Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect my neighbours not to park across my driveway?

(285 Posts)
coldwater Wed 15-May-13 08:43:05

We have our car parked on our drive, it has a drop curb too. Our neighbours have FOUR cars and a commercial work van, they can only fit two cars on their drive so park the other three vehicles on the road, usually with one parked right across my drive. It annoys the hell out of me, its not like they can't see we have a car and its not like i haven't asked them before not to do it.

We don't have a very good past with these neighbours, them doing DIY until 11pm (drilling etc) and waking my kids up, dog being left out for hours in the snow yelping (which i reported), her teenage children trespassing into my back garden and breaking the trellis i put up to stop them doing it and many more things. I had a row with the mum over the DIY, i asked her to stop and she got stroppy saying she could do what she wanted. I have never mentioned the fact i have caught her kids in my garden though.

Anyway, this morning i woke to one of their cars being parked across my drive, i went mad and said i was going round there, dp said just leave it, i am over-reacting. Am i? I now can't use the car today because the man who owns it has gone to work and surprise surprise has the key with him. So annoyed, selfish idiots they are. So AIBU thinking they should use their brains and not park over someones drive and block them in?

Yes i know i could park on the road, never any space thanks to these that think they own the road and i don't want to because of the teens that hang around outside all night getting up to no good.

Cluffyflump Wed 15-May-13 11:26:02

Thanks quint.
I've just lost half an hour watching you tube because of you!

Hope the police make your dickhead neibour move their car, Coldwater.
What toss-pots angry

SerBrienne Wed 15-May-13 11:26:54

I hope you update us with good news, OP.

Whatever happens with the police today, maybe it would be sensible (if galling) to park across your own drive in future, so that you can't be blocked in - at least on occasions when you know you HAVE to use the car.

CSIJanner Wed 15-May-13 11:27:21

From Waltham Forest council, but you get the gist...

^Obstructing any vehicle crossover or other dropped kerb is unlawful therefore the Council’s Civil Enforcement Officers can issue a penalty. Once a penalty has been issued the vehicle may also be towed away.

For a dropped kerb serving a single property entrance, enforcement is normally carried out only when the occupant reports an obstruction as we would not want to penalise residents wishing to park across their own entrances.

Alternatively the Council can take enforcement action against any vehicle found obstructing your vehicle crossover if you request it in writing. If you decide to do this please note you are waiving your own right to park across this dropped kerb since our Civil Enforcement Officers will be instructed to penalise any vehicles they find there either during routine patrols or if a request is received. In the event that you move away we request that you either advise new occupiers of this arrangement or cancel it by writing to us again.^

Report the inconsiderate barstools.

Mwah. Ha. Har!

I hate, hate, hate inconsiderate parking and this thread is giving me the rage on the op's behalf.

LazyMonkeyButler Wed 15-May-13 11:29:57

I'm also hooked now, please come back and update. No work will be done here until I know the outcome grin, with photos if possible.

ALittleBitOfMagic Wed 15-May-13 11:33:59

Just read and now shamelessly marking my place to see what op has done grin

GreenLeafTea Wed 15-May-13 12:00:17

I think the OP got in a ruck with the neighbours and has been arrested.

WandaDoff Wed 15-May-13 12:06:05

She's probably been arrested because the police turned up while she was ramming a potato up the exhaust pipe & caught her red handed grin

Sugarice Wed 15-May-13 12:18:58

I wonder if it was a King Edward or Rooster! wink

Hmm, 3 hours and 19 minutes since she last posted < drums fingers on desk and sips coffee >

ChaoticTranquility Wed 15-May-13 12:34:48

OP where are you?

marciaoverstrand Wed 15-May-13 12:40:13

I would ram the cheeky fuckers tbh! I get the rage when idiots park over the white lines in front of my drive.
I have been known to move my car and park right up their arse so they can't reverse, happy dayssmile

DowntonTrout Wed 15-May-13 12:43:12

Cheeky bastards! I love a good perking thread.

< no help whatsoever!>

DowntonTrout Wed 15-May-13 12:44:07

Perking???? Parking!

Thank god it didn't say Porking!

Bonkerz Wed 15-May-13 12:48:16

I actually had this the other day but car was blocking me getting in. Neighbour was being very aggressive so I rang non emergency police. Operator said pcso couldn't come out because I wasn't blocked IN but then she heard neighbour yelling that he pays his taxes and can park anywhere and said she would happily dispatch a pcso just to tell the neighbour to go read the Highway Code!!!!!!!!! He did actually move while I was on phone so no police needed but PCSO rang me back and had a chuckle with me........... He hasn't done it since!!!!

coldwater Wed 15-May-13 12:55:35

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, i had to walk to the shops to get some grocery's.

Anyway, i rang 101 before i went out, they said they would send someone, i came back and the car is gone! Now i'm like shock. I feel bad now. Oh well, not much i can do about it now, at least i can use my car this afternoon.

SayMama Wed 15-May-13 12:58:09

Hope you're looking for a potato OP!

BlueberryHill Wed 15-May-13 12:58:22

You shouldn't feel bad, they shouldn't have been ignorant, arrogant, anti social sods. They caused it, however if I were you I might pretend to be out later....

Love a good parking thread, it really gets me mad.

digerd Wed 15-May-13 12:58:29

Pity the law isn't for inward access too confused.

NynaevesSister Wed 15-May-13 12:59:32

They might have come while you were out. Either way parking enforcement or PCOS will walk down the street. This will hopefully be a visible reminder for your neighbour.

coldwater Wed 15-May-13 13:00:34

Oh i don't care if she or he, or any of them come knocking. Quite inclined to admit it was me. lol She pulled me up about reporting her about the dog being left out in the snow yelping for hours, i told her it was me. They will know its me anyway. I guess i had the last laugh this time. lol

Do you think it was towed that quickly? that would be impressive!
Is there someone in the house? perhaps they just knocked and asked them to move it?

coldwater Wed 15-May-13 13:06:13

I don't know, the PCOS base is just up the road from this estate so who knows. Don't want to ring to find out. lol

I hope they did tow it [vindictive on your behalf]

BlackeyedSusan Wed 15-May-13 13:08:16

what time do the neighbours get home?

chansondumatin Wed 15-May-13 13:10:17

Can you see the car anywhere else in the street OP? <hopes it's been towed>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now