Freemasons are pointless

(52 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 30-Apr-13 21:18:42

What is the point of them? Why be so secretive? What do they have to hide? Why are they all middle aged White men wearing dark suits and carrying black briefcases - I walk past their HQ every day .... What do they do in there ??!!!

Bobyan Tue 30-Apr-13 23:09:43

The Freemasons always make me think of Fred Flintstone and the Water buffalo Lodge!

squoosh Tue 30-Apr-13 23:11:47

In America they have the Skull and Bones club which originated in Yale, highly secretive with many prestigious members. Conspiracy theories abound, some even say they control the CIA.

timidviper Tue 30-Apr-13 23:14:55

They are no longer secretive and make great efforts to be open. They do raise huge amounts for charity and my impression is that most of the people who think they are sinister have never come across them in real life.

JerseySpud Tue 30-Apr-13 23:19:17

YABU

They raise loads for charity. i went to a ladies night recently and £600 was raised for two charities. Research before you moan.

ecclesvet Tue 30-Apr-13 23:19:31

I think you'll find that my neighbour's boyfriend's cousin's girlfriend's mother's hairdresser knew a Mason, and she saw him sacrifice a goat whilst praying to Satan to let him build a conservatory without proper planning permission.

JerseySpud Tue 30-Apr-13 23:19:54

Personally i find religion far more sinister.

ageofgrandillusion Tue 30-Apr-13 23:28:54

The charity work is obviously a smokescreen for something.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 30-Apr-13 23:30:07

Is all charity work a smokescreen, or is it only that which is done by the Freemasons?

ageofgrandillusion Tue 30-Apr-13 23:32:02

Clouds - It just seems a bit incongruous - bunch of middle aged men raising money for charity.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Tue 30-Apr-13 23:36:48

It just seems a bit incongruous - bunch of middle aged men raising money for charity.

Why??confused

Cakebitch Tue 30-Apr-13 23:42:36

Dh is a member. Is just a load of blokes getting together, helping eachother out and raising money for charity. A brotherhood. Nothing sinister. I often wonder why people question it, or seem to think its odd? Nothing odd or sinister about it at all.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 30-Apr-13 23:50:13

They aren't all middle aged, and it's quite sad that you assume a group of men doing something for charity is an odd thing.

Anyway, anyone who works for charity gets something out of it, it is never completely selfless. I say that as someone that does a lot of charity work by the way, I'm not knocking it. So these men all like to get together and congratulate each other on how generous they are and pat each other on the back, so what?

bubblesinthesky Wed 01-May-13 08:27:27

our local masons have a father Christmas sleigh they put on the high street every year complete with father Christmas, a phtographer and presents.

they do it because visiting the commercial grottos is so expensive lots of families cant afford it at all. All free except for 35p towards photo printing costs. Lots of local children wouldnt get a father christmas trip at all if not for them.

not essential but a lovely memory.

sorry for typing breast feeding

whois Wed 01-May-13 08:39:33

They do a lot of good work.

Who cares if they have some secret rituals or handshakes or something, pretty harmless. People like to 'belong' and having traditions/rituals associated helps reinforce that.

So what if they help each other out in their careers? Who you know helps a lot of the time anyway.

maddening Wed 01-May-13 08:44:00

Whois - generally agree but as it is a men's only club looking at it from a female equality pov if they have lots of control in the workplace they are actively working against equality in the workplace-how bad this is depends in how far reaching they are.

Oh Jesus, we had a very long thread on this in relationships a couple of months back. Turned into a bit of a bunfight with people spouting absolute rubbish. Be prepared for more of the same....

doublecakeplease Wed 01-May-13 08:49:38

My Dad was a freemason (the lodge closed so he's not active anymore. Jealous spent his working life down the pit and then worked on a line in a factory - his career wasn't advanced by his membership!)

I used to waitress for them when Dad was Master. We'd serve dinner then the doors were locked for their meeting. I couldn't care less about the secrecy - i don't tell dad what goes on when i go out with friends.

My family are totally working class but the freemasons enabled Mam and dad tp meet some nice people, they raised money for charities etc and they had some fantastic parties.

No harm done to anyone at all.

doublecakeplease Wed 01-May-13 08:50:36

He , not jealous - how did that happen??

PoppyAmex Wed 01-May-13 08:59:02

Annunziata that made me laugh as my DH often says the same!

Longdistance Wed 01-May-13 08:59:09

It is actually all men. The Freemasons I know are influential as in they own their own business's, so do lots for the local community.

My dh and I were invited to a Freemasons dinner, and it was all charity related. Making money for the local hospice. I think they made something like £25k for the local hospice. So not pointless really hmm

Shinigami Wed 01-May-13 09:03:47

I suppose they give David Icke something to write about.

I don't believe for one second they are satanists or shape changing inter-dimensional lizards. Or any of that new world order shit.

Leave them to it I say.

doublecakeplease Wed 01-May-13 09:54:53

Maddening - I believe there is a womem's branch too - although I may be wrong?

aldiwhore Wed 01-May-13 11:09:02

They have collective influence, they can help those in the club. I don't like secrecy, BUT if they want to club together and support each other why not?

I'd prefer it of course if everyone was mutually supportive, but that's idealist.

I'm sure there's corruption, there's corruption everywhere.

My mum's friend's late husband was a freemason, they looked after my mum's friend very well when he died suddenly.

Depending on how you look at it, they're either private or secretive. Nothing wrong with privacy. Secrecy makes boring things appear more glamourous.

MansView Wed 01-May-13 13:34:05

to add - it's an expensive business being a mason, as you normally have to hold dinner parties, put your hands in your pockets a lot etc

doublecakeplease Wed 01-May-13 13:49:44

very true MansView - when my Dad was 'in the chair' he had to provide whisky for some of the meetings - he used to put cheap stuff into decent brand bottles (they never knew the difference!) and I remember trailing the shops for budget fancy presents for his Ladies night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now