to think we should ban non-vaccinated from preschool

(127 Posts)
BlackMaryJanes Tue 07-May-13 17:41:36

I saw this article today:

"Kids Who Haven't Been Vaccinated May Be Banned From Preschool"

...and I'm inclined to agree.

AIBU?

Sparhawk Tue 07-May-13 17:43:18

What about kids who can't be vaccinated? I hate anti-vaccers but YABU.

Sparhawk Tue 07-May-13 17:44:09

Plus I'm sure this thread has been done over and over again.

NickNacks Tue 07-May-13 17:44:27

I see the point but where would it stop? Ban them from the workplace? Public places?

SuffolkNWhat Tue 07-May-13 17:44:36

Surely those who medically can't be vaccinated can be allowed to attend with a simple letter from GP/Paed etc?

The lack of herd immunity for those who cannot be vaccinated or those with immune suppressed conditions is very worrying.

Bobyan Tue 07-May-13 18:03:09

My dh returned to Britain after being abroad due to his dad's job and he wasn't allowed to attend primary school until he had received all of his injections. Its clearly not a new idea...

TattyDevine Tue 07-May-13 18:14:41

I thought the stance in this country was that every child is entitled to an education. That includes preschool. Anyone know?

TattyDevine Tue 07-May-13 18:15:48

And if you consider prechool is 2 years and above, generally, those who believe in vaccinating their children will have vaccinated children, as they are done by 13 months (until about 3 and a half when they are due a booster, which, if you believe in vaccination, you will do.

TattyDevine Tue 07-May-13 18:16:15

So YABU

scaevola Tue 07-May-13 18:18:53

The article is about an Aussie campaign. IIRC, Australia already has various measures to encourage vaccination (lower or nil rate of child benefit if you don't).

It's never been a requirement in UK state schools (private schools can set whatever conditions they like), and I think it would be wrong to limit access to education on medical grounds. And I suspect parents would be tempted to lie and it would be hard to check.

It would be simpler to legislate to make vaccination compulsory, but to police such a system would require merging of NHS records with other government records. And given the general horlicks (and data losses) fom ever bigger Govt IT and ID projects I think it would be a massive logistic fail. An unenforceable law would be a bad law.

libertyflip Tue 07-May-13 18:18:57

I think YABU because it would be punishing a child for something they have no control over.

likeitorlumpit Tue 07-May-13 18:25:30

if yours have been vaccinated what is the problem ?

thecakeisalie Tue 07-May-13 18:28:17

Even if non vaccinated children weren't allowed to attend preschool they would still be mixing in public places/playgroups so if your worried about the spread of something like measles it wouldn't eliminate the risk. As someone has said its all about creating herd immunity So in theory it couldn't spread, obviously in Wales its not really working right now and I doubt banning non vaccinated kids from preschool would have been enough to stop the outbreak (we live just over the border of North Wales)

crashdoll Tue 07-May-13 18:32:22

YABU. I'm pro-vax but no, it is not a good idea. While I may not agree with a person's choice to not vaccinate, I do still feel that it is a choice that they have the right to make.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 07-May-13 18:36:41

YABU. Vaccine damage may be incredibly rare, bit it does exist. You advocate forcing people to inject something into their child that has the potential to damage them otherwise they get denied an early years education?

You think it's ok to deny something fundamental to a child because of a choice of a parent?

Sirzy Tue 07-May-13 18:40:26

if yours have been vaccinated what is the problem ?

No vaccine is 100% effective so in theory unvaccinated children do increase the risk to vaccinated children albeit very slightly.

That said I think banning unvaccinated children is wrong and punishes the parents for a decision out of the child's control.

bigbuttons Tue 07-May-13 18:41:33

OP you are ignorant and narrow minded

LouiseSmith Tue 07-May-13 18:46:18

Why don't we ban cancer patients from being outside to we may catch that......

I seriously think we are in danger of returning to the dark ages with thinking...

infamouspoo Tue 07-May-13 18:46:52

unvaxxed children arent hotbeds of disease you know.

OhLori Tue 07-May-13 18:47:59

No, we shouldn't ban "non-vaccinated" children. All medicines have side effects and we should all have free choice whether to take them or not

p.s. If your child is vaccinated, what difference does it make to you anyway - he or she won't catch anything confused

CuntAlors Tue 07-May-13 18:51:55

My children weren't allowed to start school without signed proof from the doctor that they'd had their vaccinations. (in France)

Popcorn anyone?

likeitorlumpit Tue 07-May-13 18:54:58

thanks freddie a large coke as well please smile

youmeatsix Tue 07-May-13 18:55:16

my children are all older teens now, but i had to prove they had been vaccinated before they could go to nursery aged 3, and then all 3 had to again prove at primary school admittance, (in Scotland)

infamouspoo Tue 07-May-13 18:56:58

cheers Freddie. If I can get it through the hazmat suit protecting me from my unvaxxed child.
Dont worry folks. He cant be vaxxed for medical reasons. That makes him somehow different so people like the OP can say 'oh I didnt mean you'
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now