To think it is ok to recycle unwanted/ unused gifts?

(22 Posts)
LisaMed Tue 14-May-13 14:39:05

Search ebay on 26 Dec for 'unwanted gift' Some are scams but some are genuine.

I do wonder about the kids toys on ebay as 'unwanted present' on Dec 26 though. A lot of them are for littlies and I wonder whether it is desperation driving them.

As you open it, and realise it is unsuitable, put a post-it on it with the giver's name on, to avoid embarrassing mistakes grin

I am mean because I regift things given to the DCs that we don't have room for. grin

hedgehogpickle Tue 14-May-13 13:56:04

YANBU - if you can't or aren't going to use it, there's nothing wrong with passing it on to someone who can/will.

I do try to put thought into who gets things and only regift to someone that I know will like the item. As a last resort will donate to school/church fundraisers so hopefully they'll end up with someone who'll get lots of use out of them. Feel vaguely guilty about it (but not much!) though I figure that's much better than sitting in a cupboard at my place never opened!

I think I'd feel weird about selling on an unwanted gift. I have no justification for this and absolutely no problem with anyone who does, it's just personal preference.

wigglesrock Tue 14-May-13 13:52:18

I do, my bil always gives me a particular brand of smellies that I'm not that fussed on, however my aunt loves them. So I usually do a Christmas present regift. They're different sides of the family.

pussycatwillum Tue 14-May-13 13:49:04

I have a friend who gives me stuff she has bought cheap (at pound shops or charity shops) and I very carefully recycle it at charity shops a long way from home. A couple of years ago the same friend regifted me the present I had given her the previous Christmas. I wasn't offended. I just laughed and thought it was handy that I'd given her something I liked myself.

OnwardBound Tue 14-May-13 13:45:49

I often re-gift. Only things that I am happy myself to give as gifts and only to those who I think would like that particular item.

I also 'gift' things I have bought myself but never used and still in original packaging, ie jewellery, scarves, perfume...

Again only to those I feel would like the item and make good use of it.

But I do feel uneasy about the thought of someone finding me out... I guess because it doesn't seem a very thoughtful gift or gesture, more like making the recipient take unwanted and unused stuff as a form of charity shop!

BrienneOfTarth Tue 14-May-13 13:34:07

That's what the PTA fundraising raffle is for!

icklemssunshine1 Tue 14-May-13 11:44:43

Nope, I regularly do it! On Christmas Day I opened a present from my DB & it was a vase. We have plenty so I rewrapped it & took it to my MIL's later! She love it & now proudly sits on mantelpiece. I call it spreading the joy!

expatinscotland Tue 14-May-13 10:11:07

I sell it rather than re-gift it.

mrsjay Tue 14-May-13 10:05:21

MY sister did that to me gail I gave her a make up bag I thought it was lovely I got it back 2 years later , shock

gail734 Tue 14-May-13 10:02:13

Yeah, you have to be careful. Last Xmas my MIL gave me a lovely gift that I'd given her several years previously!

Bumpotato Tue 14-May-13 09:48:41

I do it. Though once I put an unwanted jigsaw DD received on the present pile and I think I stupidly managed to regift it back to the boy who gave it to her cringe

DeepRedBetty Tue 14-May-13 09:45:23

grin In that case pass on the joy!

mrsjay Tue 14-May-13 09:41:42

nope nothgn wrong with it at all, I have a friend who works for a charity and gets loads of gifts that they will never use, she passes them on , it is a waste other wise sitting in a drawer, I have done it passed things on to raffles etc

Rockinhippy Tue 14-May-13 09:39:12

YDADNBU - My mother used to do that every year, Xmas & birthday too - always the same perfume - one that I absolutely loathed - even if I loved it, there s no way in hell I could use that amount without causing a gas cloud over where I lived - I tried & tried to stop it, even quite blunt in the end - but still it came - I wasn't cash strapped & no one I knew liked it, so I used to pass it onto to charity shops or fund raisers, but if I was strapped for cash & it was liked I would have done the same thing.

These days I often pass on unwanted gifts to the PTA or other charities as raffle prizes, both DD & I can't tolerate chemical additives in soaps, bubble baths & the likes & we still often get those given, so we recycle them too

ShadowStorm Tue 14-May-13 09:30:26

YANBU, so long as you don't accidentally give it back to them!

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 09:09:59

No problem IMO as long as you make sure it doesn't end up getting back to the person you got it from!

AllThatJazzAgain Tue 14-May-13 09:08:23

Hehe DeepRed, they are very well off and I have feeling it is my uncle's secretary or PA which organises all the family gifts!

DeepRedBetty Tue 14-May-13 09:00:26

Of course yanbu. Bit bewildered by your aunt and uncle's inability to remember that you can't wear the stuff though?!

HousewifeFromHeaven Tue 14-May-13 08:56:18

No problem with reuse resend recycle here.

Or if you're skint just eBay it.

HomeEcoGnomist Tue 14-May-13 08:55:29

Nope, NBU at all
There is too much crap in the world without hoarding it all!

Regifting is the way forward; I do it quite a lot with kids' stuff as 2 boys tend to get similar things over time

AllThatJazzAgain Tue 14-May-13 08:53:28

I only do it every now and then, but for example my aunt and uncle buy me perfume every year, every year I say thank you very much but politely remind them I can't wear it as I react to it, still it comes through (they live in Dubai). So now I repackage it and give it to a friend / family member etc.
It is always really nice perfume and never even leaves the packaging with me. We're strapped for cash so its nice to be able to give a nice gift without worrying about costs.
AIBU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now