To expect next door's landlord to fix their bloody back garden fence.

(90 Posts)
FunHouse Thu 02-May-13 16:47:32

Their fence has been broken for a year now. I thought they'd fix it themselves and tbh didn't worry because my dd was old enough to know not to go near their garden.

Now my younger son has started walking I can't stop or keep running after him to pull him back in our garden. Towards the end of the garden their side is completely overgrown with thorns and brambles. It's dangerous for my children. Now it's summer they'll be out more. Dd knows not to go to that side, but ds obviously is too small to understand.

I just phoned the letting agency and they attempted to fob me off telling me the fence is MY responsibility! This house has been our family home for about 35 years. We know what side is ours! When I told the agent she was being rude trying to fob me off when she hasn't even seen which property it is and told her I want it fixed ASAP before one of my children get hurt, she told me she couldn't authorise it without the landlord agreeing to fixing it.

I'm thinking I'm going to have a problem trying to get them to fix it. Could I threaten them with contacting the council or something if they don't fix it within a week or two weeks?

cozietoesie Thu 02-May-13 17:06:07

FunHouse

By the time a hedge provided a proper barrier, your children wouldn't need it. They are not instantaneous. If you want separation, get a fence.

Cravey Thu 02-May-13 17:08:02

It is actually everything to do with tenants if they broke the fence. Landlord could insist they replace it. If not it is the landlords choice as to replace it or not.

FunHouse Thu 02-May-13 17:09:24

I'm actually quite miffed about this. Oh well. I'll see what the letting agency say. They've taken my number and will call back when they've contacted the LL.

Just out of curiosity, if I choose to erect a 7ft or 8ft fence for complete privacy can they complain about it?

Cravey Thu 02-May-13 17:10:53

It depends on the fence and where it is situated ie light locking etc.

FunHouse Thu 02-May-13 17:11:01

The fence broke because they didn't fix it properly the last time they fixed it, which was about 4 or 5 years ago. They just got the broken fence and put it back up again. Now it's fallen because of bad weather and winds.

Cravey Thu 02-May-13 17:13:27

Ask the tenants for the landlords number nd call them direct. It's the only way to see if they want a fence or not. If the tenants are to blame then tell landlord and he can insist they replace it.

sparechange Thu 02-May-13 17:15:04

Funhouse, you can erect a fence up to 2m in height, including trellis
Anything higher than that, and you'll need planning permission

CloudsAndTrees Thu 02-May-13 17:30:13

Could you clear the brambles off your side and put up your own fence? If you don't think it will be that expensive, then there's no reason you can't do it.

garlicyoni Thu 02-May-13 17:31:01

You keep saying it's so easy to fix a fence, doesn't cost much, etc, so I'm wondering why you don't do it? Presumably the posts are already in so you could just nail some trellis to them.

confused

LifeofPo Thu 02-May-13 17:34:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

quoteunquote Thu 02-May-13 17:35:07
Cloverer Thu 02-May-13 17:38:00

I really don't understand why you don't put a fence up if you are the one that wants one to stop your children going across into their garden?

SoupDragon Thu 02-May-13 17:45:12

It is indeed your responsibility to keep your children out of their garden, not theirs.

It cost me £1800 to replace the 16 panel length of fencing in my garden.

gazzalw Thu 02-May-13 17:50:36

we have the same issue - no one knows who owns which boundaries so all a bit difficult. Our previous neighbours did the fence and asked if we'd pay some towards it but it now needs replacing again. It looks really untidy but we have an 80 foot garden and I reckon to do it properly it will cost over £1000, It's a lot of money to spend on 8 panes of fencing and concrete posts ;-(!

Does the fence actually form the boundary? You need to check your deeds.

There is, as others have said, no legal obligation to have a fence at all, and as to them having a responsibility to make sure your child doesn't trespass - words fail me.

ReculverTowers Thu 02-May-13 17:53:40

landlords fixing things ?
shock you are obviously BU wink

quoteunquote Thu 02-May-13 18:21:46

If you put tall concrete posts in you can slide any standard size fence panels in, makes it easy in the future if you ever need to replace any, tall concrete fence posts are more cost effective , they don't rot and they don't need replacing.

treas Thu 02-May-13 18:26:44

As long as the boundary is defined between the two properties there does not have to be a fence. The LL could just replace with wire mesh.

Re brambles you can cut them back to the boundary if the encroach your property and then return the cuttings for disposal so that you don't get accused of taking LL's property - you may think I'm joking but it does happen

treas Thu 02-May-13 18:27:50

Re cutting brambles on cut back to were the plant overhangs into your garden

FunHouse Thu 02-May-13 18:28:03

garlicyoni I've never had to replace a wooden fence so only assume its not expensive. No need to make sarcastic comments. We spent £3000 for our side for a brick wall. I assume it would be peanuts compared to that. I don't see why I should have to pay for my side and theirs? But obviously they're under no obligation to put up the fence so we'll see what happens.

Another problem that I think is going to be a problem all summer is that some neighbours a house away are sitting on their extension roof confused to sunbathe. They've been there for about 4 hours now and can peer right into our garden and into our kitchen if our door is left open. Who the hell sits on their roof to sunbathe and have drinks?! angry.

Jesus Christ.

You need to go and live up a lane. With no neighbours.

ComposHat Thu 02-May-13 18:31:43

Surely it is your responsibility to keep your children in the garden? If you can't keep your child out of next door's garden, pay for the fence yourself. This is nothing to do with your next door neighbours.

Take this as an insight into how private rental tennents get treated by their landlords, repeated requests to fix stuff repeatedly ignored by the landlord/letting agents. It is less than amuising when you are waiting for three months to get a washing machine fixed.

FunHouse Thu 02-May-13 18:31:58

Thank you for all the replies, I I think if they don't anything, the wire mesh is a good idea and we have some in the shed so we can put that up without any cost. Maybe we can plant some ivy or something underneath it?

Cravey Thu 02-May-13 18:34:08

Composhat don't lump all landlords in with yours. It's bloody rude I know there is a hatred of landlords on here but I have had the same tenant for seven years he needs things fixing he gets them fixed.

FunHouse Thu 02-May-13 18:35:26

Freddie, I really dream about buying a detached house in the middle of nowhere. Before meeting dh, I used to have a dream about living in a wooden house in the middle of nowhere in the woods. I don't like people peering into my house. Maybe I'm a bit weird like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now