to think the child actors/tresses on soaps must be totally fucked up?

(34 Posts)
UseHerName Fri 10-May-13 23:24:21

i mean totally fucked up

think amy in tonight's eastenders? 'the bad man' and the long list of other random people?

the fighting while they're in the arms of other actors?

how does that work then?

turkeyboots Sat 11-May-13 07:20:49

Read an article about the girl who plays Sally Draper in Mad Men. She is totally protected from anything unsuitable appearntly and has never seen the show apart from her scenes.

One of my kids has been in a few professional adult-rated stage plays. Much to his brother's annoyance as I never let him see him. The production companies are careful about what he sees - so any violence i is an absolute no-no for example. The industry is rightly very heavily regulated for children. I think a larger danger for kids on TV/in films would be becoming well known/famous/recognisable & all the issues that go with that rather than taking part & acting on a highly regulated set.

SilveryMoon Sat 11-May-13 07:32:14

Fluffy That thought ran through my mind too sad

Homebird8 Sat 11-May-13 07:53:44

DS2 (8) recently played Sorrow in Madame Butterfly. The company was very careful to work with me so that he had the plot explained to give him some background to the emotion and the suicide at the end. In many productions Sorrow is blindfolded at this point but in this one he was aware of the final act of despair.

We had a very interesting conversation about social opinion, culture, history, honour, and despair. He was fine about it although processing it obviously weighed heavily on his mind as he mentioned it in interview with the paper.

I think that he'll be fine because we can talk about stuff as it comes up. There are loads of children exposed to dreadful scenes as a reality in their lives. I'm more worried about them than the ones who are carefully protected from parts of a written drama they don't need to witness.

SoupDragon Sat 11-May-13 07:58:29

You realise that Scarlett is a baby of about 6 months old don't you?

SilveryMoon Sat 11-May-13 08:08:52

So, you'd say something like that to a 6mo? I know what you are hinting at, that the baby is too young, doesn't understand etc etc but it made me feel uncomfortable

Was she definitely holding a baby for any shouted vi

Oh FFS - was she definitely holding a baby for any shouted violent type bits (& not a doll). I don't watch eastenders but would have thought they'd cut scenes. My son's experience has always been that they are very careful - would be surprised if TV wasn't the same.

I have had misgivings about a few of the scenes in EastEnders, last night's one with Kat and Amy was unnecessary and cut have been shot differently. They should have had Kat say the line "the bad man has gone" and then focused on Amy, so she didn't have to be there as Kat was saying the lines, it's a lazy way of filming that could spark nightmares. Slightly older children who understand acting and media productions, are different, but for under 3 year olds there should be stricter guidelines. Some of the things said would be classed as emotionally abusive, if said during contact, for example, or in the home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now