Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to want pics of my baby off a third party business page

(192 Posts)
LadyGranulomaFortesque Fri 10-May-13 13:35:02

We attended a 1st birthday party last year and unbeknownst to me, one of the people there was in the process of setting up a photography business. I had no idea she was even taking pictures but a friend has just messaged me to say there are a few pics of my then six month old baby being used as promotion on her business Facebook page.

I am fuming - she didn't even ask even though she is a friend of a friend. I keep all of my pictures private and apart from a little cameo of me and my son together in my profile pic, there are NO pictures of him on Facebook and even pics of me are mostly private (I am weird like that).

I realise she took the pictures (covertly as today is the first time i have seen them) and I have sent her a polite message to take them down. Anyone have any idea where I stand legally if she refuses. I am so not happy about my little man being used as advertising for someone else's business. I feel like our privacy has been violated when I am normally so careful.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 15-May-13 20:40:18

Don't say anything at all about her grammar it will make you look like a knob and invalidate genuine concerns.

differentnameforthis Wed 15-May-13 09:57:20

The photo's have been removed

Make sure you tell her that there is no apostrophe in photos & that as a consumer, this would put me right off using her services.

GingerBlondecat Wed 15-May-13 09:38:07

? Davey? Are YOU the photographer?

what an odd responce to this. Have you read the whole thread ?

If you have then here have a biscuit

maddening Tue 14-May-13 22:34:56

But Davey - she didn't ask permission and was then rude when she was asked very reasonably to remove the pics which is the op's legal right to do so. 

Yes, I remember those days, heaving my bulk wandering gaily along having a hot flush 'glowing', wearing a 'floaty' outfit...Not sure how, given that lot, but the due date really did arrive before I knew it.

So, two weeks to the bank holiday, then two weeks after that it's four weeks before and then...grin

Wouldn't of bothered me at all if she asked permission. YAB a bit U and precious

MrsSpagBol Tue 14-May-13 21:58:06

I hope so!!! I am so tired of being pregnant!

Ah, but this is a virtual one, so you're fine. grin

The nine weeks will fly in.

MrsSpagBol Tue 14-May-13 20:42:42

Oh Moonlight I wish I could imbibe wine - 9 weeks to go! smile

MrsSB. Ditto and wine? smile

Ooh this would have annoyed me too. When we got married a young videographer who was just starting up did our video. We didn't pay very much and there was no contract etc. he did a good job and we were very pleased.
However a few months later someone stopped me in the street and said they recognised me from my wedding video...I asked where they had seen it and they said the guy had been sending out copies of my full wedding DVD to potential clients! I was livid, I've no idea how many people had seen it, watched me cry during my vows and dancing with my dh.
To top it off we went to the cinema one night and our picture came up during the averts at the start, promoting his business!
I had to ask him about ten times to stop, eventually left him a very angry and ranty voicemail threatening legal action which his dad replied to stating our video would not be used again.
Talk about mad!!

JenaiMorris Tue 14-May-13 19:07:00

Indeed.

Rarely but effectively, blowing a gasket is well worth it.

MrsDeVere Tue 14-May-13 18:54:13

I probably would have cautioned against sending the email BUT as pp have said sometimes a furious verbal arse kicking is the only way to go.

She came across a bit like a stroppy teenager in her original reply. You could just see her rolling her eyes.

She took the piss. She used your child as a free model and as a photographer she must have known what she was doing.

I don't blame you for going nuclear on her.

Sometimes I get sick of putting together carefully crafted complaint and really just want to say 'fucking hell you fucking fuckwits!'

MrsSpagBol Tue 14-May-13 18:48:38

Moonlight fair enough. Here: peace offering? flowers

StuntGirl Tue 14-May-13 16:29:20

Aw gutted I missed your response to her OP! She sounds like an absolute charlatan, what have your mutual friends said about the whole thing? I'd take a very dim view of one of my friends behaving like this.

MrsSB - Apologies, that certainly wasn't the intention - I'd simply responded as you'd mentioned my name in your last post - that's all. Hadn't found anything emotive or offensive in them and wasn't belittling your view-point, just re-stating mine.

MrsSpagBol Tue 14-May-13 15:25:51

TBH Moonlight I still don't really understand why you picked on my posts specifically. I did not encourage any specific action in any of my posts (eg trashing her business), I just said I couldn't bear the issue being minimised as it was(in my view - which I believe I am entitled to) :

1. Common sense
2. Basic photography "etiquette"
3. Obvious business practice

That anyone should be expected to know, let alone a professional.

So my views still stand. I was bemused to be honest as to what you found so incredibly emotive and offensive about my specific posts. I didn't actually suggest any specific action in any of my initial posts. confused

Goodness, she showed her true colours. Glad the second response was rather more appropriate than the first. It might be worth tie-ing her into a timeline for removal too, which I am guessing she didn't provide in her second email. It is also worth flagging the issue with the ASA and other relevant bodies irrespective of the 'apology' if you feel she still doesn't understand what the problems in acting this way are.

MrsSB - my point still stands. Where there is no immediate risk, and there wasn't, one should not react in the way suggested until there is proof that one should. In this case proof was provided and LadyG acted on it.

LadyGranulomaFortesque Tue 14-May-13 14:48:14

I know re the last line. I do agree but it was important, simply because it demonstrates that this was someone that clearly didn't like us but thought it was ok to take advantage.

treas Tue 14-May-13 14:47:12

I think Op that you will be unlikely to receive an apology from this person as they are covering their arse should you take it further legally, as an apology would be seen as an admission of guilt.

Blatherskite Tue 14-May-13 14:45:21

You diluted your point with that last line.

You should always have MN proof read your ranty emails first wink

LadyGranulomaFortesque Tue 14-May-13 14:40:55

She has managed to apologise (for her responses, that I am unhappy), without ever apologising for the actual images, the advertisements or the distribution around the net..... so no, the penny clearly hasn't fully dropped.

She has focused more on the very last sentence than any other (touched a nerve?)

Just multiple apologies and an assurance that as soon as she has full access to the net that she will remove everything.

JenaiMorris Tue 14-May-13 14:40:52

Ah, well it sounds like badbride is right about rockets grin

What has she said?

MrsSpagBol Tue 14-May-13 14:34:37

Please expand on "sounds worried" - has the penny (finally) dropped?

badbride Tue 14-May-13 14:33:51

...QED grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now