About food banks- just a bit surprised really

(382 Posts)
topbannana Mon 29-Apr-13 21:21:35

I have just come across a notice in the paper from church, appealing for donations for the local food bank.
Thankfully I have never had need for a food bank but I think they are a great idea and I was happy to buy extra and donate.
The list however was quite specific (understandable) but I was amazed to see requests for custard, rice pudding, biscuits and sugar. In my book these would be considered luxuries, in that if I was short on my grocery budget we would forego them.
Surely the food bank is there to supply people with emergency essentials not extras? As it goes I will simply buy loo rolls, pasta, powdered milk or something else off the list and ignore the bits I don't agree with. I don't really think I am but AIBU?

pussycatwillum Thu 02-May-13 08:24:22

Do Trussell Trust foodbanks take nappies, loo rolls etc.? I got the list of foods from their website and I send the goods back with DD when she goes home, but I didn't see anything about paper goods.

stressedHEmum Thu 02-May-13 10:32:51

pussycat, yes, they do. Also things like sanitary towels, baby food and pet food.

pussycatwillum Thu 02-May-13 16:24:55

Thanks, stressed.

Isiolo Thu 02-May-13 16:28:32

Good God!

the OP made me cry sad

littlemonkeychops Thu 02-May-13 19:08:23

OP you inspired me, just be in sains and popped a couple of tins of rice pudding in the foodbank :-)

Livinglavidafoca Thu 02-May-13 21:22:56

YANBU. They should only be given bread and water. Gruel is a luxury here. sarcasm

Just to remind people that the OP did accept that she was wrong on this about a dozen pages ago.

Just saying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now