To wonder if women don't get PMT/S anymore?

(44 Posts)
LEMisdisappointed Thu 02-May-13 10:06:42

I was laying awake in bed last night (as one does) with my nipples on fire, following a difficult few days emotionally. I have a mirena coil so i don't actually have periods and when i did have them they were irregular, but i did get horrendous PMT. But i was wonderin if my symptoms were PMT related.

Then it occured to me that i never notice any posts or threads about PMT on here - I'm having an abberation aren't i? but im here ALOT too much and i never notice anything in Active convos or any of the threads i read theres a lot of those too

Is it something that we don't talk about anymore? or is it i suspect this is more likely because im not visited by AF that i just don't pick up on it.

Its a bit of a feminist issue too, isn't it? goady

StuntGirl Thu 02-May-13 18:16:19

Oh god yoni sad Could you see a doctor about it? That sounds vile.

I get it every month. Horrid sad

A lot of women have the coil or the pill which does away with PMT symptoms generally. I was posting on here in desperation a year or so ago, until I went on Yasmin just for PMT. I think it's as real as ever but we tend to control it hormonally.

Oh and mine got so much worse after having DS.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redexpat Thu 02-May-13 19:31:05

Mine disappeared when I started using the contraceptive patch. Bloody marvellous invention that.

God I'm glad it's not just me am 41 andamready to swing for dh just like clockwork once a month. Have bought women's vitamins in hope. Any other ideas?

Spikeytree Thu 02-May-13 21:01:34

I get completely irrationally angry about a week before my period. I had a massive row with my sister about some cheese one month and didn't speak to her for days. I also find myself just sitting crying some days, for no apparent reason, until I realise what time of the month it is. Once I realise why I feel like I do I can control it a bit more, but when I'm in a rage or crying I often lack the insight to stop myself.

digerd Thu 02-May-13 21:11:37

Going on the contraceptive pill got rid of mine.

parabelle Thu 02-May-13 21:11:43

I get it, am going to talk to the doctor about it next month. It's getting worse, mood swings, migraines, water retention, stomach pains, then diarrhoea. It's a monthly joy.

notquitenormal Thu 02-May-13 21:17:20

I get PMT.

My periods are very irregular, anything from 2-12 weeks apart. But about 5 days before each one I star to get rages and DH & DS especially can't do a thing right without me biting their heads of.

I know I'm being a bitch and try to keep out of their way.

DH just keeps his trap shut and takes it as a cue to stock up on tampons next time he does the shopping.

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 02-May-13 21:17:23

I don't have periods any more and before I was years on the depot injection.
But I know with PMT I was the most difficult unreasonable over emotional person you could ever meet. When my period started I knew without looking as I suddenly felt utterly calm.
So no, I don't think it's a feminist issue, to me it was very real and I was an utter cow.

LaGuardia Thu 02-May-13 21:18:56

There is lots more medical help available for PMT these days. Absolutely no need to suffer, especially from depression. Please go to see your GP and explain your symptoms.

EmpressMaud Thu 02-May-13 22:11:14

Has anybody had any success with evening primrose oil or something similar? I took a high dosage for a couple of months and didn't notice any difference.

Kleptronic Thu 02-May-13 22:13:30

I've got it right now. I could fight a rabid jackal.

Kleptronic Thu 02-May-13 22:19:44

I meant hyena. FFS. And I slammed my finger in a door and made it bleed today. Never do that without the rampaging pre-menses. Next time round, me, a man, for definite, or the universe is in a whole heap of woe. Not that I am subscribing to a belief system, just making it plain, in case.

Schooldidi Thu 02-May-13 22:21:27

I never had any PMT at all until my last pregnancy. I never had regular periods because I have pcos and had the contraceptive injection which stopped all periods (not that I noticed because I only used to have one or two a year anyway).

Since my last pregnancy ended (miscarriage) a year ago I have had a period every 30 days regular as clockwork and am in an atrocious mood for 2 weeks of every 4, it starts as i ovulate (I assume) and continues til the first day of my period.

I want to go back to no periods but I also want to convince dp to ttc so hormonal contraception is probably not a great idea.

MogTheForgetfulCat Thu 02-May-13 22:37:10

Blimey, I get it, quite badly. I am a shouty, snappy, glass-half-empty vindictive, miserable, fat caaaaahhhh for at least a couple of days beforehand. I regularly contemplate walking out on my lovely DH and even lovelier DSs sad.

I get into manic cleaning and tidying jags, and have hideous headaches. I was appalled when my last cycle went from 26 days (having taken several months since stopping bf'ing DS3 to get back to that length, which is about normal for me) to just 21 days.

I really can't cope with feeling so awful every 3 weeks rather than every nearly-4-weeks, and being so vile to live with. Am going to buy agnus castus or similar, and talk to GP about suitable contraception. Sigh.

seriouscakeeater Thu 02-May-13 23:26:11

Yep I did ,could become murderous instantaneously. Go from 1-10 on the explosion scale in seconds. When I was younger and less in control I could smash every single plate in the house. Could burst in to tears over pathetic stuff, hideous.

I took my back side of to the doctor and got it sorted. She was very liberal and we went down the herbal route first and it made an improvement!

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Thu 02-May-13 23:29:03

I think people say 'hormones' now, rather than PMT - at least that's what I have noticed. I think men went a bit OTT on putting everything down to PMT and it has become a bit taboo...
I get it, and notice I find it harder to get up in the mornings and shorter patience than usual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now