to think you have to be a little obsessed if you want to lose a lot of weight?

(72 Posts)
lola88 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:34:07

I have 2 stone to lose i'm on weight watchers and have lost 11lbs so far and am really into it, i count everything i eat for example ds and i shared a cake so i put in 1/2 fairy cake = 2 points. A few people have said that counting everything is a little obsessive but i think thats the whole point. It's kind of bothering me that people can't be suppostive they need to see it as a problem.

Also i don't have scales at home to resist the temptation to weigh in all the time so i walk up to my grans house on a sat morning to get weighed DP says this is crazy going all the way there (15 min walk) just to get weighed, i usually go and stay for the morning but have went up twice just to weigh in on my way somewhere else.

TBH i'm a little worried that maybe i am taking it to far but on the other hand if you don't follow the program correctly it's not going to work. I've lost 1-2lbs a week on average which is the recommended amount. So AIBObsessive?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 02-May-13 09:35:43

ppeat - not me I'm afraid smile I am doing so much better just not thinking about it at all, even in the very relaxed way of Pauling.

Salbertina Thu 02-May-13 09:39:01

Wow sh1ney! Admire your achievement and determination, thats a huge turnaround, well done!

StealthOfficialCrispTester Thu 02-May-13 09:45:06

Yes! Op thank you have have put into words something that I've been struggling with. It's all or nothing with me, and until I can find the middle ground, i'll need to keep at "all" as much as I can

MikeOxard Thu 02-May-13 11:33:06

If you don't count everything then you are deluding yourself really. Have you seen secret eaters - it's shocking how much people can write off as just a little bit of a snack. They think they are eating 1200 Cals a day, when it's actually 3500! Yanbu, and well done. Also if you are trying to lose weight, a 15 minute walk there and back 'just' to weigh yourself seems like a bloody good idea to me! x

ppeatfruit Thu 02-May-13 11:41:11

Sorry Mike my clothes and the scales are deluded are they? IT IS NOT NECCESARY to count everything,you just change your habits, but as Paul Mckenna says "habits are stronger than steel".

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 02-May-13 12:44:27

Mike - so the 16lbs I've lost since Christmas are a delusion?

It is also not necessary to eat only 1200 calories a day to lose weight.

badguider Thu 02-May-13 12:49:14

Not unreasonable at all to keep an accurate food diary which includes everything that passes your lips. It's the best way to lose weight.

BUT.... it is unreasonable to talk to others about it (outside WW meetings or diet support groups). Nobody would be commenting on you recording half a fairy cake if you didn't talk about your food diary with people who are not on a diet too... it's really dull, and can be really depressing for those a healthy weight (taking all the fun out of eating) and can be triggering for people who have eating issues.

ppeatfruit Thu 02-May-13 12:51:27

True Ali In fact 1200 calories a day is not enough for a healthy exercising adult.

mrsmalcolmreynolds Thu 02-May-13 13:45:56

YANBU to do what you're doing - whatever it takes for a given person to feel in control and not to deceive themselves about whether they are actually cutting back or not.

However, I don't think that it is necessary to count every 1/2 fairy cake, or even calorie count at all. My DM went from a size 22 to a 12/14 (don't know exact weight loss but she is 5'8" so I would think two or three stone at least) by cutting out most fat and sugars, reducing portion size, eating a lot of veg and joining the gym. She didn't count calories at all, but didn't eat fairy cakes etc. (half or whole). She is very disciplined though, just hadn't ever focussed that on eating/weight before.

BsshBossh Thu 02-May-13 21:53:30

YANBU but I think the "obsession" may calm down a little as you begin to learn what true physical hunger, fullness, healthy portion sizes etc are and then become more able to rely on instinct.

I had to monitor calories religiously when I began my weightloss journey last year at 210lbs as I had no clue what "normal eating" for my age, height, gender, ideal weight, level of physical activity etc was.

The closer I got to goal the less often I had to log because I had learned, through the year, what a healthy portion size (for me and my TDEE) is.

Then I shifted to 5:2 intermittent fasting this year and finally learned to get in touch with true physical hunger. Fasting got me to goal weight (65 lbs lost in total). And now I can eat when truly physically hungry and stop when physically satiated (if I want to that is grin).

BsshBossh Thu 02-May-13 21:53:49

Persistence is key.

Fluffy1234 Thu 02-May-13 21:59:36

For 8 months in 2011 I became 'obsessive' with dieting. Sometimes it's the only way. I went from 13 and a half stone. After a couple of months of being at my ideal weight I became to feel more 'normal' about food. OP don't listen to what others say and good luck you are doing really well.

needaholidaynow Thu 02-May-13 22:07:36

I try to limit my wheat and dairy intake, mainly because they bloat me up like a balloon and I generally feel more awake and more energetic when I avoid them. I think I self diagnosed myself as being allergic to these types of foods, maybe I am wrong but hey. I also avoid junk 6 days out of 7 and on one day a week I eat whatever the hell I want.

My daily intake of food could be:

Morning Brew: Green Tea with lemon

Breakfast: Fruit and dairy free yoghurt

Lunch: 2 Ryvitas with humous and a slice of turkey on them
Piece of fruit

Snack: A different piece of fruit. A few nuts/ seeds

Tea: Fresh salmon with some Schwarz chilli herb blend sprinkled on it and fresh salad.

I also drink loads of water too!

Obviously that is just one example, I don't eat that every day, but that's more or less the amount of food I eat each day.

Mike - that type of thinking is the way to an eating disorder. It isn't normal to record everything you eat forever. I cannot think of a better way of sapping any joy out of eating. And add to that the hit to your self esteem and your chances of succeeding if you forget or can't be bothered and it is a recipe for failure.

Ali - well done! And I bet you don't feel deprived or like you are wasting your life recording everything that passes your lips either.

BsshBossh Fri 03-May-13 11:51:45

Some of us don't have to "count forever", thank goodness. Now it comes more from instinct. But I had to learn first. We all do things differently.

MansView Fri 03-May-13 12:16:40

yes - diets are a waste of time - you need to change your lifestyle, as in change your eating habits so that you can sustain it for the rest of your life - rather than do on some fad diet until you lose the desired amount of weight - then eat what you did previously and put the weight back on...

that's fucking crazy..!!

some foodstuffs are treats - nothing more...think back in the 70s (when I wasa kid) - you'd always get one fat kid at school / in your class who didn't want to do P.E. etc - look what it's like now...

too many people eating shit food, too many takeaways and fast food...back in the 70s - fast food was a treat we'd have once in a blue moon, not something that was part of a staple diet... sad

Too true Mansview.

BsssBosch - the problem is that for too many people, when they do stop counting they also stop thinking and they don't develop an instinct. 90% of diets fail. People are getting bigger despite WW and SW and all the other companies making money out of obesity.

I am glad your way worked for you though. Long may it continue. smile

BsshBossh Fri 03-May-13 12:34:23

BBB the problem is that for too many people, when they do stop counting they also stop thinking and they don't develop an instinct

That is very true. I think what helped me was that I was aware of Paul McKenna and had read his book. At the time of reading it I struggled with truly getting in touch with true hunger and fullness so I had to calorie count. As my appetite shifted I began paying attention to what a healthy portion size for me felt like in my body. Fasting has made me hyper aware of emptiness and fullness. I feel like I can embrace the McK golden rules again as it has become much more instinctive.

I just had to go on a long detour grin.

Am continuing to fast twice a week even though I am at goal weight as I love it and I like the health benefits (dementia, diabetes, stroke, cancer -- all in my family).

Loa Fri 03-May-13 12:34:42

I don't think counting everything during a diet is obsessive - its necessary and I don't get why people paying out money every week is don't follow the plans as frequently a possible.

I do think people are often unsupportive of diets - for a variety of reasons often seeing it as some kind of judgment on them.

I would class commenting on what everyone else is eating as being obsessive. I endure this and it isn't pleasant even when you wish the dieters well.

I think once you've hit your target weight and maintained it for a while - then counting everything could be an issue but that would depend on how well you can manage to keep the weight of.

Yes Bosch, the fasting does have additional benefits beyond weight loss doesn't it. I lost a couple of stone on AD fasting about 3 years ago but it got a bit too much to keep up - 3 or 4 days a week is a bit anti social even if nobody knew I was doing it at home! Two days a week is more realistic. The great thing was that even without following the routine the weight didn't just pile back on when I stopped. It did take while unlike a conventional diet when the moment you stop counting it goes straight back on. The hormonal/metabolic changes from fasting are far more long lasting than just plain dieting.

Lambzig Fri 03-May-13 13:43:40

I don't think it has to be obsessive, but you do have to follow whatever plan you are doing.

I lost about two stone using WW about five years ago. I only put weight on during my second pregnancy (DS is now 6 months) due to insane out of hand chocolate cravings.

I have 20 lbs to lose, have been doing WW for four weeks and have lost 8 lbs of that, hopefully will lose 2 more this week to take me halfway. it works for me. I just throw out and don't buy any more junk, make lots of veg or lentil soups (typically 3 or 4 points per serving) for lunch, buy lots of fruit and don't drink during the week. I also stick anything I cook through the recipe builder and then only cook the things that are 10 points or less for an evening meal. Once that is all set up, I don't have to think about it and can indulge in a meal out or a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend knowing I have the points left.

I find it so easy.

DH loves it as he does nothing, but loses weight too as there is only healthy stuff in the house.

I think if you were being obsessive OP, then your health and fitness is a pretty good thing to pick to be obsessive about.

lola88 Fri 03-May-13 19:48:02

thanks for the replies smile

I feel better now I like to think i'm just dedicated and I feel so much better about myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now