To be confused about the measles epidemic in Wales?

(110 Posts)
Reallynothappy Thu 09-May-13 11:11:28

I've started seeing some comments on news articles about the epidemic, that there are nowhere near as many actual confirmed cases of measles as were originally reported; many lab samples have returned a negative result for measles, and that the poor man who died from measles had an inconclusive post mortem, and apparently didn't have measles after all.
I don't doubt measles can have serious complications and is very unpleasant, before anyone thinks I don't understand that.
Has anyone on mn been affected by this current outbreak that can give us an idea what the situation is for them?
If many of these people who originally were thought to have measles turned out not to, then what did they have?
There is clearly an outbreak of something, but it doesn't seem to be just measles.

exoticfruits Sat 11-May-13 06:33:54

One of the people who believes that the Wales measles cases were faked has the opinion that polio never existed!!

maddening Sat 11-May-13 06:51:49

The 1000 cases is reported cases by drs over the epidemic (november-ish)

The other link is a monthly lab report - so will not include dr confirmed cases - and only for a 1 month period.

I think you have confused yourself by looking at non comparable data.

SDeuchars Tue 21-May-13 19:14:33

Here is a relevant post. I know that the post itself is not a particularly reputable source but it gathers together a set of links to other places and debunks the hysteria over the outbreak.

EglantinePrice Tue 21-May-13 19:55:16

thanks for the link - interesting. noblegiraffe is right in saying If enough people were vaccinated, there would be no cases

But how can we weigh up the risk of the disease v's the risk of the vaccination when even the biggest national news agency is reporting false statistics about the outbreak and risks of the disease?

Reallynothappy Tue 21-May-13 21:07:55

Interesting link, thanks. It seems to have gone very quiet on the news about the epidemic. Has it now peaked?

chandellina Tue 21-May-13 21:18:18

Vaccination is safe and effective. Everyone needs to be vaccinated to prevent future outbreaks so picking apart the numbers is great in the name of truth but not so good for encouraging the necessary protective measures.

namechangeofshame Tue 21-May-13 21:35:35

Haven't read all the thread BUT just to add to ops paranoia DD2 (11months) came down with a "virus" just after easter, we are in wales.

Quickly hit temps of 41/42 that medicine didn't bring down went blue, shaking rash head to toe. Hospitalised for 3 days in which time dd1 (3) got it, started passing blood hospitalised for 1 day. DH and I both got it no rash.

It wasnt measles, family history and a questionable chest xray led to tb testing. Only just got the all clear for that both dds fine yet they want dd1 back in for more but "different" skin prick tests and blood tests in 2 weeks. No real reason given. They then let me have dd2s mmr early.

How's that for adding to to your conspiracy theory?

still think it's just a measels outbreak we ate just unlucky

LarvalFormOfOddSock Tue 21-May-13 22:04:09

OP, it was on the Welsh news today and it's still being reported on the BBC website www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22611801.

I'm in North Wales and the media most certainly hasn't gone quiet here. Nor have the NHS. They're vaccinating their front of line staff in anticipation of it reaching up here.

EglantinePrice Wed 22-May-13 20:50:56

chandellina are you suggesting reporting false news in the interests of improving vaccination uptake?

strictlovingmum Wed 22-May-13 21:24:42

DS(18) had his first MMR yesterday, in 1996 he was one year old, and that was the time when all the negative publicity about MMR started to soar.
At the time we decided not to vaccinate DS and basically we left it at that.
Since all the media reports started flooding from Wales I could not stop thinking about the decision I made on behalf DS, I also felt extremely guilty.
I should have had my child vaccinated years ago, and not take such gamble with HIS life.
It is easy to perhaps overestimate the true numbers of affected people especially in Epidemic scenario, but overestimate or underestimate in such circumstances is perfectly understandable, and it doesn't mean Measles didn't happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now