... to expect DDs to wear ACTUAL pants?

(72 Posts)
StabInTheDark Mon 06-May-13 15:33:38

Maybe I am just seriously out of touch, but all three of my DDs (18, 15 and 12) wear leggings like they are pants!!!

Now I think leggings are lovely when worn under a long top or a dress, but DDs (and the majority of girls I see on the street) seem to think they are a substitute for actual trousers. They wear them with normal length tops and jackets, which only go to their waists, leaving their bottoms and legs totally exposed in these leggings. Luckily DDs' leggings are thick enough that you can't see their underwear, but there have been soooo many times when I've been tempted to grab a teenage girl in the street, frogmarch her into a shop and supervise her buying a pair of jeans!

Whenever I question my DDs about the 'leggings as pants' craze, I get the whole 'Oh mum, you don't understand', reply!

So, do your DDs do the same? And AIBU to expect girls to wear ACTUAL pants?!

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 07-May-13 07:55:35

I agree, it looks hideous, even on skinny teens. I was out for the day yesterday and saw an enormous woman (not teenaged) wearing leggings and a tight vest top which didn't quite meet the top of the leggings. Each to their own and all that, but......... I do think her skinny friend (who looked lovely in a summer dress) might have gently said something?

ellajayne Tue 07-May-13 07:50:41

Insane. There are many twenty something's who do this too but my rule is if the top doesn't cover the crotch and bum, trousers it is.

rainbowslollipops Tue 07-May-13 07:27:31

I agree leggings should be worn as tights. You wouldn't wear tights with a t-shirt would you? Leggings are a similar material. I've seen many girls wearing them with shirts. Dd (6) noticed one on the way to the shops last week and shouted "mum! I can see her white knickers!!" I wasn't shameful. I felt sorry for her. You really could see everything.

MoominmammasHandbag Tue 07-May-13 00:12:33

DD1 aged 17 wears leggings as pants. She is 17, goes to the gym about 4 times a week and has a Beyonce type bum.
I feel like I should be shadowing her around college and shooting all the horrid youths who drool over her.
She is utterly oblivious and thinks she's a bit fat.

Morloth Tue 07-May-13 00:06:21

Parachute pants are next aren't they?

chattychattyboomba Mon 06-May-13 23:57:52

Sorry X post

chattychattyboomba Mon 06-May-13 23:56:18

To anyone who wears leggings as trousers... Did you know that they are often see through in the sun? Unless you buy some really heavy duty ones ( like wetsuit fabric). I have seen more g- bangers this weekend than i care to recall... Also bare in mind they are unforgiving on any lumps and bumps you might rather not have the world see. I agree OP.

thebody Mon 06-May-13 23:48:25

LOOKED GORGEOUS. Sorry sticky phone.

Each to own. I had big hair in the 80s and looked daft.

thebody Mon 06-May-13 23:47:14

Pressed too soon. She l

thebody Mon 06-May-13 23:46:59

My dd 14 went out today in a tiny top and leggings.

She l

OxfordBags Mon 06-May-13 23:42:39

I've seen plenty of girls wearing TIGHTS as leggings, with the whole crop top thing going on. You can tell they are tights, because they wear them with ballet pumps and can see the toes continuing, and on some, the tights-esque stitching around the crotch area. It's... nasty.

(All that detail sounds like I have been watching them from my window with night vision goggles and feverishly noting each wearer in a sinister journal, but I honestly haven't.)

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 06-May-13 23:36:58

im northern and i hate the term pants for trousers. im from York. i had never heard trousers called "pants" before i moved a few miles away. i still fucking hate it. pants are underwear. end of !

dd wears leggings as trousers. she is 5ft 7, weiggs 7st 10 and is a size 8. she can get away with them as trousers so why the hell not....i do wear leggings but i wear them with tunic tops and boots. im shorter and fatter.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 06-May-13 23:30:54

The only 'leggings' I wear with a short top are M+S jeggings, but I thought they were skinny jeans when I bought them they have a proper button and fly, and are very trouser like. Any others are worn with a bum-covering top or tunic.

Oh no, I tell a lie. I do have one pair that I sometimes wear with a t-shirt or leotard, but they're for dancing. I think if I went out in them, you'd probably realise it wasn't as a fashion statement... they're lycra and stirruped grin

BenjaminButton172 Mon 06-May-13 22:39:18

Can i take back what i said.

Some people suit leggings while others dont. Saw a girl today wearing leggings and a short tshirt. She bent over and her bum was on full show. I dont need to see that when i am eating.

PearlyWhites Mon 06-May-13 19:13:48

We call trousers pants am not American, as for leggings they are pants are they not?

PiratePanda Mon 06-May-13 19:13:35

When leggings were round the first time (late 80s) we definitely wore massive t-shirts over them. It was the era of the massive t-shirt. I NEVER saw leggings with short shirts then; only now <shudder><bleaches eyes>

Jestrin Mon 06-May-13 19:08:16

I think the thicker material leggings are fine with a tunic top or a skirt. The leggings made of thinner material just look like tights and look awful, as if they've forgotten to wear a skirt!

Fraggle3112 Mon 06-May-13 19:00:21

I wore leggings and a longish but not so long it covered my bum top and a cardi all the time when I was pregnant! No tops were long enough dilue to the bump and leggings were the only comfortable thing that fit! Maternity clothes never fit properly as u stayed pretty much the same shape but with a huggggeee bump! I probably looked a right state but I really couldn't care less! Haha!

loofet Mon 06-May-13 18:10:17

YADNBU. Argh! I hate this 'trend' too. It just looks like they forgot their skirt. The worst thing is (aside from it looking ridiculous and being very unflattering regardless of your figure!) is the fact you can see their underwear or lack of in some cases! Eurgh. Hope it dies out soon...

WakeyCakey Mon 06-May-13 18:06:56

My DSD (12) wears leggings all the time, in fact she no longer has any jeans. She finds them uncomfortable and unflattering.
She looks fab!!
The only problem I have is that I am short with VERY short legs! And she has legs that just keep on going and with the leggings they look even longer. envy
dont be so hard on them, every decade has its own fashion that cannot be understood past the teenage years

StabInTheDark Mon 06-May-13 17:59:22

Yes but my issue is that proper leggings are so rare to come by!! These cheap, transparent things that girls wear are the ones you find in every shop!

Also... I quite like it when my DDs wear leggings and shorts blush

CockyFox Mon 06-May-13 17:31:49

YABU.

Proper leggings are definitely trousers not tights. As was mentioned like in the 80s.

Leggings are not tights and for gods sake if you need to wear them under your shorts then it isn't warm enough for shorts and you look bloody ridiculous even if you are 18 6 foot and a size 6.

i think they're fine with long line tops, and i wear them as such.. but with short tops, NO, just NO!

StabInTheDark Mon 06-May-13 17:14:51

bugsy no, I'm even further North haha, I'm from Cumbria! grin

ahh NoelHeadbands I can sympathise. sad DD2 has an awful pair of USA flag ones. I am considering accidentally losing/burning them!!

toffeelolly Mon 06-May-13 17:13:36

Hate legging's that are so thin you can see your knicker's, so cheap looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now