to not get what is wrong with 'squash'?

(128 Posts)

I guess this is a bit of thread about a thread blush A lot of people on another thread are saying they don't like their DC having squash but will allow fruit juice or smoothies. I am wondering why?
My first choice of drink for DS is water or milk. But he is allowed squash, juice or milkshake occasionally.

landofsoapandglory Mon 29-Apr-13 16:14:39

My DC had squash, juice, fizzy drinks (occasionally), milk and water. They both have lovely teeth, no fillings and now at 16 & 18 their drink of choice is water.

I've always gone with everything in moderation.

quoteunquote Mon 29-Apr-13 16:19:11

People must assume I don't allow it, as often when my children ask for a drink of water, they get the "I'm sure mummy won't mind just this once" as an adult offers them squash.

None of them have ever liked it, they like water,

I wouldn't buy anything with aspartame in or any of the other artificial sweeteners,

but if they wanted to drink it else where I wouldn't mind, but they don't like the taste,

they drink a lot of water and milk, some juice, up to them really.

I expect because I don't buy the artificial stuff, they aren't use to the taste,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tom-Morrows/328129970631201

www.greenlife.co.uk/greenlife-direct/browse/food-drink/drinks-cordials/tom-morrow-s-cordials/

we make quite a few cordials ourselves, very easy, but if you can't be bothered, I really recommend Tom Morrow's above links, really brilliant, I often buy them direct.

Flicktheswitch Mon 29-Apr-13 16:21:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Isn't squash that fruit/vegetable?

I call it juice. My son has it, i have it and my family have it. We are yet to explode

CrystalQueen Mon 29-Apr-13 16:24:23

OMG, do people not know that orange juice is also full of E numbers - E300. AKA vitamin C. E numbers are not the enemy.
We drink squash, and since my DH is diabetic it's the extra artificial sort.

havingamadmoment Mon 29-Apr-13 16:25:46

I dont know I tend to avoid talking on here about my children and what they drink because in reality they drink pretty much anything - water, milk, squash, fruit juice and yes fizzy drinks. However, they are all healthy weights, never needed any fillings or had bad teeth of any kind and sometimes choose water, sometimes choose something else.

I drink pepsi like its going out of fashion and I have never had any kind of health problems - the only filling I ever had was when I was 7 and was a result of drinking fruit juice according to my dentist grin since I didnt have fizzy drinks or sweets then!

I actually think my children have a really good mix in their diet. They have some things that are good for them and some things which just taste nice as do most adults I know.

gordyslovesheep Mon 29-Apr-13 16:25:56

Mine drink it ...sugar free stuff with sucralose in ...everything 'causes cancer' these days so I try not to get caught up in health scares ...

Mintyy Mon 29-Apr-13 16:26:56

There's squash and squash, isn't there? I buy Rock's organic squash when I'm feeling flush or any sweetener-free High Juice when I'm not.

havingamadmoment Mon 29-Apr-13 16:29:03

Oh we get everything sugar free, sugar free squash ,pepsi mas etc. Just out of habit my mum was diabetic when I was growing up so anything we shared (like squash and fizzy drink) was sugar free. I was under the impression that the link between sweetners and cancer had been proved wrong.

How does milk cause more issue than squash please?

Thurlow Mon 29-Apr-13 16:29:40

At the moment I only give DC water and milk, but it's not out of any raging anti-sugar sentiments. She's addicted to fruit so she gets plenty of sugar anyway, so I'd rather not introduce any extra to her diet if I can help it. Also DP and I don't drink anything other than water, tea and coffee, so there's nothing else in the house, but again that's more habit than anything - and tbh, if there was fizzy stuff in the house we would both drink it quickly, so it is easier not to buy it.

I'd prefer that her default was to drink water, but as she gets older and becomes aware of squash, smoothies and fizzy drinks I won't stop her drinking it. It just won't be in the house so it will only be available to her when out and about or at parties etc, until she's old enough to ask for it to be bought on the weekly shop, and we'll cross that bridge when that happens.

I'm absolutely not strict about food but I think when children are young and aren't aware of thinks like coke, chocolate and sweets, why go out of your way to introduce it? They'll want and probably have enough of it when they are older. If they still think a beaker of water and a bowl of peas is exciting, why change that?

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 29-Apr-13 16:38:35

I let DS have squash AND diet coke.

But I think I can see two horns and a forked tail sprouting so I wouldn't advise it.

Marmalade shock You let him have coke?! Has he not exploded yet? grin

I was brought up to drink what ever I wanted and I survived. Just.

Chiggers Mon 29-Apr-13 16:45:02

Wasn't there a documentary on a few months back stating that not all E-numbers are bad. In fact, a fair few E-numbers are actually naturally occurring substances. That said, there are a lot of E-numbers that are synthetic (man made) and they're the ones to be avoided if possible. There are natural foods that are used as preservatives. Salt is widely known as a preservative and turmeric a naturally occurring yellow colourant, also known as curcumin or E100. So not all E-numbers are evil.

Anyway, I'll put away as many different E-numbers as I can because at my age, I could do with all the preservatives I can get my hands on wink.

Squitten Mon 29-Apr-13 16:46:36

My kids don't have squash purely because we don't buy it! Hate the taste of it - same reason I hate that fruit water crap. Bleugh....

They have water, milk and fruit juice.

Aspartame isn't bad for you, though, is it? It's just a couple of amino acids that you consume in large quantities if you drink milk and eat fruit and vegetables. If you think aspartic acid and methyl ester are bad for you, you better stop giving your kids milk and juice. If they're ok though, you can give them aspartame ...

Sugar-full squash has the same amount of sugar as juice, 10g in 100ml. Both of them contain NATURAL sugar of course. One from fruit, one from sugar cane ...

Flicktheswitch Mon 29-Apr-13 16:49:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EggsMichelle Mon 29-Apr-13 16:49:58

Fruit shoots are nasty, as is pre diluted ribena, they give me migraines they are so sweet. However Tesco own NAS squash has been my drink of choice since I was very small, and apart from the current but of baby weight I'm carrying, I have always been fit and healthy with all my teeth and no fillings.

Oh I wish ds2 would drink coke. He has T1 diabetes, it would be sooo useful. Nice, fast-acting glucose. I wonder if I can train him to like it somehow. Any tips?

wonderingagain Mon 29-Apr-13 16:50:28

Fruit juice is terrible for teeth and has as much sugar in it as coke.

www.hookedonjuice.com/

Squash can be diluted to have much less sugar and berry cordials have a lot of vitamin C.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 29-Apr-13 16:52:36

"
I was brought up to drink what ever I wanted and I survived. Just."

I can imagine you swigging vodka in your high chair wink

Chiggers Mon 29-Apr-13 16:54:04

I've been told by a lot of the dentists in my area that Petite Filous have more sugar in them than the supermarket value yoghurts. I didn't believe it at first, but every dentist at my surgery have said as much as has the dentists at the surgery my cousin works at. Not to mention the dentists at the surgeries I used to deliver their headed paper to (I used to work in a commercial printers).

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 29-Apr-13 16:55:58

Petit Filous are the devil. They cause tooth decay and are not as good for your children as the marketing would have you believe.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 29-Apr-13 16:56:23

My ds had a massive full fat coke float yesterday, we are going to hell aren't we?!

Marmalade My mum wasn't that nasty, obviously there was coke in the bottle too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now