AIBU - No sweets or squash

(444 Posts)
mamab30 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:16:45

AIBU to not serve squash or give out sweets at a children's party?

Just wondering what parents would think of going to a children's party where there was only water to drink and just birthday cake to take home. For us that would be normal and I wouldn't think anything of it but just wondering if parents would be surprised at not seeing squash or sweets?

StealthOfficialCrispTester Fri 03-May-13 12:40:23

Op what are your reasons then? You mention wanting to be different.

Maryz Fri 03-May-13 12:53:31

Wow, this is still going shock.

I must say AuchAyethenoo sounds like a barrel of laughs. I can't believe her child would only eat grapes at a party, that there wasn't a single bit of party food her child was willing to eat.

notso Fri 03-May-13 13:41:08

DS2 is just like that Maryz and I am a barrel of laughs!
Won't eat food in a shape or with a face on, won't eat sandwiches, doesn't like chocolate, doesn't like chips, I won't bore you with the rest of his oddness.
DD on the other hand will eat any old crap, and DS3 and 4 seem to be following in her footsteps.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Fri 03-May-13 13:42:44

No food in ashape or with a face on? That's billy bear ham out!

HSMMaCM Fri 03-May-13 13:46:40

We had a party with water to drink and cake for pudding/take home. I don't think the children even noticed.

They had fun, got fed, had a drink and squashed some cake in the car on the way home.

No complaints.

notso Fri 03-May-13 13:50:17

DS2 & 3, that should be.

Water, Squash (weak or strong, sugary or sugar free), Milk and Fruit juice are all just normal everyday drinks.Just because your particular child does or doesn't like them doesn't make them any less normal or any more special.

notso Fri 03-May-13 13:54:12

Indeed Stealth and Milkybars, Freddo's, Smiley Faces, Randoms, Haribo, Monster Munch all the good stuff!

Maryz Fri 03-May-13 14:08:43

ds1 wouldn't eat crap either (unfortunately dd and ds2 aren't like him). But faced with a table of party food, he would have found something to eat if he was hungry - taken the ham out of the sandwiches, eaten bread and butter, sausage rolls, biscuits, that type of thing, as well as any fruit and veg on offer.

If a child's diet is so restricted that they will either only eat processed or only eat 100% "healthy" food they will have problems either way and so I don't see why it is something to boast about.

My hmm about Auch was her post refusing to pour fizzy drinks at a party despite them being provided by the hostess. Not for her own children, but for any children. The "I'm better than you" attitude that is behind a lot of this really annoys me.

GeneHuntsMistress Fri 03-May-13 14:34:59

I can't trawl through hundreds of messages so I'm sorry if this has all been said before.

1. When you go to a party, do you only drink water? Nothing else?
2. You are showing your child dreadful manners as to how to be an appalling host.
3. It's not "your party, your rules" - its your son's party. Perhaps you should allow him some input, without you influencing his opinion.

Hth
Have fun (I'm not sure your son and friends will though I'm afraid).

Bananasinfadedpjs Fri 03-May-13 15:48:42

Maryz the poster refusing to pour out fizzy drinks for her (doubtless bemused and increasingly thirsty nephews and nieces) gave me a fit of the giggles.

But my favourite patronising post was I would like to take an opportunity to ask those who say their child won't drink water, do you feel if you hadn't introduced other drinks (juice/flavoured milks etc) that your child would have this issue?
In my case, I introduced them because my child wouldn't drink enough water, and I needed to get some fluids into her. I bet that's the case for lots of people.

When my daughter's paediatrician said she needed to drink more fluids, guess whether he said "It doesn't matter what it is: fizzy water, juice, cordial, herbal tea, whatever you like." or if he said "but for the love o' God make sure she only ever has water or milk."

Incidentally, now she is used to drinking a sensible amount, rather than dehydrating herself, she happily drinks water, sometimes she particularly requests it.

Sirzy Fri 03-May-13 16:13:24

DS will eat the fruit and veg first but then will work his way through plenty of other things. Won't touch anything like nuggets or fish fingers though much to my annoyance when I want a quick tea!

Bunbaker Fri 03-May-13 17:06:14

"In my case, I introduced them because my child wouldn't drink enough water, and I needed to get some fluids into her. I bet that's the case for lots of people."

Same here. DD was getting horribly constipated and the HV advised me to increase her fluid intake. DD wouldn't drink water at all so I gave her some very dilute orange squash.

She is 12 now and drinks loads of water - and other things as well.

sweetestcup Fri 03-May-13 22:45:48

jewcy you need to stop it - right now....I dont think I can stop laughing! grin

Rockinhippy Fri 03-May-13 23:30:29

"In my case, I introduced them because my child wouldn't drink enough water, and I needed to get some fluids into her. I bet that's the case for lots of people.

Same here too - especially as she suffered from frequent, often constant diareah, it literally kept her out of hospital -

& FTR to the poster if the original of the original patronising as hell, head way too far up your own backside post - you are living in cloud cuckoo land to think that those of us not giving our DCs only water are less than you & our DCs therefore eat unhealthily

Mine too now asks for water, but she's been brought up mostly on diluted juice - not squash - as she's intolerant & she eats & drinks very healthily, but treats allowed too, especially at parties - because I've seen first hand the effects on kids eating & drinking habits that this kind of OTT control freakery really has

As a teen my friends parents were like this - I was fascinated by their kitchen full of jars of weird & wonderful pulses, seeds grains & spices, the kids weren't allowed anything other than water & a strict vegan wholefood diet - or so they thought - my friend couldn't wait to get into town to gorge on burgers & coke & bit later beer - no surprise she ended up seriously over weight & lived like that after she left home at a very young age.

I've an adult friend who owns up to acing the same sort of upbringing, she's another overweight as a result of an excessively bad diet

So where as you might thing your way is laying foundations for healthy eating for your DCs in fact more likely your OTT denial of foods you look down on are going to make them VERY VERY attractive to your DCs & as soon as they can make choices for themselves, that's what they will most likely go for.

So those odd unhealthy treats that you look down your nose at, IME lay the foundations for a far healthier attitude to food

exoticfruits Sat 04-May-13 07:05:02

I agree with Rockinhippy- I too have seen the end result of over controlling parents. The aim is to self regulate- something they need to learn for themselves.

Jewcy Sat 04-May-13 14:34:45

I agree with anyone who says worthy, holier-than-thou mummies should be drowned in a vat of squash.

Bunbaker Sat 04-May-13 18:51:40

Not squash, Coca Cola grin

TreeLuLa Sat 04-May-13 18:55:57

Be fine for my DCs.

DCs are nearly 4

They don't drink squash and have only had sweets sent home from parties and prechool.

They love cake though! grin

pollywollydoodle Sat 04-May-13 23:22:56

bunbaker would they dissolve or drown first - having no coke tolerance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now