Daily Mail reading, middle-class centre-right winger?

(92 Posts)
rufussmum Wed 08-May-13 19:40:42

Just asking...
not me though (adds hastily).

rufussmum Thu 09-May-13 16:00:14

Can't be true that most MNers read DM as the other thread about Guardian/lefties has loads more replies than this one.
Are DM people more measured, considered and reticent to express their views then?

DolomitesDonkey Thu 09-May-13 16:08:04

rufus it's not called "the silent majority" for nothing. wink

IamMrsElf Thu 09-May-13 16:09:31

Don't read it, wouldn't buy it, don't check the website - anymore.

I used to use it and The Sun's articles a lot when I was teaching (especially lower sets) as the wording was more simple. The views are good for getting discussions going. Also for showing how language can manipulate readers into seeing things from one point of view!!

Chipstick10 Thu 09-May-13 17:18:55

Not patronising much.

I have Kitten Block on my pc so avoid many links. I can't get it to work on my phone, though, does anyone know an Android equivalent?

One of the reasons the circulation figures are so high is because it is given away free in a lot of places eg on all BA flights, which account for tens of thousands of copies. That drives up the advertising revenue which keeps the rag afloat.

Lorialet Thu 09-May-13 17:44:42

Yes, I can proudly tick all three of those boxes smile

maddening Thu 09-May-13 18:03:30

Is the dm mc though? I wouldn't have thought it was (being that it is trash on top of the bigotry)

navada Thu 09-May-13 18:09:53

It's very middle class.

rufussmum Thu 09-May-13 18:16:46

Remember this, from Yes Minister?

Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers: the Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country; and The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

navada Thu 09-May-13 18:22:42

LOL grin

& I do remember it!

I find that the DM readers I know have narrow social circles. Knowing actual poor/forrin/gay/disabled people tends to put one off.

rufussmum Thu 09-May-13 18:30:26

But they do include you in their narrow social circles though, Horry?

Arisbottle Thu 09-May-13 18:30:41

I wouldn't go so far as to say reading the DM is research . But I know no one in real life who is like most mumsnetters- or the vocal ones anyway. I also know few people in real life who hold DM type views . I find MM and the Daily Mail both baffling and fascinating and similar.

Yes, but I am like them (SAHM, white British, mc, etc). It's just that I have friends who aren't. So when I read a DM article (very rare) I think "but that means H" and it is harder to accept.

anonpost Thu 09-May-13 18:57:48

I read it online. I like to think I'm intelligent enough to form my own opinions. I'm not a benefit basher, I'm pro immigration and wise enough to not believe everything that's written.

DolomitesDonkey Thu 09-May-13 19:43:02

IamMrsElf I too used it as a teaching aid (The Sun) for TEFL in Asia 20 years ago. Idioms galore! grin

My social circle includes household names, a bollywood actress, models, politicos, cowboys, red-necks, off-gridders, UN/NATO, mercenaries, MSF aid workers, etc., etc. I have mixed in the most extraordinary circles - and yet most have "DM views".

Like it or not, the Guardian does not represent the view of the majority.

Wannabestepfordwife Thu 09-May-13 19:56:46

I love the celeb gossip on mail online and have to say I do enjoy the clegg bashing.

Have never bought it but my nan does whenever I had a flick through the stories had already been in the daily star the day before- I read the star for the gossip, just Jane and sport please don't judge I have reformed lol.

Plus whenever I have a down day reading Melanie Phillips makes me realise I am quite a nice person after all.

rufussmum Thu 09-May-13 20:07:19

Ivor - yes I have Rufus. Fab name indeed. Means 'red'. I think there was a King Rufus somewhere.

andubelievedthat Thu 09-May-13 20:15:30

never laughed so much ,ever ! the middle class read the dm >well that explains everything ! the meaning of life even.

ouryve Thu 09-May-13 20:24:47

andu - no one ever said you have to be intelligent to be middle class. The DM caters for pearl clutchers who don't want to trouble their pretty little heads with anything more taxing than how great Britain used to be and how the Riff Raff are bringing it down, though not quite as much as the cellulite hanging off the thighs of some unfortunate sleb. Financial news and the finer subtleties of UK and international politics are for the clever menfolk.

claig Thu 09-May-13 20:30:10

I read it because I like to remain informed.

Donkey, I agree that they are varied, but not a lot of disadvantaged people in that list.

Viviennemary Thu 09-May-13 20:39:48

I loathe the Guardian. It's readers think they are so superior to everyone else. At least Daily Mail readers have no such illusions. grin

Smudging Thu 09-May-13 20:53:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Smudging Thu 09-May-13 20:53:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now