To think that this is excessive for a Food Tech ingredients list

(122 Posts)
ModreB Mon 13-May-13 19:02:05

DS3 has food tech and was given a long list of specific ingredients to bring. Went to a big supermarket on the way home, got the list and the total came to nearly £9 shock. I wasn't buying branded products either, but supermarket own brands.

I am in the lucky position that I can afford this, albeit through gritted teeth angry but AIBU to think that some families would really struggle to pay this amount of money for 1 recipe, to make 1 portion to cook for 1 lesson, and that the sodding school and teacher should at least have some consideration for this!

What happened to teaching how to make affordable food as well angry

HamletsSister Mon 13-May-13 20:05:20

Weird reading this. Our school provides all the ingredients. Not sure about special ones for allergies but they do adapt recipes, I know. Such an odd system......

Groovee Mon 13-May-13 20:08:31

We pay £25 a year in their first year for home ec, then if they choose to continue its £22 a term but that includes containers to bring the food home and all ingredients.

Jestrin Mon 13-May-13 20:08:36

£9??? Ridiculous! when DS had food tech he would get a list of 2-3 things to choose from and he could add ingredients if he wanted to experiment a bit but they were recipes such as spag Bol, macaroni cheese, pizza and cakes.

For the other tech lessons we have to contribute £7 for equipment.

I do think though, that not a week goes by when we aren't asked for money for something!

johnthepong Mon 13-May-13 20:14:07

Im a food teacher and even I think thats a load of bollocks! I would have sent him in with cheese he grated at home and a whole onion. I would have also bought passata, I wouldnt buy pizza topping!!!

We always have a load of spare ingredients at school, the only thing is if you give them out too much the kids tend to take it for granted they can just use our ingredients. I am always happy for kids to adapt recipes according to taste, budget etc, I usually give them tips when I give them a recipe.

The only thing I can think about the yeast why she wanted a sachet was because that was the fast acting stuff and the stuff you have at home might be the yeast you have to reactivate which can take time- when kids have bought this stuff in Ive actually given them a sachet instead because we dont have time to activate yeast.

StyleManual Mon 13-May-13 20:17:34

Most people have no idea how busy a food tech teacher is. Imagine organising 20 odd kids to prepare, cook and was up a dish in an hour. Then the next class are lining up for their lesson immediately afterwards. It's a real squeeze especially with kids with no basic cooking or washing up skills.
And when is the teacher supposed to do all this shopping? In her own time? Or take time out of school? Lots of schools dont have the budget to employ a special technician to sort out all that out.

StyleManual Mon 13-May-13 20:19:54

Agree that £9 is too much though. I was responding to the posters who think school should sort all the ingredients out.

ModreB Mon 13-May-13 20:21:43

I really don't know what the school think they are doing. They don't seem to have a clue.

Last week was an hour long theory lesson in how to make a pizza. This week it's the practical, ie actually making a pizza.

There doesn't seem to be anything about how to make a balanced meal, for a family or for yourself. Or how to make affordable food, or how to make recipes adapt to what you have in.

The first thing they made was a spag bol - without the pasta I might add, and it was so bland it was basically mince, herbs, and tinned chopped tomato. They weren't allowed to add a stock cube (too much salt) more than 1 clove of garlic (too smelly) and made it with 300g of mince, which was supposed to make enough to feed 4 people!

DameFanny Mon 13-May-13 20:29:22

What the actual fuck is "pizza topping" please?

WilsonFrickett Mon 13-May-13 20:32:41

My DS7 can 'make a pizza' in that case. I let him grate and chop (kinda). The rest is just... scattering, isn't it?

NoWayPedro Mon 13-May-13 20:33:36

Utterly ridiculous YANBU

I make pizza at home and for £9 I'd make enough for a whole class to have a slice! If you are asked to buy all the expensive ready grated/sliced stuff - screw it and just phone domino's next time, probably cheaper too smile

Many moons ago I did home ec gcse and we had double lessons to accommodate prep/cooking/cleaning times.

Bunbaker Mon 13-May-13 20:36:01

That lot costs £9!. Where are you shopping? Harrods?
Cheese - I would just grate some at home and put it in a bag
Pizza topping - fry some onion and garlic, add a tin of tomatoes and simmer until reduced, pack into a small container
Yeast - Not everyone will have yeast at home and you can't buy it in single packets so I accept that it might be a problem

ModreB Mon 13-May-13 20:39:09

It's a jar of what is basically tomato puree, with "added Italian herbs" for flavour.

So, rather than show them how to flavour tomato puree with herbs etc, it comes ready made in a jar.

So much more convenient lazy dontcha know angry

Mandy2003 Mon 13-May-13 20:50:03

I think you can buy it in a tube too grin

nannynick Mon 13-May-13 20:50:05

To yeast or not to yeast... Surely the HOuR theory lesson taught them different types of base that can be made.

YANBU to complain. Schools need to adapt to the ecconomic times, students encouraged to group up and buy ingredients to share if they really must all make exactly the same thing.

fuzzpig Mon 13-May-13 21:08:17

FFS grated cheese, pizza topper and chopped onion? <facepalm>

BTW I am not snobby about taking shortcuts like that, I became disabled last year and stuff like pregrated cheese is brilliant for me now as it saves energy and pain.

But surely in a lesson they should be expected to be able to learn to do stuff like grating and chopping, it is fundamental to being confident in the kitchen? And then when they are old enough to be planning/cooking food at home, they can of course make the choice to pay more for convenience (as I have) but it's not so much of a 'choice' if you don't know how to DIY in the first place is it?

I am quite surprised at yr7s not knowing how to chop (sorry, slice grin) fruit or wash up confused.

ShadowStorm Mon 13-May-13 21:19:25

How does buying ready prepared ingredients teach kids about cooking?

I know that they can be useful time savers, but surely in a cooking class, they should be learning how to do these things from scratch? Or at least encouraged to do the chopping and grating at home, if there's no time for it in the actual lesson.

Also not seeing why they can't just put tomato puree over the pizza base and then sprinkle a few herbs on top.

foodtech Mon 13-May-13 21:33:20

It's so much easier in Scotland. We just buy the food and the pupils pay a certain amount each year depending on the course. All they need to bring is a container. I find it very strange pupils bring in food. What about the poor ones who ave no money or parents that don't care. Seems unfair.

foodtech Mon 13-May-13 21:33:46

have

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 13-May-13 21:51:00

I wonder if some schools wont buy the ingredients as parents refuse to pay for them as they opt out of contributions. Perhaps the teacher doesnt have time to bulk shop for the class.

£9 for a decent meal is ok but for a basic pizza it seems expensive.

foodtech Mon 13-May-13 21:54:54

The majority of parents pay. Obviously the ones with money problems don't but most school have a budget for that situation so the department (and pupil) won't lose out. Shopping is within the remit of our head of department. Works just fine.

Fuckwittery Mon 13-May-13 22:10:21

is food tech an option or compulsory in secondary schools?

DameFanny Mon 13-May-13 22:12:33

Hey fuzzpig - can't remember the name of it but I got a brilliant machine last year which is pretty much just for grating - one grater for cheese, coarser for coleslaw etc. was about 40 quid, but worth it for the saving of wrists, and way easier to clean than a food processor

LynetteScavo Mon 13-May-13 22:44:02

DS has done Food Tech for one term each year in Y7, &8 and Y9. It's not one of his options so he won't be doing it again.

But that's OK because he knows how to make burgers frin scratch and peppermint creams. Oh, and bakewell tart.

MummytoKatie Mon 13-May-13 22:44:05

£9 for a pizza? You can buy them from tesco ready made for about £2.50 and then bung them in the oven for £2.50.

Actually that would be an interesting lesson - completely home made, semi home made, bought from Tescos, bought from Dominos - you could mark each for cost, time, taste, skill needed, fat content, vegetable content etc.

MummytoKatie Mon 13-May-13 22:44:51

Bung in the oven for 12 minutes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now