to buy DS an under 3 admission ticket for the zoo on his 3rd birthday

(144 Posts)
ChazDingle Fri 10-May-13 22:16:04

Going twycross for DS 3rd birthday next week.

under 3's are £1
3-16 is £10.45 so its a big jump

don't suppose he could then wear a badge saying 'i am 3'

I wouldn't do it, but if I were with you I wouldn't say anything.

I can see that it doesn't make any difference on that day, but it is the same argument as used by fare dodgers and shoplifters so I choose not to.

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 08:09:59

YABVU to ask on MN. Just trust your own judgement.
(ps: I don't care which you do).

Sirzy Sat 11-May-13 08:10:37

Of course yanbu!

Midori1999 Sat 11-May-13 08:24:21

grin @ slippery slope.

I've never done this, but I've never gone on a birthday. I don't think it's up there with bank robbery or drug smuggling though....

DH says his Dad used to hide him and his brother in the boot as teens to avoid paying for them. Now that is very different and wrong AFAIIC.

We're members at a zoo and although it's free for under 3s and child ticket for overs, if your DC is under 3 at the time of joining, they're free for the whole year, regardless of if their birthday is the next day.

I used to pay child price (under 16) on the bus into town, then say I was 18 to get into the dancing when I got there. I was 17.. Now that was wrong, this is fine!!gringrin

christinarossetti Sat 11-May-13 08:41:18

Eh? How is this the same argument as that used by shop lifters?

SanityClause Sat 11-May-13 08:46:13

I couldn't do this. I'm too much of a goody two shoes.

DH would, though.

Briefly, that it makes no difference because "they" make so much money and you're "only" depriving them of a small amount.

The shoplifting margin then gets added to every ticket price.

Londonseye Sat 11-May-13 08:52:46

The boy be three until way later in that day. So op you are not lying. I did it last year with dd. I just carried her and she got free entry. Did I care? Did I feck. That slippery slope has not led to the destruction of mankind either! Amazing.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 11-May-13 08:54:12

It wouldn't bother me on the actual day and I would but all my children have been born in the evening apart from 1 who was a 3am weirdly I wouldn't do it with him because when he wakes up on his birthday he is already that birthday age.

But then again if asked I actually say they will be x age at 11pm tonight or what ever time they were born and not one person has ever had an issue with it.

Its not stealing its being precise.

HappySeven Sat 11-May-13 08:57:12

I was honest at Chester Zoo when we took our DS for his third birthday. The lady smiled and said 'well, he's only just' and gave us an under 3 ticket.

sparkle101 Sat 11-May-13 09:02:14

I made a classical schoolgirl error on dd's 2nd birthday. Had a nice big badge for her to wear all day and when we got to the zoo they spotted it and charged her full child price! She was technically two having been born at one in the morning but still should never have taken the badge!!!

hermioneweasley Sat 11-May-13 09:02:33

Not the same as shoplifting at all. When you steal an item it has inherent value and the shop can't then sell it to someone else. Also unlikely to be spending other money in the shop. Entrance into a theme park is very unlikely to deprive the company (ie: be the concession aged kid that puts the attraction at max capacity and means they miss out in selling a £10priced ticket to another kid) and you will spend money on food, drinks, toys etc for the kid when you're there.

Ok then hermione, if you don't accept that comparison, how about the comparison with fare dodging?

MrsMook Sat 11-May-13 09:19:38

My mum used to let ticket sellers assume my age. At 8 I'd pass easily as 5 (was still in 3-4 clothes). Maybe I can sneak an arguement that being so short I had less of a view point than an average 8 year old.
'
iI'm obviously sliding down the slippery slope. 3 years ago I was in my Guider's uniform getting a single ticket to town on the bus. I asked how much it was as I normally have a daysaver. The driver told me the price, I paid up thinking it was cheaper than I expected. It wasn't until I sat down that I realised it was a child's ticket. Cheered me up to think I looked at least 13 years younger despite feeling dire from morning sickness! The daft thing is the driver should have asked me for a B-line card as proof if he thought I was reduced fare.

The karma is I can't buy alcohol without worrying about making a shop assistant/ bar staff feel silly when I produce my driving llicence. Also that DH will tease me mercilessly each time I get IDed.

eccentrica Sat 11-May-13 09:29:06

My dad would drill us before entering whatever attraction: "right, now remember - you're 8, you're 5 and you're 3"

"But dad, I AM three..."

[Grin]

Go ahead and do it. You will more than make up for it when you are paying full adult price for your 11-16 year old to fly and holiday. My DD had to pay full bus fare most of the time from the age of 14, because she looked older. Children are ripped off by the whole leisure industry.

GibberTheMonkey Sat 11-May-13 10:06:21

I was once made to pay the full bus fair even though I was three years younger than the cut off. Apparently I should have carried id. Hmm

Mr Rected what you rather i went in length explanation why my child is actually over 5?

I still buy my 16 year old under 16 train fares when we go , trains so bloody expensive if I didn't we wouldn't be able to afford to go and see family the way I see the train is going anyway its never full and at least the train company are getting some money, its wrong I know but I really think child prices should be under 18 or until they leave school, an inspector has never challenged us when checking the tickets, she looks her age and if they did she has an 11 -15 oyster card which does not end till September

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Sat 11-May-13 10:14:29

He's an evening baby so YANBU on this exceptional occasion.

Summerloading Sat 11-May-13 10:26:20

I've had a similar experience to an earlier poster who was given a tip-off by a train ticket attendant.

I genuinely didn't know how old a child had to be before they had to buy a ticket. I had (just turned 5) ds with me and asked if he needed a ticket.

He asked how old ds was, and I said 5 - he winked at me and said, "4, did you say" and waved me onto the platform!

MERLYPUSS Sat 11-May-13 10:30:15

I've done it before when I paid child price for DT1 (the larger one) and got DT2 in for free in the pushchair. So what? I spend about £30 in thte gift shop and on food that I wouldn't have normally done if I'd not saved £10 on one ticket.

Summerloading Sat 11-May-13 10:32:31

Also, dd was 3 years 1 week when we visited Disneyworld Florida. I bought her a child's pass and the first couple of times I presented it to the ticket attendant, they didn't bother looking at it and did not cancel it! Dd was in a buggy hidden by a massive teddy bear though!

After that I didn't bother presenting her pass and years later still have a valid child's pass for 4 Disney Parks grin

IrritatingInfinity Sat 11-May-13 10:38:52

I would do this on the actual day of the birthday without worrying about it.
My DC's were all tall for there ages and I wouldn't lie but I found that if I was honest and told the cashier that my DC was only just over the cutoff that they would often happily gave me the cheaper rate.
I did this a lot with Ski passes and would often get the child's rate even when the kids were nearly a year older than the cut off date.
I always thought that the cashiers were showing their appreciation of our honesty smile
It didnt always work but I must have had a 75% sucseess rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now