to think the teacher shouldn't have called DN a bloody stupid twat?

(258 Posts)
wetspringday Sat 18-May-13 22:31:50

DN was working on a compter yesterday and leaned back in his chair (shouldn't have done this) but he knocked over a cup of coffee that went over coursework. The teacher yelled at DN and called him a bloody stupid twat.

DN wasn't bothered and seemed to find it quite funny but I think I'd probably have to say something to the teacher concerned along the lines of it not being acceptable. DN is in Year 10 by the way (15.)

AIBU?

cory Wed 22-May-13 13:50:05

My children are enormously precious to me. If they were struggling or suffering or unable to cope I would be right there for them. What they don't need is for me to intervene when they are already coping.

This 15yo was not struggling or upset: he was amused at the teacher's faux pas.

He was not upset so he doesn't need help with that aspect.

He was amused which shows he recognises the incongruity of it- in other words, he doesn't need help to understand that swearing in a professional setting is wrong; he already does.

I don't see what he needs help with.

TwistTee Wed 22-May-13 14:01:34

I think what people are missing here is that this wasn't normal behaviour for the teacher. The shock from the other children suggests this. No, it isn't acceptable, but are we all so blood thirsty that we cannot accept teachers have bad days, are human and may occasionally lose it.

My mum, former teacher in a country were corporal punishment was the norm, but who never hit a child, once lost it with a teenage girl who disrupted the class to the point the lesson couldn't continue and then refused to leave the class. Mum picked up a black board ruler and smacked it across a desk in anger. It broke, the girl left the class in shock and mum came home so upset with herself. It is one of the few times I have seen my mum cry and she is fairly tough. She was a great teacher as many of her former students will testify to, but on this one occasion she felt she let herself and her class down by letting the girl get the better of her.

Blissx Wed 22-May-13 16:50:48

cory (love your very well thought out posts by the way) - when you say "Mummy shouldn't deal with it", in the case of the OP, "Aunties shouldn't deal with it' either!

As not only the student but the parents were not offended by the outburst, it should end there. The Aunt shouldn't have wanted to involved and that is what most of the initial posts were saying. Then it got weird after some MNetters focused on the hot drink. The OP has long gone from this thread-I can see why!

xylem8 Wed 22-May-13 18:53:39

'are we all so blood thirsty that we cannot accept teachers have bad days, are human and may occasionally lose it.'

..being professional means keeping a lid on your emotions and NOT losing it!

Picturepuncture Wed 22-May-13 19:36:00

So yes then.

GoblinGranny Wed 22-May-13 19:37:59

And you know what?
A lovely big mug of sweet delicious coffee help you do that. grin
Or three.

SuffolkNWhat Wed 22-May-13 20:25:41

xylem so you would complain about my outburst two weeks ago then? If you don't want to read back I'm pregnant, the class knew this, one of them assaulted me in the stomach. I swore loudly but not directed at the child in question, would you be storming up to the school then?

Teachers are human, sometimes circumstances mean we slip up and say/do things that we would never dream of doing. I was mortified I swore in front of those Year 8s as I was being taken to A&E and had to be calmed down by my colleague who told me the school would back me on any complaints. My concern should have been more about my unborn child but because of the culture of blame/fear we teachers now exist in I was more worried about the parent of the child who assaulted me complaining about my language.

olivertheoctopus Wed 22-May-13 20:27:53

I'd be cross, yes. No teacher should swear at their pupils. And they prob shouldn't leave cups of coffee next to coursework either but she's presumably cross with herself about that particular fact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now