AIBU to think that no town has a more bizarre landmark than the arse end of a shark stcking out of the roof of a semi?

(111 Posts)

...Because seriously, I can't imagine what it might be.

Was directed to this recently and have been goggling ever since.

Personally I'm not sure it can be beaten.

"Excuse me, but which way to the bus stop?"
"Oh it's just down there, turn right at the house with the shark arse sticking out of it and it's just on your left"

twofingerstoGideon Wed 01-May-13 10:00:59

You forgot the obelisk grin

MmeLindor Wed 01-May-13 10:04:35

Arbitary
It is so wonderfully awful. We Dundonians have great affection for it.

FeckOff
Yes, it is over by the railway bridge - fairly recent I think. It is actually brilliant as you can walk along with the kids, and recite the poem together. It is great to read with kids because of the dramatic repeated lines, '... that shall be remembered for a VERY LONG TIME!'

Trying to decide whether to list the kate and Wills trail

floatyfloni Wed 01-May-13 10:20:12

I live in a naff little place and we have giant bog roll on the roundabout into the town. Its meant to be a sail but it really is just a huuuuge metal bog roll, that cost a ridiculous amount of money. 'Welcome to floatyfloni's town, come wipe your arse's on us!'

Blatherskite Wed 01-May-13 10:33:25

Milton Keynes has a whole herd of life-sized concrete cows. They're not even good concrete cows, they look like they were made by a 4 year old out of playdough!

What's worse is, they've made copies so that the real cows can be kept safe while the replicas live in a field by KFC and also pop up simultaneously at the stadium and gathered around a dead tree in the middle of the shopping centre. The KFC cows were "graffiti-ed" recently and painted to look like skeletons. The Parks Trust were outraged and called the police and made a hoo-hah about how much it was going to cost to "restore" them until they realised that everyone actually liked them better like that so agreed to leave the re-paint until after halloween. They even contacted the artist who made the originals to ask for permission to leave them. They're still skeletons now!

There's also currently a street light growing through the centre of a caravan outside the gallery at the moment, but that's only temporary.

Parked next to it this morning en route to my early morning coffee mission!

Jonquille Wed 01-May-13 10:36:28

That shark had me laughing!

Here in London borough of Richmond, the council resides besides the Naked ladies! The place is York House and Gardens. 17th century historical place. And all locals just call the gardens, simply "Naked Ladies"

The other one I can think of is the much debated Petersham meadows COWS.

They were/are grazing there for more then 400 years and when recently they were due to be removed, it caused a huge hoax. And now saved by National Trust and are still grazing on a the banks of the river Thames.

I will have to find the houses of celebs who like our local.

Any more ideas for London borough of Richmond upon Thames?

As someone's mentioned it also has a little brother on top of Posh Fish. A load of NIMBYs got upset about it being unreasonable advertising until it was pointed out that the chippy doesn't serve shark grin

MmeLindor Wed 01-May-13 10:38:38

Blathers
That is just a grotty caravan. I am going all 'I know art, when I see it!' on that one

Blatherskite Wed 01-May-13 10:42:07

It has a lamp post through the middle I promise. For some reason, I can't seem to find a picture that shows the whole thing...

Blatherskite Wed 01-May-13 10:47:13

I thought the huge mouth they painted on the gallery was better than the caravan anyway.

Oldraver Wed 01-May-13 10:53:36

All the times I've been to Milton Keynes and I have never seen the flipping cows.

I think I'll take DS to see the shark as he is mad on them.

FossilMum Wed 01-May-13 11:04:32

Thank you so much for that; it made my day!

I LOVE the 'explanation'. Quite bizarrely, yesterday I was working on an experimental short story that included both a rain of fish and Chernobyl.

And to think I'd previously though Milton Keynes' concrete cows were the hottest landmark around…

Blatherskite Wed 01-May-13 11:07:30

They are fairly well hidden Oldraver. You'd think they'd put them on a roundabout on a major road not hidden behind KFC - except that they really are crap so it's probably best leaving people to imagine lovely concrete cows than to ruin the illusion by seeing the real things.

There's also an enormous dinosaur. They run a competition every year for a child to design a new paint scheme.

IfYouCanMoveItItsNotBroken Wed 01-May-13 11:14:44

Not where I'm from, but not too far away, the town of nairn boasts the arse end of an old mini sticking out of a building one floor up. Very apt since we refer to nairn as the fastest town in scotland (we say it quick and high so it sounds like a racing car, admittedly it's a somewhat better joke spoken rather than written).

meglet Wed 01-May-13 11:25:03

We have the 'Wote Street Willy' in Basingstoke (on phone so can't do links).

I'd love to have been listening to that council meeting where they gave the green light to a 7ft stone dildo in the shopping centre hmm.

We also have a funny little roundabout with lots of red metal people waving their hands in the air, something to do with the business park next door I assume.

Flatiron Wed 01-May-13 11:29:21

D'you need planning permission for a shark on your roof?

ouryve Wed 01-May-13 11:29:47

Surely that can't be structurally sound? It even knocks the spots off this monstrosity in the centre of Gateshead:
www.picturesofgateshead.co.uk/works_of_art/photo3.jpg

Blatherskite Wed 01-May-13 11:29:52

There's a very odd statue of a man admiring a single sock he's wearing in Loughborough...

MmeLindor Wed 01-May-13 11:35:16

Blimey, Meglet, it really is a willy

SorrelForbes Wed 01-May-13 11:35:59

We've got a giant prawn

dexter My sister used to live in that road, and now lives in the next road!

I think the Mannequin Pis (sp?) is the strangest landmark in a capital city.

Well done Fenton - made me look!

In the city centre of Dublin we used to have a very elegant not reclining statue which was affectionately known as "The Floozy in the Jacuzzi"
1.bp.blogspot.com/-LnZjnxoUMmw/TrGiPvv508I/AAAAAAAAGHc/OUbLEMaa2iQ/s1600/floozy.jpg

We also have other statues dotted around the capital with equally appealing names
More info here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now