Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that there should not be (another) hair in my ready meal from a relatively posh supermarket?

(34 Posts)
mameulah Thu 09-May-13 22:10:46

So, this afternoon I bought a more expensive type ready meal from the upmarket orange type supermarket and there was a hair in it.

WWYD bearing in mind two months ago there was a hair in a bag of poppadoms I bought from the green type supermarket. I sent them back and they sent a very nice apology and a ten pound voucher. To be honest the letter of apology would have been better on its own. Bearing in mind all the terrible publicity pre packaged food has had of late a ten pound voucher seemed lame.

Bin and who cares or what?

And no I didn't finish my meal.

bumperella Thu 09-May-13 22:33:37

Hair or mushroom fibre? I only ask becuase in my distant past I worked for a compnay that made ready meals and they'd get returns which were ALWAYS bloody mushroom bloody fibres and not hairs. AND they were a PITA to sort out....
Actually is odd to get stuff lke that in packaged meals as they're typically made on production lines with plastic-clad workers.

ParadiseChick Thu 09-May-13 22:35:39

A ready meal is a ready meal regardless of where you buy it. You can't polish a true. And fyi, sainsburys is not posh!

mameulah Thu 09-May-13 22:42:55

bumperella - the hair is blonde!

LastTangoInDevonshire Thu 09-May-13 22:45:04

Paradise - where can you buy a polished 'true' as I've never seen one.

ivykaty44 Thu 09-May-13 22:47:25

I don't like shopping in sainsbury as I don't like the colouring of the outfits the staff wear - i always feel so sad for them that they have to wear brown and orange, i prefer blue or green uniforms smile

DeskPlanner Thu 09-May-13 23:01:03

ivy, have you seen the new M&S summer uniforms ? Vair smart.

ivykaty44 Thu 09-May-13 23:04:10

No I can't bring myself to enter M&S since they put a cafe in store

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 09-May-13 23:04:49

Bumperella, i am soooooo glad to learn about mushroom fibres! I've spent the last 15 years feeling cringy about the pube I found in some garlic mushrooms. Maybe it wasn't a pube after all!

OP, you need to complain though.

LittleTyga Thu 09-May-13 23:08:05

Cook your own food!

I don't know how anyone can eat a vile, nasty, salty, fatty, disgusting, made by someone sweating all over it, ready meal, yuk!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 09-May-13 23:11:15

Something of an over reaction there Tyga?

ivykaty44 Thu 09-May-13 23:13:02

she did cook her own food - it wasn't next doors ready meal it was her own ready meal and she cooked it -so there grin

MardyBra Thu 09-May-13 23:15:27

What's wrong with having a café in M&S?

CloudsAndTrees Thu 09-May-13 23:23:57

Is Sainsburys supposed to be upmarket?

I didn't think any supermarket that felt the need to have a finest/taste the difference/whatever wanky name they have chosen type range could be considered upmarket.

I'd be happy with the voucher. Buy stuff other than ready meals with it.

LittleTyga Thu 09-May-13 23:23:59

Ivy - Heating something up in a microwave isn't cooking and no Mary - I hate ready meals with a passion - I'll only eat something that I have seen been prepared and cooked (not heated up!)

Seriously though - how long does it take to grill a piece of fish? A chicken breast? Cook some rice with some veggies?

ivykaty44 Thu 09-May-13 23:24:30

it lowers the tone having a cafe its all trays and self service not a proper place to get tea and they did this in M&S - well they wouldn't have done that back int he day - would they now? Good gracious whatever next

ivykaty44 Thu 09-May-13 23:25:56

little toga don't you know how long it takes to cook rice?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 09-May-13 23:29:06

I'm perfectly capable of cooking and once in a while I like the convenience of a ready meal.

That's hardly immoral. There's nothing virtuous about cooking everything from scratch. It's nice to do so, but it's ok to take a short cut occasionally.

Are you sure your not molting?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 09-May-13 23:30:47

M&S cafes are a sad disappointment.

They're the Per Una of tea and cake.

Monty27 Thu 09-May-13 23:31:44

Got two meal deal curries and sides from the green type supermarket at the weekend for me and teen ds. It was RANK.

Agree it probably wasn't a hair, agree most ready meals are rank and also agree Sainsbo's isn't posh.

LittleTyga Thu 09-May-13 23:34:16

Noooooo Mary - Not virtuous - just squeamish!

MardyBra Thu 09-May-13 23:40:27

I never go into the M&S self service café, but that doesn't stop me shopping in their food hall.

ivykaty44 Thu 09-May-13 23:42:29

MMofC they are all frilly knickers and no draws - its simply awful, I can't shop with them after they did this

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 09-May-13 23:44:45

There are many reasons I can't shop in M&S grin

The caffs just seem so boring to me, I wish there were a few more frilly knickers, iyswim. But maybe not in my soup...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now