IABVVVVU but I cringe inside when I see

(337 Posts)
AmataesAmataes Tue 21-May-13 14:14:56

Girls names with -Ella, -lily, -mae, -Rae, -lee or any variation

Following on from my name thread and a couple of threads I've seen about rochelle from the Saturdays new baby,I can't help but cringe when I see any of the above e.g. Gracie-Mae

I am being VVVV judgey pants but I find it so overdone, twee and chavvy.

I'm ready for my flaming!

Dixiefish Sat 06-Jul-13 12:25:41

It's the peculiar spellings that get me too - eg there's a Jazzmynn in DD's ballet class. That poor kid is for ever going to be correcting the way people spell her name!

Pinkflipflop Sat 06-Jul-13 12:32:51

I cringe when I see idiots with nothing better to do than criticise other people's name choices.

Have a biscuit

TimeofChange Sat 06-Jul-13 13:31:00

This thread proves that the class divide is alive and well.

Some of you are obsessed with chavviness to a very unhealthy degree.

BlackStiltonBoots Sat 06-Jul-13 13:54:07

I can't muster the enthusiasm to care what other people call their children really OP, it's just a waste of energy. You must be uncomfortable all the time with your judgy pants wedged up your backside every time you hear or see certain names sad.

Loopylala7 Sat 06-Jul-13 14:01:40

Judge all you like, but I know lots of girls of my generation with a first or middle name with a variation of Anne (including me - had a house share with 5 of us and that's before I start with other friendship circles). I guess it's just what's in fashion at the time.

gotthemoononastick Sat 06-Jul-13 14:30:59

Even Alexandra or Etheldreda is (whispers) chavvie if continuously screamed across Tesco at a child.Was put off Amelie forever yesterday,mainly by this and terrible accent.

FeegleFion Sat 06-Jul-13 14:53:44

I thought I'd read this thread before.

I know a Gracie-Rae, an Evie-Rae, and a Lily-May.

All very lovely IMHO and none of my business even if I didn't.

It's a fashion of the time. I, too, grew up with lots of girls with names such as Leigh-Anne, Lee-Anne, Margaret-Ann, Tracey-Anne, Anne-Marie etcetera and mine own name is a double-barrelled, hyphenated name with Ann after the first.

Please leave children's names alone. It's distasteful to make such sweeping statements about those with names that you don't approve of being chavvy.

DD's middle name is May. She was named after her grandmother.

Guess we must be chavvy then.

TBF I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. Her name is lovely, she is lovely and so was her grandmother.

comelywenchlywoo Sat 06-Jul-13 22:26:00

wish people would stop saying "it's rude to slag off children's names, and anyway, May is better than Archie".

not-that-DS's-name-is-Archie-oh-no

SplitHeadGirl Sat 06-Jul-13 22:31:36

My daughter is called Cadhla, an Irish name (I'm Irish) meaning a beauty that can only be expressed through poetry. So beautiful. It is pronounced Kyla, and I know certain idiotic people make judgements when they hear it.

FeegleFion Sat 06-Jul-13 22:33:34

Archie is a boss name! I know an awesomely cool little Archie dude grin

comelywenchlywoo Sun 07-Jul-13 20:27:48

Thanks FeegleFion you might be struck off MN for daring to say so! Our Archie is quite the dude himself. thanks

Cherriesarelovely Sun 07-Jul-13 20:39:17

My Dd has a name that some on MN say is going to be like a Sharon or Tracey type name in the future because it has become so common. I really don't care. I love her name. I teach children with all sorts of unusual names (and some that are less unusual) they are all lovely kids and their names make no difference at all.

kerala Sun 07-Jul-13 20:42:51

I think May is this generations Jane or Louise - over used middle name. Don't see anything chavvy about it just over used.

But I am getting weary of common names now. Eve, Ella, Grace, Lily, Oliver, Ben, Noah, Jacob, Isabel stop please these names are full! There are stacks of great names that are underused you don't have to veer towards Moon Unit or Apple etc am thinking John, Tess, Mary, Hester, Alex and so on.

southeastastra Sun 07-Jul-13 20:46:24

life really is too short to 'cringe' inside on what others call their children.

take the stick from out of your arse and find something else to worry about.

x

DMD2205 Sat 17-Aug-13 00:18:05

There are lots of people on these baby name threads who make assumptions. Mae isn't to be different in wales it's the correct spelling. I have to correct people all the time here because my daughter is a -May. She was born in may and its the month of the year that everything looks at its freshest green and full of life. The month full of hope for a beautiful summer. I work in the criminal justice system and have seen Jago tattooed on a couple of necks lately but on here people seem to love it. One thread was suggesting that -may type names could jeopardise their professional development without realising that this would only occur to you if judging people both on names and on professions, which is a bit shallow, is something you yourself do. Thus if this happens it will be those very people who will be responsible for such injustices. There was a bitter row about my daughter's name, Daisy-may some time ago that went on all evening and night and made me realise when i read it tonight that the people involved must not bath and read to their children because they wouldn't have had time to! But then I thought that it would be really uncharitable to make such an assumption on such little information!

My daughters middle name is Mae.

and her first name is spelt the none traditional way.

Boha, don't like it you know where the door is.

I think those who judge others on their choices for their children are pathetic and have no life of their own. Obviously they have nothing to worry about in their lives, otherwise it would be a none issue.

DMD2205 Sat 17-Aug-13 07:42:30

I think the toffs on toffs-net are peed off because the commoners have pinched some really pretty names lately, ones they can't ho ho ho scoff scoff at like they could at Chardonnay. May is a perfectly solid old fashioned name and baby girls have been being named after flowers and plants for hundreds of years. Is Iris Murdoch a chavvy name too?

Ilovemyself Sat 17-Aug-13 07:48:41

So everyone had a pop at Katie whatshername about her comments and now people are saying names are chavvy. Mmmmm. Double standards ?

OHforDUCKScake Sat 17-Aug-13 07:52:43

I thought this was a new thread, I read the third reply and thought OMG someone who finally agrees with me! Looked at the name of the poster to see who it was and it was me.

Ilovemyself Sat 17-Aug-13 07:57:47

OhFor. If that's the only one agreeing out of 270 posts what does that say lol. Just get over it. You like some names and don't like others. And - shock horror - others like the names you dislike and vice versa. Did anyone die because of it. No!

It's like people are saying their choice of name is superior to others.

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 08:00:37

My daughter is called Cordelia-Mai

Sirzy Sat 17-Aug-13 08:11:52

I sometimes thing "that's a bit strange/oh another one" whilst saying "that's a nice name" but that is pretty much as far as my interest in other children's names goes.

I do think some children will hate the fact that they have been given a "unique" name or spelling of a name as they get older. But then DS might hate the fact he has been given a pretty common name.

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 08:27:08

My (late 70s-born) DH is called Daniel. He hates it for being so popular. I love it and would have loved to call DS it.
DD not called Cordelia-Mai btw grin

dementedma Sat 17-Aug-13 09:26:36

I have a Rosie and an Ellie. I was waaaay ahead of my time though as they are both in their 20s grin
<trailblazer emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now