I haven't committed any crime like this woman has, so why do I have to do 120 hours of unpaid work?

(366 Posts)

confusedangry Woman sentenced to 215 hours of unpaid work for committing benefit fraud. I'm currently having to do 120 hours of unpaid work (30 hours a week for 4 weeks) or I'll lose my benefits. So what's my crime? Being unemployed? Being poor? Completely baffled by this governments policies. confused

BenjaminButton172 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:01:34

These types of threads annoy me.

The reason they annoy me is because people comment and dont have a clue what they are talking about.

The work program IS slave labour. If it was 'working for your benefits' u would only have to work roughly 10 hours a week for ur 71 pounds jsa at nmw.

For that 71 u have to pay ur childcare as the jobcentre dont pay for childcare, working tax credits do and u dont get them despite working 30 hours a week.

You get NOTHING at the end of it. No job, no thanks and probably no reference either.

I wish people would open their eyes to the work program.

Dawndonna Mon 29-Apr-13 19:01:36

erm, Wanna because of the reasons listed above. I understand that there are people out there who think those on benefits are 'entitled' etc. but slave labour doesn't help anyone other than the company 'employing'. That is not good. It means that in the long run we all lose. We lose the right to union representation, maternity/paternity leave, the right to a decent wage/work environment etc. It is a dangerous path to follow.

PregnantPain Mon 29-Apr-13 19:02:32

I'm childish and would refuse to wear anything that stated I was 'volunteering' when it was not the case.

Raum I think you'll find your the one with the piss poor attitude. hmm

ajandjjmum Mon 29-Apr-13 19:04:44

It's a charity shop - no shareholders benefitting!

ParsingFancy Mon 29-Apr-13 19:06:18

Who's making you wear the "JC volunteer" badge?

It's demonstrably untrue, and I wonder if it might constitute false advertising or fraud, or something.

BenjaminButton172 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:07:13

AJ yes OP may be working for a charity shop but its not only charity shops who do the work program.

Tesco
Homebase
Poundland

Have u heard of them?

WannaBeANinja Mon 29-Apr-13 19:08:37

**The work program IS slave labour. If it was 'working for your benefits' u would only have to work roughly 10 hours a week for ur 71 pounds jsa at nmw.

For that 71 u have to pay ur childcare as the jobcentre dont pay for childcare, working tax credits do and u dont get them despite working 30 hours a week.**

if she was working 30 hours a week it wouldn't be £71 a week though would it??

I work,I pay my taxes & childcare & rent & so on and so on...

Why should I do this and yet others think they don't have too.

yet again-it's not unpaid work,she's working for her benefits!

Ledkr Mon 29-Apr-13 19:09:45

wannabe do you receive any benefits at all?
Even child benefit is a benefit.
How would you feel if you had to do a days work just to get it?
And we all pay tax not just you and the op and her husband have also so don't take it too personally eh.

ParsingFancy Mon 29-Apr-13 19:09:48

At less than the legal Minimum Wage, and in a job she has been mandated to do, rather than one she is free to leave.

AThingInYourLife Mon 29-Apr-13 19:10:48

You have committed a crime.

You are unem

ParsingFancy Mon 29-Apr-13 19:10:52

Name and shame "charity". They'll have nowt out of me.

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Mon 29-Apr-13 19:10:52

I'd feel a bit better working in a charity shop than the others mentioned.

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 29-Apr-13 19:11:22

Sorry op I can see that is miserable for you, but I broadly agree with the policy. Benefits are not free, they are funded by our taxes and for too long some people have deliberately failed to find jobs and lived off benefits as a life choice.

However, I think the jobs jobseekers do should be public sector jobs - eg street sweeping, cleaning hospitals etc.

I vote labour, come from the north and DH was recently made redundant - before anyone tries to say I'm from Berkshire!

I employed somebody on an apprenticeship programme last year. They had applied for nearly 100 jobs before getting the interview. (That's really 100 btw, not the OP's blatent exaggeration). The job centre had placed them on a work experience programme in a charity shop. They enjoyed the work and carried on volunteering there one day a week when it finished. This gave them current experience and a bloody good reference from the shop manager. They worked for me for a year for apprentice wage before getting a decent paid job within the same organsisation. 6 months later they've got another job at even better pay. The experience in the charity shop was the pebble that rolled down the hill and is now a well paid boulder with a good career. Work experience programmes are not always a bad idea though I agree that for profit organisations are exploiting them.

Babyroobs Mon 29-Apr-13 19:12:51

Sorry to read what you are going through op, it sounds really tough . The job market at the moment is just awful especially when you have been a sahm for a number of years, you are up against so much competition. really hope things improve soon for you.

ParsingFancy Mon 29-Apr-13 19:14:18

<headdesk>

And what will happen to the people currently being paid wages to sweep the streets and clean hospitals, HarrietVane?

Oh, they'll suddenly be "jobseekers". Seeking jobs that have been abolished and replaced with workfarers.

Wanna If you ever lose your job I take it you'll be happy to work for £1.50 an hour? And I take it you'll do it with a smile on your face and a spring in your step? FWIW I was also a taxpayer until I became a SAHM, DH has been a taxpayer for 22 years. This is the FIRST time he's ever had to claim unemployment benefit.

DH is also applying for numerous jobs a week, MW jobs too. He has recent experience and he also hasn't even had an interview in the past 8 months. One of us needs to be at home at least part time because dd1 is autistic. So we're both applying for full time jobs atm, and the plan is supposed to be the first one of us that manages to get a full time job takes it, and the other then starts to look for part time work.

My hospital could do with more cleaners. And people helping people to eat and get their meals whilst it's hot too.

AThingInYourLife Mon 29-Apr-13 19:16:29

You are unemployed and claiming benefits.

Misfortune is your own fault and you need to be punished to convince you not to continue on the path of hard luck.

It's important to make an example of you to keep the people who have low-paid jobs from being too uppity.

They're scroungers too and need to be kept in their place.

YoniOrNotYoni Mon 29-Apr-13 19:16:31

I mean this kindly op, but something is wrong if you're applying for that many jobs and not getting any interviews. I'm no enployment expert but I've never 'just sent a cv' for any application; I've always tailored the cv & covering letter very specifically for the job I want. I suspect you'd be better off applying for ten jobs a week but ensuring the application is spot on.

Northernlurker have one of these. biscuit

Convert Mon 29-Apr-13 19:18:57

My DH runs a pub and has had an advert in the job centre for three weeks now for chefs. He has had two applicants. One of them did a three hour trial shift and decided that he didn't want to come back. Yes it's hard work, yes it's minimum wage, but finding staff who actually want to work and don't turn up late every day and ring in sick once a week is a nightmare.
I think it's a great idea to make people do some work if they are able to. Might make people less picky about a job. Why should people get something for nothing when others are working their arses off?

Ledkr Mon 29-Apr-13 19:19:17

Arf at " our taxes"
The op has also paid tax.
Cameron's army are alive and well.

LEMisdisappointed Mon 29-Apr-13 19:19:37

Deadwomanwalking - i haven't read all the thread but i daresay there has been the stock of "entitled" comments on here.

I understand your frustration, but could you possibly try to find some positives? You are getting recent skills to put on your CV, if you are imaginative then you can make even the most generic work show off a useful skill set.

I am struggling to find work too so i sympathise, however I am probably going to do a stint of voluntary work to get back on the horse. I've done it before and i really enjoyed it. The difference for me is that it was on MY terms, it was for a friend not a charity but it was a project i enjoyed and geve me something recent for my CV. I don't think i would have been so positive if i were stacking shelves for £1.50 an hour.

Where abouts do you work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now