Inlaws threw away my kettle

(159 Posts)
ZenGardener Sat 25-May-13 09:45:59

I had to go away for work so my inlaws came to stay to watch the kids which was very nice of them BUT I came back and they have bought a new kettle and toaster. I'm not bothered about the toaster but I'm fucking fuming about the kettle. They have taken the old ones away with them.

There was nothing wrong with my kettle, it was old but perfectly fine. They bought a fancy smancy one. I don't need a fancy kettle, I just need something to boil water.

I appreciate I'm tired, pregnant and have a headache but isn't that really rude?

Montybojangles Mon 27-May-13 09:32:33

What conditions were attached to these presents Wibbly ? I don't see any.

As someone with a shelf full of broken electrical equipment I can't be arsed to take to the tip for correct disposal, I think they were trying to be helpful in removing the old ones. I would imagine Japan's recycling laws regarding electrical equipment are more stringent than ours.

The op herself states her old toaster was something of a fire hazard.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Mon 27-May-13 09:41:54

Monty - I'd say the conditions come in the form of implied criticism and removal of choice. The OP can't even switch back to her original kettle as it's been taken away! So - she is forced to stick with their choices or spend money she doesn't have on replacements for her own choice of goods.

Whilst I do think that cultural issues may well have played a part here, assuming tha the ILs are Japanese and this is regarded as normal in their view (though I'm no expert and don't know this), equally the ILs should have some regard for the OP's cultural background and right to privacy.

On a lighter note, my MIL (well intentioned but overbearing) insists on a teapot (an old one of hers, incidentally) being used every time we have tea at our house. This annoys me no end, particularly since she makes the weakest tea imaginable, using one bag per pot!!! Many years ago, after she had left, between DH and I, the teapot got shoved away at the back of the cupboard somewhere. Cue her next visit and finding green and mouldy tea bags rotting away in her beloved teapot. She didn't insist again for a while, hahahaha.

LIZS Mon 27-May-13 09:45:17

and an expectation of gratitude

NannySunshine Mon 27-May-13 09:45:17

Bloody hell, they're barking!!

Next time leave a giant, very specific, shopping list on the fridge - then at least what they buy might be useful?! grin

At least they don't live next door smile

DontmindifIdo Mon 27-May-13 09:50:29

Why not IKnowWhat - the OP did'nt want the new all singing all dancing kettle, why should she be forced to use something that doesn't meet her needs because her PIL prefer it to the one that does meet her needs?

That way you end up with a housefull of someone else's tastes and crap because you aren't able to say no, I prefer ABC. I'd have done exactly the same.

Scruffey Mon 27-May-13 10:02:14

They probably meant well and thought they were doing you a favour but I would be absolutely fuming if that happened to me so Yanbu. I like my £10 kettle and £15 toaster and wouldn't want fancy ones either. I also like my ten year old towels.

diddl Mon 27-May-13 11:49:52

It doesn't take much to see what people like if you want to buy more of the same.

I don't have any microfaser towels-because I don't like them-so why would people buy them for me?

Because they think that what they use is better & I should too?

I suppose the kettle can't be returned?

diddl Mon 27-May-13 11:51:28

If they hate OPs stuff so much-why not bring their own to use?

I think as pp said, it's throwing her stuff away-therefore giving her now choice but theirs that's shit.

Jenijena Mon 27-May-13 13:23:12

Yanbu. I would do as you are doubt (bag and hide) and if they come again explain very sweetly that it was lovely that they bought everything they did, but if they want to get something, here is an exact list...

The first time I visited my in laws, I noticed their very tacky naff looking wall mounted 3-thing dispenser in the shower cubicle. It's like a multiple of the worst sort of motorway services soap dispensers. I rolled my eyes at now DH and forgot about it.

Guess what we got for the first Christmas after we did up our bathroom?

We 'lost' it for several years in the loft, every time they visited they offered to install it and they were just about to buy us a new one (this must have been about four years later) when I came clean and said it wasn't really my taste. When they asked for it back... But we genuinely have lost it now. Shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now