IABVVVVU but I cringe inside when I see

(337 Posts)
AmataesAmataes Tue 21-May-13 14:14:56

Girls names with -Ella, -lily, -mae, -Rae, -lee or any variation

Following on from my name thread and a couple of threads I've seen about rochelle from the Saturdays new baby,I can't help but cringe when I see any of the above e.g. Gracie-Mae

I am being VVVV judgey pants but I find it so overdone, twee and chavvy.

I'm ready for my flaming!

BuzzardBird Mon 24-Feb-14 11:05:53

'May' I say that this is a zombie thread and there 'may' be a lot more 'mai/mae/mays' out there now, in fact we 'may' be over-run with them.

<looks forward to May>

aGirlDownUnder1 Mon 24-Feb-14 11:00:20

I must be a chav then because my DD name is Gracie and she was born in '99 and this was in NZ and her middle name is Anne, after MiL. Which was very overused then. I'm a chav and proud!

poopadoop Mon 24-Feb-14 08:36:49

What terrible snobs you all are. Only in the UK would you get such a thread! Would you say a particular name sounded 'a bit black'? Well you're using the same logic, but in relation to class. All this 'we're not chavs, we've a posh last name'. Unreal

LouiseSmith Mon 24-Feb-14 08:19:43

Looks like Katie Hopkins has a mumsnet account smile lol.

My son has 2 children in his family with something-Mae, I wouldn't choose it my self. But like the something-Louise craze from when I was born (cheers mum) give it 20 years and it will hardly be heard. X

glastocat Mon 24-Feb-14 08:15:13

Im not keen on May, but only because my Auntie May is a right old trout. grin

thegreylady Mon 24-Feb-14 08:00:42

Cowers from ZOMBIE invasion.........

Mushypeasandchipstogo Mon 24-Feb-14 07:56:15

Totally agree with you OP. Fed up with those awful girls' names. Just wondering what the equivalent boys' names are?

6cats3gingerkittens Mon 24-Feb-14 00:00:43

I have much to be grateful for, there was a Tryphena Iphiginia on my fathers side.

Coconutty Sun 23-Feb-14 22:26:32

Zombieeeeee thread.

deakymom Sun 23-Feb-14 22:25:38

may was my nans name i thought it was too old fashioned blush

OldCatLady Sun 23-Feb-14 22:22:32

Hmmmm....I must be a chav then....I named my daughter Daisy May (no hyphen) but she's 23 now, so way before this 'trend'. People have always commented on how pretty it is.

Flowers and months are tradition in my family...my name is primrose (always just rose) my sister is Holly May, our mother is April Rose, her sisters are Daisy and Iris, my cousin is jasmine, and my grandmother June Marguerite (French for daisy). I think they're all very pretty....we must be trailer trash :D

Note....I actually come from a very 'respectable' family, we're not chavs!

kennyp Sun 15-Sep-13 21:27:30

I don't think it's chavvy - lots of smalls at the school where I work are -mae or -may. I think it's quite sweet really.

if I had another one I would call her April-May. Woo hoo. an actual calendar girl ....

absentmindeddooooodles Mon 02-Sep-13 11:39:16

Where I am lilly-mae especially is very very common. Not in a horrid way I just mean I know alot of childeren with that name or variations of. I think its a pretty name. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Some people I around here do judge this kind of name. Not saying thats right in the slightest. Personally I think each to their own and it should have nothing to do with anyone else.

As long as a childs name is not something ridiculous that they will be bullied for, then I see no problem whatsoever.

It seems every name on mumsnet comes up with some opposition. My ds is jude. I was met with quite alot of nasty comments about how I would be setting him up to bw bullied by giving him a girls name. Also had comments about it being both chavvy and stuck up! I love his name and think it auits him. Thats good enough for me.

Chocolatehunter Mon 02-Sep-13 10:43:12

My nan was called Lily-May, although she hated being addressed by her full name so everyone called her Lil.

DrCoconut Mon 02-Sep-13 10:30:16

My aunt was called Florence May. She was born in the 1920's.

MaidOfStars Mon 02-Sep-13 08:59:38

Bluestocking Ahem. If so many people have beloved older relatives called May, why does no-one use it as a first name?

As a single syllable, I suspect it scans more naturally as the second of two names.

I am also surprised at those who don't know any Mays. It's used not only a name in its own right but also as a diminutive of Mary/Margaret. I know several, although that might be skewed by an Irish branch of the family, where I think it's more common a name anyway.

LeoandBoosmum Mon 02-Sep-13 00:19:02

I'm generally not a fan of two names as a first name.

megsmouse Mon 02-Sep-13 00:16:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

manicinsomniac Sun 01-Sep-13 22:24:44

Rose, May and Grace are the Louise, Jane and Marie of the last generations middle names. All 6 are nice enough names and I don't think they indicate any particular class. They're all just popular at the time.

My double barrelled name hasn't stopped me getting a degree from a posh uni or a good job. I hate it because it's a mouthful (Rebecca-Jane) but nobody's ever been snobby about it despite it being rather an Ellie-Rose/Lucy-May/Emily-Grace of the 80s.

Common, yes. Lower class, I don't think so.

Bluestocking Sun 01-Sep-13 10:51:33

Ahem. If so many people have beloved older relatives called May, why does no-one use it as a first name? It is a pretty name, but a bit overdone as a middle name.

hogwartsismyhome Sun 01-Sep-13 09:52:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elQuintoConyo Sun 01-Sep-13 09:31:20

Overdone - maybe.
Twee and chavvy - get a life.

My actual surname was May. People assumed it was a hyphenated name and called me MyName-May until I'd ask why they were addressing me by my surname in casual conversation confused

Used to drive me batty.

ExcuseTypos Sun 01-Sep-13 09:17:03

Well I know a 17 year old Ella May so its not a recent ' chavy' thing. She's working towards going to Oxbridge so I doubt her name will hold her back.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 01-Sep-13 00:14:57

To be honest worse than any normal hyphenated name I find it very upsetting that respectively 3 girls each were registered as

Daisy-
Summer-

in 2012 according to the latest ONS list. I meant - wtf is that about?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now