to ask my plumber to clean the carpets?

(22 Posts)
mrsjay Tue 14-May-13 16:27:14

dh is a plumber well used to plumb he does something else now your plumber should have put something down on your carpets to catch the sludge or asked you to complain to him get some money back for carpet cleaning

HintofBream Tue 14-May-13 16:25:24

I've never had a contract for moderately sized work to the house, only for big things like a conservatory. Normally we get a few quotations then choose the one we want. Today both electrician and decorator have been here - no contracts. How common are such contracts?

jaywall Tue 14-May-13 13:13:05

If he know's what he is doing then your contract will state it's your responsibility to protect or remove floor coverings etc etc.

You might be in luck though if it is an inexperienced self employed plumber.

popcornpaws Tue 14-May-13 12:58:06

I locked the door and told him he wasn't leaving until the plumber had been, he said he would go to another town to do a job there then come straight back...He was told in no uncertain terms was he fuck! haha, it had been a stressful day.

HaughtyCulture Tue 14-May-13 12:23:08

Popcorn, I am fascinated as to how you managed to force the carpet fitter to stay in your house until he'd paid the plumber! Did you tie him up?!!

popcornpaws Tue 14-May-13 12:07:03

My carpet fitter once damaged a radiator when he was fitting a carpet and tried to deny it was him.
I phoned the plumber to come and fix the damaged radiator and refused to let the carpet fitter leave until he had paid the plumber.
He was fuming but not half as much as i was. If any workman damages anything in your house when they are working it is their responsibility to fix it. Your only problem might be that you didn't see the damage to the carpet until he had left.

GobTheGoblin Tue 14-May-13 09:44:54

Tell the plumber to get a professional carpet cleaner to come and clean the stains.
I think if you were to demand replacement carpets it would be a bit OTT.

Get a quote and withhold that amount from what you owe him.

BeckAndCall Tue 14-May-13 07:52:54

He should have covered the carpets, and I'd be withholding the final sort of the payment until this was sored out ( where 'sorted out' cold mean agreement to clean or replace, of might be a price reduction)

That said, my builders last week have left dirty marks all over my cream landing carpet which are annoying me, but it's just dirt which I need to get cleaned off and I'd treat that as regular, expected builders mess.

whois Tue 14-May-13 07:48:25

Oh that's bad. I think plumber should pay for cleaning, and should have covered the carpets, but if he was a big enough twat not to try and clear up or tell you then I doubt you will get v far.

claremp7 Tue 14-May-13 07:46:53

He'll be insured so tell him you've noticed this. Do mention it to you insurance as if they class it as a diy accident you probably won't be covered.
Hope you get sorted

kelda Tue 14-May-13 06:53:42

If he doesn't cover carpets, then he should have asked you to.

Sugarice Tue 14-May-13 06:44:58

My dh is a plumber. When he worked in peoples houses doing this work he would cover carpets and wear those boot slipover things.

If some sludge did get on the carpets we cleaned up the mess and had a carpet cleaner to use if necessary

HintofBream Tue 14-May-13 06:15:21

Jacks, but surely this is negligence rather than accidental damage? Plumbers know there is black sludge in pipes. We have a decorator in at the moment and he is fanatical about covering everything lest a drop of paint falls. It's part of the job.

jacks365 Mon 13-May-13 23:42:58

Check your contract carefully. A lot of workmen put in waivers with regards to accidental damage which would put the onus back onto yourself i'm afraid.

I hope you manage to sort this amicably.

squeakytoy Mon 13-May-13 23:36:42

He should have covered the area he was working in and it is up to him to sort it out too.

Rattitude Mon 13-May-13 23:28:59

I am actually really fed up with workmen who do not look after people's possessions and end up damaging them. Even worse when they try to hide the damage or not mention it.

I would have thought he has a duty of care and he should be paying for the cleaning of your carpets (or new carpets if the stains don't disappear). His insurance would cover him for such incidents, I assume.

You may want to call your house insurance provider for clarification. Good luck!

Siouxsi Mon 13-May-13 23:26:51

I'll have to check the contract. And I didnt have anything to cover my carpets with. Over 11 rooms across the house, I dont own that much plastic nor did I have the extra cash to buy it.

TheDetective Mon 13-May-13 23:26:31

No, he should have covered the carpets. And he should make good any damage he makes in your house.

He will have insurance. He can claim on this if it isn't cleanable.

somedayma Mon 13-May-13 23:18:52

You should have covered the carpets, surely that's just common sense if there's work being done in your house?

workhell Mon 13-May-13 23:16:56

What does your contract say?

Siouxsi Mon 13-May-13 23:15:58

My plumber is replacing ALL the rads in my victorian house, work totalling just over £3000. Today he dripped black sludge all over my carpets upstairs in my daughters room and my hall, not just drops but smudged large patches. He didn't mention it; I found it when I put my kids to bed. Surely he had a duty to use something to cover my carpets? And now who pays for the cleaning or the replacement of the carpet? I took me months to save up for these repairs, I've lived with buckets under 7 different rads as they leaked, had carpets sodden, while I saved up. And now I need to find more money to pay for cleaning?
Anyone know what my rights might be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now