To spend a lot on something that lasts years instead of similar on lots of cheaper items that don't last?

(36 Posts)
babysaurus Thu 09-May-13 21:12:20

This is a light hearted AIBU, please be gentle!

A friends daughter, 9, hates brushing her hair as its thick and brushing hurts it. She also fights having it washed for the same reason. Her mum has bought detangling sprays and lots of different brushes, "the last one cost me £8", but none have helped enough. I have a Mason Pearson brush which she used (I took it over for her to try) and the difference was amazing. Unfortunately these brushes cost £35+. My friend said she would (not could) pay that much for a brush as its ridiculous, but has prob spent at least that already on cheaper brands.

This prompted a lighthearted discussion with her over buying one off expensive products that last forever (my last Mason Pearson was a 12th birthday present and it lasted till I was 36) and her preference of buying cheaper things but on a regular basis (she has pans that look like Le Creuset but aren't, for example) because paying huge amounts for things when you can get an equivalent for less is apparently the way to go. (Not a purely financial decision.)

So, if you were there too, would you be agreeing with me or my friend...?!

samlamb Thu 09-May-13 22:34:01

Buy shite buy twice. The ONLY decent thing my asshole ex taught me.

firesideskirt Thu 09-May-13 22:31:54

YANBU generally.
But... I had a friend with a Mason Pearson; she let me use it - gave my hair terrible static!
Another vote for the tangle teaser, plus a denman round barrel brush for me!

Having said everything I said, I'd not spend Mason Pearson type money on a brush - I just had a look shock.
I have a cheapo brush that has lasted me 20 years, I think it came from Boots, so that'll do.

But I enjoy well made things and am prepared to save and wait to get something nicer, rather than a cheapo version. That does not mean that I aspire to labels/certain brands either btw - the whole designer obsession thing annoys me too.
I am a grumpy hippy.

Dilidali Thu 09-May-13 22:21:21

I can't afford to buy cheap.
I budget. And plan.
I have a little notebook in which I write things we'd like, need. At the moment is a little table by the door, for keys and clutter and rubbish. (I tried not having one, it's all on the floor by the door now).
So when I get the chance I go into shops and look at stuff. It will probably be bought in the summer sales, I try not to shop when the sales are not on.
I started with my wardrobe really. Had 10's of jumpers of really bad quality. So I started my clothes fund, every so often I would add a 5er or a tenner in a tin and then blow the lot on one jumper.

Ha! There is landfill AND the energy cost of manufacturing AND cheap labour for cheap product; oh, I could go on.
I am a hippy at heart grin.

Our sofa was expensive in 1996. It is still so good that I am considering having it reupholstered once DS4 is not quite so much of a sticky-handed snotmoster of a toddler rather than 'risking' getting a new one.

Jan49 Thu 09-May-13 22:17:48

I don't think I'd bother to spend more in the hope of buying a longer lasting product because I find most things last a long time. I don't think I'd spend £35 on a brush.

The things I tend to end up replacing are electrical goods like kettles, computer-related items and TV-related items which tend to break after a while. And breakable crockery which I tend to drop. Also things like t-shirts which get damaged.

carriedawayannie Thu 09-May-13 22:14:22

Tangle teezers are fab

babysaurus Thu 09-May-13 22:12:51

apileofballyho I love eBay for precisely that!

Apileofballyhoo Thu 09-May-13 22:08:55

I am all for quality but think that there is some justification for cheaper things - getting tired of looking at the same old thing you have and would love a new one but you can't because it's still good and cost so much money!

Mind you there is always ebay. Also of the opinion that any clothes will do DS now he is in school and wearing uniform his other clothes just don't get worn out at all so quality doesn't matter so much. Of course more expensive items can have their cost recouped if I ever got round to selling stuff!

DrCoconut Thu 09-May-13 22:06:27

I managed to justify buying Clark's boots over winter instead of cheap ones as I am very hard on shoes. I have only had to have them resoled once (which is good for me) and the uppers still look good so totally worth it as I was binning cheap ones after a few weeks.

expatinscotland Thu 09-May-13 22:05:47

I use a Tangle Teezer and a Mason Pearson brush on DD2. Bought the Mason Pearson brush about 20 years ago for myself and it's still going strong.

MousyMouse Thu 09-May-13 22:02:22

yanbu if it's affordable.
I would not get into debt, for example to buy a new car if I could afford a cheaper make (maybe used) outright.

babysaurus Thu 09-May-13 22:00:33

laquitar grin

BackforGood Thu 09-May-13 21:57:36

You can't make a hard and fast rule for everything. Many, many things it's worth getting something cheaper, even if you have to replace it sooner, but every now and then, the odd thing might be worth spending more. I've not found much correlation between spending more = better value for money though, quite the opposite in fact.
Oh, and I bought detangle combs from Avon for my dc years ago for about £1.99 and they are still going strong despite long years of swimming training and long hair not being a good mix. I'm with your friend - NO WAY would I spend £35 on a hairbrush.

Laquitar Thu 09-May-13 21:56:16

'she also thinks i'm a bit of a hippy'.

You don't sound like a hippy to me grin

babysaurus Thu 09-May-13 21:55:48

neomaxi I asked if it was due to the cost, mentioned in the previous version of this thread, but she said it wasn't, it was just because she didn't agree with spending so much

Laquitar Thu 09-May-13 21:53:06

I dont understand the bit about the pans. I have tesco iron cast ones and they are good.But before that i had very cheap ones that i kept replacing them. So in my opinion the tesco cast iron are better than the very cheap normal pans but as good as the brand ones.

Sofas yes. Cheap ones dont last ime. Something like table or wardrobes i will buy cheaper ones.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 09-May-13 21:52:59

Well not everyone HAS 35 pounds to lay out on a brush. I wish I could...but it would chomp my budget up for the week....I have money for things laid aside and what's left must go a number of ways.

babysaurus Thu 09-May-13 21:49:55

BigBong what are FM brushes?

Confuseddd Thu 09-May-13 21:49:27

Wow Hollyberry bush - that suit was a good buy - 32 years and going strong!

I buy the best I can these days but it does mean going without sometimes and wearing stuff into holes until I have means to buy a decent brand.

babysaurus Thu 09-May-13 21:48:47

Pacificdogwood I used the landfill argument but she didn't seem to think that was a issue. (She also thinks I'm a bit of a hippy so maybe she put it down to that - she's lovely but we often have VERY different ideas!)

BigBongTheory Thu 09-May-13 21:47:13

Yanbu about the brushes. I and the DC love out FM brushes and they turn around suspiciously to check I'm using one.

We've tried tangle teaser which was a waste of money.

babysaurus Thu 09-May-13 21:45:52

Strangely, on the first version of this thread (no idea why or how it duplicated) the majority seemed to be of the buy cheaper contingent!

I too have an expensive sofa (well, kind of, I actually got it via eBay for £500 where they are £2500 new) and love it. And with DS and the dog it needs to be as hard wearing as it is. My sister got one from DFS three years ago and has had to replace cushions already.

I'm Scottish and I hate 'wasting' money - if I have no money I buy and use it even when it's shabby or shite grin

And when I have money I buy the very best so it lasts.

This leads to me having a really ugly Tesco cardigan (which was a panic cheap buy to go with an interview outfit) and a £3000 quid bed - both of which I've had over ten years.

And I also have an expensive sofa which is now 12 years old and totally fine.

YANBU.

I hate disposable tat, I really do.
And it all ends up on landfill angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now