AIBU to be considering getting a sofa from SCS?

(43 Posts)
floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 19:38:31

Or some similar low monthly re payments but loooong time to pay back sofa credit place?

Really want a new one. Never had a new one, only second hand. Nothing wrong with that but my one has now just fallen apart. All the cushions have sunk in and you end up sat in a horrid wooden bar. Leather has split and it just looks rank no matter how much I clean it.

Would take forever to save up. Anyone else experience of SCS or is it a bad idea?

Nombrechanger Fri 10-May-13 19:40:50

Yes. Their sofas are well ugly.

Lj8893 Fri 10-May-13 19:43:32

Lots of furniture places do interest free credit, so you could get a nice good quality sofa for maybe £70 a month for 6 months to a year? But you would have to provide a deposit, usually between 10-20%.

floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 19:43:52

They look like the sofas of Gods compared to mine.

hiddenhome Fri 10-May-13 19:44:50

Ikea do nice, affordable sofas. They may not be leather and all fancy, but they do the job (currently sitting on one) smile

floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 19:44:57

Mmm 70 is too steep.

floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 19:45:37

What sort of price range are they in Ikea. And do they have payment installment plans?

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Fri 10-May-13 19:46:21

I once on ought a sofa and armchair from SCS. It wasn't much good, to be honest. It sagged after about a year and then was very uncomfortable. We took it to the tip after three years and I think a sofa should last longer than than.

hiddenhome Fri 10-May-13 19:46:57

Hang on, will just look.

Lj8893 Fri 10-May-13 19:47:01

Or save up for a while and check out ex display clearance sales, you could get a decent very expensive sofa for like 70% off!

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Fri 10-May-13 19:47:05

Ikea do cards so you could pay it back over a period of time.

hiddenhome Fri 10-May-13 19:49:20

Yes, they do payment plans here

Their sofas range in size and price and are sturdy.

DefiniteMaybe Fri 10-May-13 19:50:15

I had a dfs one its big and brown and leather and reclines and is lovely. I had interest free credit over 4 years £33 a month. Finished paying last August and there's at least another few years life in it.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 10-May-13 19:51:08

Our sofa is from Ikea, it's great.

hiddenhome Fri 10-May-13 19:53:16

nice range of fabric Ikea sofas here

They also do modular sofas and have some in leather.

We have a two seat Ektorp and just put a throw over it to save the cover (pets and kids). It's nice and comfy and puts up with any amount of abuse.

floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 19:53:44

Some good suggestions here ladies smile will look at dfs most def and hadn't considered Ikea.

hiddenhome Fri 10-May-13 19:54:59

I luffs Ikea grin

Good Luck smile

nametakenagain Fri 10-May-13 20:16:08

Don't bother - really. Buy secondhand. We got 2 large leather sofas for £250, and they looked new. (Off tinternet)

Paying back over a long credit period means that you're still paying out cash long after your sofa is shiny and new, which is really depressing.

I know what you mean, its very exciting to buy a new sofa. But you'd get a nicer one secondhand for the same cash, or buy a cheaper one and you won't care so much if someone scratches it.

I've done all of the above!

I bought a full suite off them just over a year ago, I paid cash, but wanted a "cuddle couch" and they had exactly what I wanted. The quality of the couch is rubbish and I am fighting the extended insurance to get the seat cushions replaced. I had visions of me and my youngest on the couch watching films together, in reality, I avoid sitting on it.

Lj8893 Fri 10-May-13 20:32:45

I agree with nametakenagain. A long interest period is really depressing and not worth it. Much better to either save and pay outright, search for a very good deal (like an ex display peice) or pay larger monthly payments over a much shorter interest period!

Lj8893 Fri 10-May-13 20:33:38

Or of course search for a good quality secondhand piece.

maristella Fri 10-May-13 20:36:48

<goes against the grain>

I bought an scs sofa and it was lovely, so comfortable! I was complimented on it for years!

Granted, it was cheap and the underneath was kinda saggy, but guests loved just slumping into it grin

floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 20:37:04

Thanks birds and lj. Will def take all that you've said into account. May just save up as much as possible and wait for a good clearance somewhere smile

floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 20:38:25

grin maristella - Now im even more clueless on best thing to do lol!

floatyfloni Fri 10-May-13 20:39:52

maristella- how long have you had it and did you get a buy it on a repayment plan thingy??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now