to think I can be in my 40s and ride a scooter (like kids ones but built for adults) and they can all 'do one?'

(72 Posts)
captainBeaky Thu 16-May-13 19:05:48

That really

storytopper Thu 16-May-13 19:28:19

This company makes scooters for adults:

www.swiftyscooters.com/

Looks like they are based on the scooters the Amish use in the USA

www.amishscooters.com/

MadameOvary Thu 16-May-13 19:29:40

I think the Universe is trying to tell me something.
First I have a dream about scooting up the road (it was awesome!)
Then DD brings home an abandoned scooter today.
Now this thread.
Tempted...

louisianablue2000 Thu 16-May-13 19:33:04

micro scooters make scooters for adults. Just saying...

I wasn't playing on the swing for about 10 minutes last time we went to the play park, oh no

freddiefrog Thu 16-May-13 19:33:26

I ride my DD's back from school.

We kept getting them nicked so I refuse to leave it in the scooter racks at school and bring it home in the morning and take it with me in the afternoon. Riding it is the quickest and easiest way to do so it also means I can leave 5 minutes later and catch the end of Escape to the Country

DD has one of those 2 legged V shaped ones, dead easy to ride and you can get quite a speed up

hellohellohihi Thu 16-May-13 19:34:47

I just came on here to post about adult scooters as DH is contemplating getting one to help speed up his mammoth commute.

Where do we even start to look?? He'll need one he can carry on the train and tube...

Amrapaali Thu 16-May-13 19:38:07

Get a Segway Beaky, you'll look really cool and with it (like a security guard at an American mall)

grin

Abra1d Thu 16-May-13 19:40:29

I used to have to get my car serviced four miles from my home. My bike wouldn't fit in the boot, so I used to take a child's scooters. Some funny looks, but it saved me masses of time getting home again. Just make sure you do rotate the pushing leg or you'll get sore muscles.

Abra1d Thu 16-May-13 19:41:04

Oh, and I was 44 when I used to do this.

captainBeaky Thu 16-May-13 19:47:05

madamovary... I dreamt you were riding one! Gooooooo onnnnnnnnnnnnn

KD0706 Thu 16-May-13 19:55:38

I met a lady last week who was scooting around town.
She was with her two children, one on a bike and the other on a scooter and said it was how she kept up with them.

When I saw her my first thought was how much fun it looked. And my second was how practical it was.

I don't think YABU at all, go for it.

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Thu 16-May-13 19:59:40

I'd love to scoot back from dropping DS at nursery but I'd feel ridiculous.

Micro sends me their catalogue every few months. I quite like this one.

CheapBread Thu 16-May-13 20:00:12

Hear hear OP.
The more people use them the more acceptable they'll become. I'd love one but my commute is literally a couple of metres.
People aren't active enough, and that's why we're turning into fat feckers.
I always have a go of the swings in the park- and monkey bars. It's fun (and hard work).

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Thu 16-May-13 20:05:15

My DH has had one for years. He is very satisfied. It shortens his commute. It is foldable, has a step to carry, fits the luggage rack in the train. He does not have to wear Lycra or special clothing. Actually he does use cycling mittens for better grip/ to protect his hand in case of a fall. He has had a few tumbles too when overconfident.

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Thu 16-May-13 20:05:50

Has a strap not a step to carry!

Standingonlego Thu 16-May-13 20:06:26

i have a grown up micro skooter - micro black. It is awesome! I do school run and allsorts on it. Husband does too! It is genuinely practical as can fold up and throw in boot of anyones car. It is fun, fast and i do not care as i love it. My Dad (62) also does the school run on it occassionally smile Now I have outed myself...I skoot to the pub...

Budgiegirlbob Thu 16-May-13 20:08:04

I occasionally ride my daughter's scooter back from school, I'm 44 and look pretty silly on it, but I don't care! However, two kids from along the road nearly managed to put me off as they shouted out of the window as I went past "Oi, old woman, no! ". I ignored them!

Yanbu. Microscooters were originally invented for the commuter in mind!
I was late picking my child up from nursery, had 5 minutes to do a 15 minute walk. I grabbed ds2's razor spark scooter and got there in 5 minutes!
Ds3 wouldn't let me scoot back though!

I had a go on DS (6) scooter and it was proper hard work! I begin to see why his calf muscles are so well defined...

His is one which goes up to adult so I don't see why an adult shouldn't ride it.

5madthings Thu 16-May-13 20:12:35

Yanbu there are a few mums at my kids primary who have the micro scooters for adults and i ride the madthings maxi micro ones, i am under the weight limit and they are fab. I cannot go as fast as the madthings, i tried and it was terrifying!

mazzi2fly Thu 16-May-13 20:19:19

I've had a scooter for years! I bought one when I was 18, and used it for commuting to work. I've kept it, and although while the children were small I didn't use it much, I use it loads now.

We all have scooters, and it's our favourite way to spend a Saturday, at the sea front whizzing along for miles. DH sometimes rollerblades instead but that's a bit more hassle as he needs to changes his shoes, and can't pop down onto the beach.

LydiasLunch Thu 16-May-13 21:02:56

Go for it! I ride an adult tricycle and I bloody love it.

quoteunquote Thu 16-May-13 21:15:56

I still use a skate board as a quick way down to the shops, we have some great hills here in devon it would silly to waste them, I wasn't aware there was an age limit on skating, and scooters are sort of the same.

Tony Hawk is in his forties he is the worlds top skater, so why would it be odd for other people of the same generation to use wheels to get about.

and it's so much fun, age limits of fun are silly.

TheoriginalMrsDarcy Thu 16-May-13 21:21:49

Do whatever makes you happy. Have no regrets in life.

If people think its silly, let them.

I think I might have to get one now. Sounds totally fun.

zeno Thu 16-May-13 22:16:48

Adult size micro scooter here, which both dh and I use on the school run. It's bloody brilliant. Far from finding it silly the other grown ups keep asking to have a go.

It's great aerobic activity and fun. What's not to like?

bluecarrot Thu 16-May-13 22:23:27

My legs ache after going on it! Plus I went on it, downhill, after 2 glasses of wine once. Don't do that.

Just remember to often bolts etc and wash it once in a while ( bots every few weeks at start, then once a month, washing I do once a month when I tighten it all up)

DD uses hers daily ( micro scooter, possibly the sprite?) and a little bit of rust is starting to show after 2 years. It's kept inside except for school when it's in a bike shed. I def wouldn't leave it outside in a garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now