Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think she should know my order by now?

(134 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 08:26:59

(This is sort of lighthearted. I'm not actually bent out of shape over it.)

Every morning (well, about four out of five weekday mornings) I go to my local Greg's and I order the exact same thing. I smile and I say:

"Good morning! I'd like a bacon roll with a little bit of brown sauce, a chocolate eclaire, and a white coffee with three sugars, please."

Most mornings, the same woman takes my order and, even though I've probably said these words to her two dozen times over the past few weeks, she always looks at me as if she's never seen me before, and she has to ask at least once while preparing my order a question like, "Do you want sausage?" or "Do you want brown sauce?" or "How many sugars?"

There's another woman who works there who does seem to remember me, even though she rarely takes my order. She also offered me a loyalty/reward card thing where you get stamps for a free coffee, because she recognized that I'm a daily regular. I must have been in there a dozen times (served by the forgetful woman) before I even knew they existed.

Is the forgetful woman winding me up? Or am I just deluded to think that someone should remember me (the really tall American who has the exact same thing every morning)?

Also, if Greg's is on your Bingo card, you're welcome. I'll try to come back and drip feed something about parking in here, later.

Ta!

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 16:54:06

That post was a garbled mess of poor sentence construction and stupid phone auto corrects. blush

DeskPlanner Fri 24-May-13 18:19:33

Ooh, Katy. I never realized you are American.

There was a thread about you the other day, asking if you had been to that festival yet. That makes you MN royalty in my book.

<missed point of thread>

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 18:24:54

There was a thread about me?!

I have the oposite problem. I went to our local Starbucks... twice. Just to meet friends - I am not a big fan. The second time I was greeted with "Hi Angel! Do you want your usual?" I was flabbergasted that a) she remembered my name b) that one large hot chocolate with a hazlenut shot can be considered a usual. I was even more surprised a month or so later when the same lady pulled up during a rainstorm and shouted "Hi Angel, do you want a ride home?" - it took me a shameful ten minutes after declining to figure where I had seen her before...

I'd rather have a shop lady NOT remember me, than act stalkerish... (although the starbucks lady is lovely really). Especially if I was always ordering something really bad for me.

MrsBertMacklin Fri 24-May-13 18:53:20

Above post has reminded me that in my last job I had to stop going to the McDonald's drive through and bring packed lunches in, after I started relaying my order and the man interrupted with "is this the lady who always asks for extra pickles in your cheeseburgers, don't worry, i know the rest."

I swear I was only there every day because the site I was working on was in the arse end of a retail park, it was either that or a sandwich from the BP forecourt.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 24-May-13 19:10:53

I wonder how many customers she serves in a day.

I wonder how many of them come in several times a week.

I don't know how anyone remembers dozens (or more) people and links them to what they normally order. I know I wouldn't be able to.

If you were the only person who goes in there, then I'd agree with you, it would be odd for her to not remember.

There are waiting staff out there who can remember each one of their regular customers (hell, even know who's regular and who's occasional and who's never been in before!) AND know what they order, and hats off to them. (there's a restaurant we go to regularly and they know us and it's nice. And we had to change branches of mcdonalds when the drive through server remarked that we'd changed our car blush ) But I wouldn't think anything of someone not being able to do that.

DeskPlanner Sat 25-May-13 18:45:55

Yes, Katy, a thread about you !grin It was called something like, did the MNer go to the festival. A few people posted wondering the same. Then it was pointed out, that it hadn't happened yet grin . So when you do go you'd better come back and tell us all about it.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 25-May-13 19:35:52

Hah! I didn't see it. I'm touched that anybody cared. grin

SoleSource Sat 25-May-13 20:22:12

Greggs is a shop!

I love Americans grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now