to think if something is illegal then you don't bloody do it?

(100 Posts)

I know of someone who texts while they drive and I am annoyed everytime I think about it. Isn't it illegal to use your phone and drive?

He also speeds on occasion, should I report him?

Helpyourself Mon 15-Jul-13 23:56:13

So what do you suggest, Aka special rules and allowances made for skilful drivers like you? Or maybe because the effects of speeding are, you know, literally fatal, you could obey the speed limit or accept the punishment and find somewhere else to do your willy waggling. hmm

ShellyBoobs Tue 16-Jul-13 00:25:10

Bollocks AKAK81. Speeding does kill, its not bloody rocket science.

Which is safer:

- 70mph in pissing rain on a busy motorway at 6pm in the rushhour on a dark November evening.

- 85mph on a glorious dry, sunny, June Sunday morning motorway at 6am with no other traffic in sight?

Wuldric Tue 16-Jul-13 03:43:15

I agree with AKA's sentiments about poor, slow drivers. We've all met them on the roads. But that does not make fast drivers good drivers. It just makes them fast drivers.

There is a difference between a fast driver and a slow driver. There is a difference between a good, road-aware driver and a poor ditherer who just cannot process the road.

It's like a Venn diagram with 4 sets with the following areas of intersection:

Good & slow
Good & fast
Bad & slow
Bad & fast

Actually, I've just thought of another couple of sets. Drivers who are prepared to do illegal things and drivers who are not.

<redraws Venn diagram, tearing hair out>

AKAK81 Tue 16-Jul-13 06:22:16

LJ it was just an example, a stereotype I'll admit, but one I see regularly driving something like a MINI possibly with headlight eyelashes and a 'powered by fairy dust' sticker. Other hair colours and crap drivers are available!

AKAK81 Tue 16-Jul-13 06:38:01

You're just being silly Help but the facts show that there are many more people being killed on the roads due to other factors than exceeding the speed limit. I don't claim to be the worlds best driver but I know I'm a good driver thanks to years and many many miles of advanced training. To me driving is a skill in which to take pride and something that you never reach perfection - no matter how good you are there is always something to learn. You only have to drive around for 10 minutes to see drivers who clearly take no pride whatsoever in their driving (they may not be speeding though so of course they're safe drivers.) Its about time that people understand that a driving license is a privilege and not a right.

MalcolmTuckersMum Tue 16-Jul-13 06:40:43

<<<involuntary snigger @ 'powered by fairydust'>>> - really? There really is such a thing? And some people have that? shock

Whereisegg Tue 16-Jul-13 06:57:45

Actually not everybody speeds.
I don't.
I can't afford the fines, nor the increased insurance costs were I to be caught.
Driving is an essential part of my job and I need and want a clean license.
A friend once suggested I could speed through my village because I knew the roads so well.
Yeah well I also know the residents and couldn't live with hitting anyone, let alone someone I know.
If I am ever involved in an accident I would want to know that I was driving responsibly and legally at the time.

Helpyourself Tue 16-Jul-13 07:29:35

I'm not being silly.
You're a great driver, we here that, but apart from making you feel nice and male and superior, what relevance us that to speeding rules? Do you there should be a specific set if rules for you and other skilled drivers? Should there be variable speed limits? Or a particular advanced test?
Because if you don't think that, your opinions are irrelevant.

differentnameforthis Tue 16-Jul-13 10:57:44

everyone speeds occasionally

Actually, no...not everyone does.

Dahlen Tue 16-Jul-13 11:14:29

Many arguments can be made as to why certain laws shouldn't apply in certain situations/to certain people, etc. However, if you know what the laws of the land are, if you choose to flout them then you choose to put yourself at risk of bearing the consequences. Don't break the speed limit if you're not prepared for the fine/points. It really is that simple.

If you think a particular law is unjust, put your money where your mouth is and campaign for it to be overturned. Otherwise you are simply displaying a breathtaking arrogance if you consider yourself hard done by for bearing the consequences when caught.

differentnameforthis Tue 16-Jul-13 11:19:01

I've definitely purchased alcohol very under age
I've shoplifted as a child.
Punched someone once

Aside from the victim of the last one, those actions could only result in consequences for YOU.

I text while stuck in traffic. I've exceeded the speed limit on motorways Both are fucking stupid, imo. I don't care what you do that affects only YOU, but when you start pissing around on your phone or speeding, or drink driving while we are at it (not saying that you do) you are likely to affect other people who have no fucking idea what you are up to & are unable to act quick enough to avoid you if you lose control of your car.

What makes YOUR life more important than others on the road, that you HAVE to text RIGHT THAT SECOND. Why is you getting to your destination more important than the safety of others on the road?

Fucking irresponsible and you shouldn't be in charge of a car!

teensagainstdistracteddriving.com/2010/05/texting-car-accident-survivor-aaron-brookens-warns-of-the-texting-dangers-teens-against-distracted-driving/

www.npr.org/2009/09/22/113035255/utah-tackles-texting-and-driving-problem-head-on

ComposHat Tue 16-Jul-13 11:30:29

clarachu no it isn't illegal to photograph people's reg plates, they will appear on numerous cctv cameras everyday and are on public display gor good reason. in pre camera phone days your eere advised to carry a disposable camera in your glove box to capture the number plate if a car drove off after crashing into you.

Fakebook Tue 16-Jul-13 11:31:35

You can't report them, they have to be caught in the act. Don't you have anything better to do in your life?

LessMissAbs Tue 16-Jul-13 11:37:44

I agree there is too much emphasis in this country on speeding as being the only sources of dangerous driving.

It was only recently that there was some emphasis in the media on a crackdown on tailgating. Failure to join motorways at an appropriate speed, and driving within the speed limit but too fast for twisty country roads are far more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit on an empty motorway early in the morning in clear bright conditions.

ComposHat Tue 16-Jul-13 11:51:50

O ahree with MissAbs. The 70 limit was introduced (from a previous80 limit) during the fuel crisis as a way of saving fuel rather than a safety measure. I tend to take things steady on the motorway, but 80 tp to 85mph is a more realistic limit.

differentnameforthis Tue 16-Jul-13 12:15:48

The whole not reporting thing....I reported a guy recently who was driving like a twat. Right up my arse when he was close, speeding to get as close as possible to me when I managed to put some distance between us (by not speeding, I will add). Drinking alcohol (yes he was that close that I could identify the can he was swigging from). Generally being inconsiderate. I have NEVER felt intimated or scared by another driver, but at this point he scared the shit out of me. For the majority of our journey I was unable to pull over (he was too close or the road was v narrow) to let him pass & he just kept up this stupid driving. I don't know what his intention was, (whether he wanted to pass me etc). I had my girls in the car & I was worried he would rear end me. He also had a kid in the car!

All I could do was make sure that I had heaps of room in front of me, in case he did hit me, so at least I wouldn't be shunted into any one else.

Anyway, I got & called the non emergency police number. I gave them his plate rego & told them what happened & they they would send an officer to talk to the owner of the vehicle or send a letter stating what was witnessed. So here at least, they DO take it seriously.

differentnameforthis Tue 16-Jul-13 12:17:42

Oh & and add to that, he was weaving all over the road & reading what looked like a newspaper folded over, on occasion too.

DelayedActionMouseMaker Tue 16-Jul-13 12:24:29

Just skim read asin. Hurry so sorry if its already been posted, but make him watch this

differentnameforthis Tue 16-Jul-13 12:48:40

I text while stuck in traffic

Apologies, didn't read that correctly. Thought it said I text while driving. Still, my friend was fined for texting in traffic.

The police officer said that because her car was running, in gear, handbrake off she was not adequately in safe control of the car, therefore it was classed as driving with undue care. Or similar. She was fined & given 2 points.

TabbyM Tue 16-Jul-13 15:53:00

I would report them - police will give a warning if not enough witnesses etc

ageofgrandillusion Tue 16-Jul-13 16:01:04

You are missing the point AKA thought. Speed kills, end of. Yes, it is not the only thing that kills on roads but is one of them. Lets say somebody is travelling in a 30 zone and an old person steps out in the road without looking. Which has more chance of stopping? A person driving a car at 30mph? Or that same person driving the same car at 40mph? I mean, ffs sake, why does this even need explaining?? You can bang on all you like about skilled driving, your advanced driver training bollocks etc but the fact remains that if everybody stuck to speed limits instead of rushing around, impatiently tailgating other road users etc there would be less deaths on the roads.

RoooneyMara Tue 16-Jul-13 16:17:17

I would refuse to travel in his car and warn other friends, who might be letting him drive their children, as well.

Not sure about police.

Fwiw I drove to another town last year in 'convoy' with a male friend, we were taking the kids somewhere....he was speeding for most of it (40 in 30 zones, 50 in 40 zones etc) and I couldn't keep up.

I just lagged behind basically, trying to keep sight of him, and I told him when we got there and he had no concept of the fact he had been speeding most of the way. It was a bit awkward, but hopefully it made him realise what he was doing. Perhaps he never checks the speedo? Weird.

Tbh he is the kind of cocky fucker who would get away with it every time, anyway.

ComposHat Tue 16-Jul-13 16:57:05

ageof inappropriate speed kills - which is more dangerous someone travelling at 69mph in a hailstorm inches from someone's backbumper on a motorway when all the traffic around is doing 40 or someone travelling at 80 on a deserted motorway in perfect conditions?

driving at 30 in ice snd snow could easily be too fast and utterly reckless. The idea that under the speed limit = sade is a dangerous one.

Oblomov Tue 16-Jul-13 17:09:11

Am guilty of most of the 'crimes' listed.
And feel no guilt.

EBearhug Tue 16-Jul-13 18:08:17

* But I have discovered a new time saving thing, which is putting on my make-up while in a traffic jam. Perfectly legally.

Surely something like that would be covered by driving without due care and attention, if it were to cause an accident?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now