To think that the Eastern Bloc have ruined the Eurovision Song Contest?

(85 Posts)
CelticPixie Sat 18-May-13 23:09:56

Call me sad but I have always loved the Eurovision and indeed look forward to it each year. Its always been good fun, but in the last ten years or so since the former Eastern Bloc nations were allowed to enter its changed and not for the better. The fun has gone now.

There has always been some political and neighbourly voting but now its got to the stage where the Western countries are at a massive disadvantage and struggle to get the points needed to win.

Is it wrong the hanker for the old days?

Mimishimi Sun 19-May-13 22:24:56

The singer from Spain was awful but they had a bit of my sympathy when our pig-ignorant TV commentator here in Australia said sarcastically "Because nothing says Spain quite so much as a bagpipe does it?". Well, actually, you idiot, Spain has one of the oldest continuous Celtic cultures in the world in the northwest (Galicia mainly) and it is thought they introduced the pipes to the British Isles. It annoys me that everyone just sees Spain as the land of castanets and guitar culturally and musically (as lovely as they are).

WafflyVersatile Sun 19-May-13 23:31:37

There are approximately eleventy-one competitors. Statistically you can only hope to win once in every eleventy-one years. The countries which have won more than once in the past 20 years have not been Eastern Bloc. A good song will make sales whether it wins or not.

Norway was robbed though.

kotinka Sun 19-May-13 23:34:23

Norway was better than the winning song, I agree.

Who select the British entries, though?

Norway has "mini eurovision" where local talent compete, much like in X factor, and then the people vote by phone, along with "professional juries". I think it is the same in Sweden, but I am not sure?

Bramshott Tue 21-May-13 10:26:43

Isn't it just a bit of fun confused

And what could have been more fun than that Romanian entry grin???!

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 21-May-13 10:29:22

We tried that quint, but the great British public kept voting to have complete bollocks to represent us - we voted for that Daz bloke with the school girls and the rapping <shudder>

So then Andrew Lloyd Weber started writing the songs and we just voted for who would sing them. I'm not sure why anyone thought that was a good idea hmm

And now I think there is a panel who recruit ageing popstars once vaguely popular in Europe and try and convince them it won't kill their careers.

Nobody in Europe would understand British School girls.

Heck, it took me living here more than 10 years before I vaguely understood references to St Trinians. grin

Heck, this was a very fun Norwegian Entry that was rightly given a very un-mozartly treatment!

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 21-May-13 10:47:04

Excellent dancing grin

This is Daz, aka why the public don't get to choose anymore.

I think we could do really well if we could convince a currently popular UK artist to do it. Our music industry is really good, and very popular worldwide. But we don't take it seriously so that won't happen.

I don't really mind, I enjoy watching regardless of how many points we get.

kotinka Tue 21-May-13 10:54:50

God I'd forgotten Daz, pass me the mindbleach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now