Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nick Ross on rape - warning you may feel the need to punch a wall

(485 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Sat 25-May-13 23:09:37

sorry it's a daily mail link.

I am full of rage, particularly his comments on aggravated rape. Wtf. Presumably he means that there are situations in which he will not be able to stop himself from raping someone because it is aggravated. This has made me so angry. Please they'll me he no longer works for the BBC. I truly hope he loses his career over this. How the hell are we supposed to educate people who think like this?

Amen to that.

It is the weirdest thing, this idea that most men are walking around suppressing the desire to rape someone. It is total bollocks.

BasilBabyEater Sun 26-May-13 01:08:23

Also the word "heresy" in that context.

I mean, really?

Rape apology is the fucking norm, not a heresy.

Apart from the general creepiness of it, the Jeremy Clarksonishness of imagining that he's also uttering heresy, when what he's expressing is bog-standard rape apology.

Boorish AND creepy. Even Clarkson can't manage that. shock

GettingStrong Sun 26-May-13 01:10:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hopkinette Sun 26-May-13 01:12:46

He has so completely missed the point wrt women who have been raped by partners not considering themselves rape victims

EXACTLY!

squoosh Sun 26-May-13 01:14:37

Add message | Report | Message poster jacks365 Sun 26-May-13 01:04:16
I think mumsnet has just proved his point. I'm out of here.

I think Mumsnet has shown his article to be offensive and filled with victim blaming.

See ya!

hopkinette Sun 26-May-13 01:15:02

He really, desperately wants to frame rape within a relationship as something that arises from the specific dynamic of that particular relationship - just another way that couples relate to each other. As opposed to actual, real, stranger-in-an-alley PROPER HARMFUL rape.

YY, agree basil - it's that whole 'poor me, the world is so against me, I'm not even allowed to speak out bravely with my rape heresies'.

Yeah, mate, it's really tough, why, those pesky feminists have even started protesting against the police using the same sorts of rhetoric in their anti-rape campaigns. hmm

getting - yes, exactly. sad

FreudiansSlipper Sun 26-May-13 01:18:02

lordy even dm readers are questioning his victim blaming

and really if you are going to write a book on crime get some up to date information. Though Erin Prizzey has done some wonderful work her views of women who love too much are so outdated

what a prized tit

Well, that's positive at least, if he's getting questions in the DM.

Erin Pizzey is an odd one, isn't she? <polite version>

squoosh Sun 26-May-13 01:19:37

Quelle surprise, he's got a book coming out.

'Hmmmmm, let me see, what's the best way to get my name in the headlines thus ensuring maximum sales'.

Shame on you Mr Ross. Oh no wait, it's shame on the rape victims.

Darkesteyes Sun 26-May-13 01:45:36

Not hard to see how Savile et al got away with it for so long is it? Mysogyny and victim blaming seems to be endemic and ingrained in the entertainment and/or TV presenting business.

StuntGirl Sun 26-May-13 01:58:36

Oh god, I couldn't even read more than half of that. Who the fucking hell does he think he is? What a vile little toad.

BOF Sun 26-May-13 01:59:34

That is quite possibly the most offensive thing I've ever read.

Sunshineandwaves Sun 26-May-13 02:14:11

Offensive and personally very upsetting. Does he still work for the bbc?

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 26-May-13 07:55:49

Read half of it. It really was hurtful and a horrendous publicity stunt.

For years I blamed myself for someone I went through. It was not my fault. According to that article then I should have been blaming myself.

ZillionChocolate Sun 26-May-13 08:04:39

OP I disagree with your interpretation of "aggravated". I think he was using it in the Ken Clark way, ie all rape is bad, but some are worse. For example, a planned rape of a especially vulnerable victim involving more violence and degradation than required to commit the offence is worse.

Trazzletoes Sun 26-May-13 08:16:44

I assumed "aggravated" rape to be a crime like "aggravated" burglary - having knives and stuff like that. No idea whether that's right or not!

BabyMakesTheBoobiesGoLeaky Sun 26-May-13 08:17:49

What a fucking dickhead. Its absolutely obvious that he has no idea what he's writing about which is why he's spouting bollocks for the Daily Fail angry

Try being a woman. Try going into a coffee shop and having the man behind you press his groin into your back. Try nipping into a pub to use the toilet and have people leer at you. Try sitting on a train or bus beside someone who 'accidentally' leaves their hand palm up on the seat as you sit down. Try being judged,not on your abilities and achievements, but on how 'hot' you look. Try having a wave of stupid pricks telling you that it wasn't really rape when a man forces his penis inside you.

Instead of warning women how not to get raped,warn men that rape is always wrong.

ApocalypseThen Sun 26-May-13 08:25:02

The main message I got from the article is that Mr Ross is potentially a very dangerous man, and women would be well advised to keep their distance.

WuzzleMonkey Sun 26-May-13 08:29:24

Zillion, I don't really understand what you mean when you say this:

"involving more violence and degradation than required to commit the offence"

rape is an act of violence and degradation in and of itself. Your turn of phrase there makes it sound as though rape is a 'job' that can be completed with minimal distress to the victim.

Though I appreciate that the point you were making is that some rapes involve more violence and physical pain than others.

Anifrangapani Sun 26-May-13 08:31:02

Or be a woman and have your bum patted by a small boy ( younger than my son) and the father say "on ya son". That happened yesterday I guess I was behaving in a provocitive manner as I was talking to my husband and son. How very dare I not have my back to a wall and my eyes cast to the floor.

He is also factually incorrect - women are more likely to be jailed for longer in like for like offences. Women are also more likely to be given custodial sentences for non criminal offences eg non payment of tv licence.

hackmum Sun 26-May-13 08:32:32

They never give up, do they? We've been hearing all this stuff for years and years and years. The poor old menz. Wrongly accused of rape just because the woman was too drunk/didn't shout No loud enough/had the audacity to be too damned attractive.

It's particularly unfortunate that he's coming out with this stuff right now, when barely a day goes past without us hearing of some vile atrocity perpetuated by men against girls and women - the Cleveland kidnappings, the Oxford sex ring, the Chetham's sexual abuse, the Tia Sharpe case, the Stuart Hall conviction, and on and on I could go. But instead of focusing his anger on the relentless abuse suffered by women, instead we get some diatribe about how men are the victims. Well, he can fuck right off.

Minifingers Sun 26-May-13 08:34:51

Where's Lisbet Salander when you need her?

This is a hideous, creepy article.

The problem with sex crime in the UK isn't that many men are being unfairly convicted of rape or receiving unjustly long sentences. It's that too few cases are coming to court.

It's so wrong headed its hard to know where to start.

CoalDustWoman Sun 26-May-13 08:46:45

Blimey.

Is he worried about Yewtree and getting his mitigation in early?

And, yes. More articles about perpetrators as a group would be refreshing. Or what some men really think, because I'm not sure if women on the whole believe it. Like this m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/24/india-rape-disturbing-attitudes-men

CoalDustWoman Sun 26-May-13 08:47:36

Or like nick ross', i suppose, but with less obvious endorsement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now