not to be overjoyed that a mother of four is being sent to jail for massive benefit fraud?

(219 Posts)

story here

I just wonder what will happen to the children in this case. The crime Amanda Webber committed is serious and she should be punished but taking the mother away from her 8 children for up to 4 years will have a damaging effect on these children. The sentence should be in the community and involve her paying back society with work, making a contribution - not being housed in a prison.

This is not to undermine the seriousness of the offence I just can't see the 'benefit' to society of locking this person up - she is not dangerous - she does need to accept what she has done is so very wrong and make amends this can be done in a community sentence surely. The children should not be punished if it can be avoided.

Just my thoughts on hearing the news.

The benefit might be that people think twice before committing benefit fraud when they see that it is actually taken seriously?

Roshbegosh Fri 24-May-13 18:42:53

It is a pity for the children but she should have thought of that. I think she is where she should be, women can't get away with crime just because they have children.

Trills Fri 24-May-13 18:43:56

Of course it is not unreasonable to be not overjoyed.

It's never unreasonable to "not be overjoyed" at anything, ever.

ll31 Fri 24-May-13 18:44:16

Think amt she stole justifies sentence. Am sorry for children but don't think community service sentence is enough tbh

Possibly - jail time for crime - does not prevent crime being committed - other wise prisons would not be overcrowded - or am I missing something.confused

Hulababy Fri 24-May-13 18:45:59

Would you feel the same if it was a father of 4 committing benefit fraud?

Or a childless person who was committing benefit fraud?

Hulababy Fri 24-May-13 18:46:49

sorry father of 5 or however many

sweetkitty Fri 24-May-13 18:47:07

Huge amount of money, in surprised it wasn't picked up earlier that her children didn't have disabilities.

She was totally taking the p, a bit different from someone doing a bit if cash in hand work for Christmas or something.

Ceraunia Fri 24-May-13 18:50:07

She actually pretended they had disabilities. I feel sorry for the children only.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 24-May-13 18:51:39

I'm not shocked that she has been jailed.

It wasn't a case of struggling to make ends meet but with gaining £10,000 on some months is greed.

orangepudding Fri 24-May-13 18:51:55

She committed a crime and needs to be punished. Yes it's unfair on her children but she made a choice.

Children are more affected (in general) by their mothers being sent to prison. I believe prison sentences are overused - imaginative community sentencing could be more appropriate and beneficial. In my opinion - I understand the anger this woman's crime has attracted - she is despicable. But will locking her up prevent benefit fraud or make society better? I am not convinced on that point.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Fri 24-May-13 18:54:20

She should not be given a community sentence just because she has children.

Her being jailed might actually make people think twice before committing fraud.

Children are more affected (in general) by their mothers being sent to prison.

She should have thought about that then, should she not?

Hulababy Fri 24-May-13 18:55:03

You can't have one rule for one part of society and not the other.

So, mums can't go to prison but dads can. That just can't work.

WMittens Fri 24-May-13 18:55:38

The crime Amanda Webber committed is serious and she should be punished but taking the mother away from her 8 children for up to 4 years will have a damaging effect on these children.

Am I alone in thinking that it would do them more damage to leave her with them? This could well be the best thing for them.

Hulababy Fri 24-May-13 18:56:47

And the only person who she can blame for hurting her children by not being around for them is herself. She CHOSE to commit the offence, and not just a one off here remember. It was well thought out and executed. She deliberately lied and took what was not hers.

It is her own fault. She is the one who has made this happen.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 24-May-13 18:58:17

So are you saying that if someone commits a crime and happens to be a mother - they should be exempt from facing the consequences of their choice?

I don't think that can ever be right.

I would want a community sentence for most financial crime/ fraud to be considered before a prison sentence. If possible non violent criminals should pay back society through working and making reparations - that goes for men and women.

Ilovemyself Fri 24-May-13 19:03:27

Perhaps if sentences were tougher and prisons not such an easy touch it may actually be a deterrent.

This isn't a matter of her earnings going up and her continuing to claim benefits.

She would have year after year had to make up disabilities for her healthy children and fill in complex forms, which is incredabely sick, tbh.

This will add fuel to those who think that it is easy to have DLA awarded for children and that we need a tightening upof the system, rather than it being a one off.

I bet that next time ATOS is debated, this will be mentioned.

She took it to extremes and let greed take over,because of the amount involved and it being DLA, Carers allowance, which requires greater deception than a simple overpayment of JSA etc, i think that a custodial sentance is appropriate.

She will not serve any where near that time, but it will stay on her record, as it is a sentence of over three years, which was probably the aim.

tiggytape Fri 24-May-13 19:03:58

Anytime a parent is sent to prison, it potentially has life changing consequences for the children they leave behind.
Actually the same goes for adult dependents too - carers and partners and parents who rely on the person who is convicted.

It is very sad that innocent people suffer through something they had no part in but, part of the deterrent of committing more serious crimes is supposed to be knowing the impact on your loved ones if you get caught - what would happen to the children, would they lose their home, lose their job or destroy their marriage if they were got a custodial sentence.

If you literally give mothers a get out of jail card, the deterrent for serious fraud is then pretty minimal compared to the gains to be made.
Community service as a deterrent for a crime netting £350k is no deterrent at all. Even if she did 10 years community service fulltime, it would hardly make up for it in a financial sense let alone as a punishment on top as well.

CAF275 Fri 24-May-13 19:04:52

She should have thought of the consequences before comitting the crime. Zero sympathy from me. Kids are probably better off without her anyway tbh.

Floggingmolly Fri 24-May-13 19:04:55

You not being overjoyed doesn't make the decision a wrong one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now