CloudsAndTrees Wed 12-Jun-13 23:42:07

So what was it that made her try to turf you out of your car? Were you behind her in the queue so you got the last car that she wanted?

I feel like I'm missing something here.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 12-Jun-13 23:43:54

If no lone adults was a rule and it was happening throughout the day, did the lovely man who works there tell everyone else not to do it too?

You'd think they'd have a sign up if the rule exists and it keeps happening.

megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 23:55:18

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 13-Jun-13 00:04:50

'Outraged its not a drip feed, someone asked!'

Yes, but surely that's relevant to the OP! If she breached a rule/was told off then obviously YANBU and she was wrong.

I'm not sure how the older children were being discourteous by wanting an adult to join in/play with them? They waited their turn in the queue didn't they?

Like I said queuing is really simple. You just stand behind the person in front and it's first come, first served. There is no need to complicate it with issues of age. How old is your DD? If someone 6 months younger got in the queue behind would she have to be courteous and let them go first? What if they were a year younger? Or 2 years younger? At what age does she have to start letting those younger than her go in front?

megsmouse Thu 13-Jun-13 00:14:21

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 13-Jun-13 00:21:13

They're not stopping them riding though are they? They're having to wait an extra few minutes. I really don't understand why the older children can't enjoy themselves with their parent/carer and can't play how they want because it means a slightly younger child has to wait an extra few minutes. Is it really a problem to wait for a few extra minutes?

Is it only softplay where you think this rule should apply? What about Disneyland or similar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now