AIBU - No sweets or squash

(444 Posts)
mamab30 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:16:45

AIBU to not serve squash or give out sweets at a children's party?

Just wondering what parents would think of going to a children's party where there was only water to drink and just birthday cake to take home. For us that would be normal and I wouldn't think anything of it but just wondering if parents would be surprised at not seeing squash or sweets?

SoftSheen Mon 29-Apr-13 13:35:50

Fresh fruit juice mixed with fizzy water makes a lovely 'treat' drink that is fairly healthy.

Personally, unless the guests are all babies, I would serve a selection of savoury food (mini sandwiches, veg sticks and houmous, mini quiches etc) and afterwards sweet food (fruit kebabs, fruit juice jellies, ice cream, choc biscuits).

Overall this is not by any means a nutritional disaster, and if you serve no sweet things at all children are likely to be disappointed. I agree though that there is really no need for the likes of haribo etc.

WowOoo Mon 29-Apr-13 13:35:59

I wouldn't mind at all.

Both dc give me their sweets (I do like sweets!) and both would be perfectly happy with water.

i'd think you were mean and possibly mad, and i'd probably leave.

EasterHoliday Mon 29-Apr-13 13:36:18

have been to loads of parties without sweets or squash up to age 5 or 6. THink nothing of it, however there have been plenty of edible treats - cocktail sausages / cheesestring / those yoghurt tubes / biscuits / birthday cake / apple juice in a carton or water.
It's normal round here (then we hit 5 / 6 and there's sweets all over the shop. I am guilty of this too)

canyou Mon 29-Apr-13 13:36:44

We have a DC with very bad eczema [certain citrus fruits are a problem] so I offer water, milk [and choc milk blush ] berry or apple juice, most jelly sweets are also out but I offer animal biscuits, choc fingers and fairy cakes and decorate your own cookies. I also keep individual pks of natural fruit jellies and each child gets one pk. Friends do think I am means at the lack of fizzy drinks and sweets but tough the health of my DC are more important to me but I do feel mean

mamab30 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:37:02

What do you mean by 'worthy'? That doesn't make sense!

I'm asking obviously to see what other people think.

rubyslippers Mon 29-Apr-13 13:37:31

i was thinking water AND juice

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 29-Apr-13 13:38:21

DD hates squash (and fruit juice) and sweets. I still had squash and sweets at her birthday because it was a party for all the children.

I think the sweets thing is fine if there are other things to eat but I would have a backup in case kids won't drink water. Are you providing other party food or just the cake?

rubyslippers Mon 29-Apr-13 13:39:19

kids LOVE at parties

it's the 80/20 rule

eat well most of the time, then doesn't matter when you go a bit crazy

i did pick and mix and my DS's party last year - was a triumph grin

OHforDUCKScake Mon 29-Apr-13 13:39:30

Really mean. Its a party.

Sure it may be normal for you to to have sweets or squash, but a party is not an every day occurance.

Loosen up a bit, life is there for living.

What exactly do you think a couple of sweets and a glass of squash will actually do?

What happens when your DC go to parties and there's squash, sweets and cake, jelly and ice cream? <faints>

TimothyClaypoleLover Mon 29-Apr-13 13:39:46

I am about to have a kids party and will not be dishing out sweets. I can't stand it when a huge bowl of sweets goes round for the kids to help themselves, particularly when there is lots of other party food on offer as well as cake. I will however be serving squash. My kids drink mainly water but appreciate that not all kids do.

canyou Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:04

But I will say if DC goes to a party I will watch her diet for the week and if she eats a few sweets she eats a few sweets, if she drinks full fat milk she drinks it and we live with the end result I cannot wait until she is old enough to know what type of sweet/drink/cake is a no no for her

mamab30 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:13

I was asking about drinks and the 'sweets' issue.

The cake will be fabulous (the thing to look forward to of course) and we are having a BBQ feast, no processed stuff

SirChenjin Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:37

Well we've told you. Now you're laughing at the fact that we've said you'd be boring/mean/miserable. So if you think it's funny you've obviously not had the answers you were looking for, and you obviously don't think you'd be boring/mean/miserable - so again, why bother asking?

DiscoDonkey Mon 29-Apr-13 13:41:30

Just water would be annoying as mine don't drink it, I think you should offer fresh juice and milk too (I don't give my dc's squash either so would be happy it wasn't there)

Mine don't eat sweets so that wouldn't bother me but if you not planning on any crisps or biscuits then that is dull tbh.

I don't think parties have to be an overload of haribo and fruit shoots BUT party food should consist of a bit of food that you don't have often. If your not bothered about looking like a bit of a smug earth mum then carry on.

mamab30 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:42:17

Oh for ducks sake - he asks for water whilst everyone else drinks squash and he doesn't particularly care for sweets.

JazzDalek Mon 29-Apr-13 13:42:28

I would love to take my kids to a party with no sweets or squash.

I would offer diluted fruit juice though as some kids don't drink plain water, and I think it would be nice to have some treaty things, home-baked biscuits or muffins or something. Party food should be fun and special but this doesn't have to mean awful sweetener / additive-laced crap.

It is the ONE thing I am really uptight about blush I am otherwise very laissez-faire; we eat things like chips, crisps, chocolate and so on, occasionally and in moderation, but not actual sweets.

irregularegular Mon 29-Apr-13 13:42:32

I've never served squash or sweets at a party. However, I've not served just water to drink and cake to take home either.

I've served apple or orange juice until relatively recently. They are now 9 and 10 and I'll offer lemonade too - though not all of them want it. I'd also offer small cakes and biscuits as part of party tea. I've often put small sweets or fun-size bars in party bags, but not always, I think. All that is normal round here.

Just water and no other sweet stuff apart from birthday cake would be slightly odd, but not very. Actually, if you are having a hot meal rather than sandwiches then no-one would notice that there was only birthday cake I think.

DiscoDonkey Mon 29-Apr-13 13:42:46

How old are the children attending?

Bingdweller Mon 29-Apr-13 13:43:28

The best kids party I was ever at included a sit-down meal for the kids with a choice of fish-pie, pasta bake or meatballs. There were 25 kids and it was held in the home (admittedly a lovely farmhouse on a working family farm). We did have jelly & ice-cream for pudding or clootie dumpling! The child was 4 so kids ranged in age from about 1-6 and they absolutely loved the food.

There were traditional party games and helium balloons for the kids to take home. It was so refreshing and the hosts were lovely, generous and incredibly hospitable. They just don't believe in "party food" and giving sweets etc.

It was a lovely change!

EasterHoliday Mon 29-Apr-13 13:43:35

well old killjoy here thinks you're absolutely fine with what you suggest and I always make the kids eat the savoury stuff before anything sweet goes out... If you've laid on great entertainment, they won't even notice.

DiscoDonkey Mon 29-Apr-13 13:44:08

That's great that he likes water and not bothered about sweets but he won't be the only child there will he?

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 29-Apr-13 13:45:18

If it was here, the kids would be be a bit disappointed, but not too bothered.

The parents would smirk at the realisation that you're one of those parents.

'Jocasta doesn't like sweets, do you Jocasta? No, Jocasta loves tofu treats. Jocasta, Jocasta come away from the Haribo, no Jocasta you don't like those, you don't like those ones, come here mummy has some carrot sticks for you....'

pictish Mon 29-Apr-13 13:46:57

This thread is a just a thin disguise for projecting some self satisfaction I think.

Well done OP - I'd offer you a chocolate medal but I doubt you'd want it. How about a disc of tofu instead? You can wear that around your neck at the party, while you're handing out the water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now