To be fuming at the Hermes delivery driver.

(127 Posts)
ComposHat Sun 28-Apr-13 21:06:50

I'd ordered a pair of shoes from Clarks (I've done this loads of times before) and have found the service to be fine.

This time they appear to be delivery company called Hermes (who is the Greek God of incompetent and lazy delivery drivers). I had to go and visit my parents unexpectedly and what do you know, there's a card in the communal hallway to the flat. Fair enough, I thought, I'll have to re-arrange delivery/collect from the depot. No problem with that at all.

But no, the idiot driver had dumped the parcel in a completely open communal backyard shared by about 15 different flats. When I got back - what a surprise - the parcel wasn't there.Leaving a package outside in full public view in the middle of a high crime area, who would have thunk it?

I logged onto the Herpes Hermes website and their auto tracking thing says that the customer (me) had not only received the item, but had signed for it!

AIBU to go absolutely crazy at Hermes and/or Clarks at 8:30 tomorrow morning? And what are my chances of getting my shoes replaced?

Purpleknickers Wed 20-Nov-13 15:18:14

My Hermes lady is also fantastic

OatcakeCravings Wed 20-Nov-13 15:02:15

My Hermes delivery lady is fantastic, never had an issue at all and I get about 2 -3 parcels a week. It must depend on where you live...

Fleta Wed 20-Nov-13 14:34:30

Nothing you say TheFastCanadian is ANY fault of the person who is hoping to receive a parcel. My contract is with the company who I have bought from who employ Hermes to deliver - that is all I actually need to know.

The last time Hermes delivered to us they delivered an exceedingly valuable parcel to our neighbours.....and then put the card to say what they had done through the same neighbours door. Brilliant.

It doesn't take much more than a modicum of common sense to not leave a parcel in full view of the street / in a bin / in the pouring rain / throw it over a gate.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 20-Nov-13 14:09:15

*TheFastCanadian, the whole set up sounds like a fucking mess.

If it's truly that bad then you haven't got a leg to stand on...the company shouldn't be in business.*

Agreed. I think your complaints should be against your employer Fast
not its customers.

We used to have a really good HDN delivery man, very good.
Last Christmas I felt so sorry for a private courier delivering on behalf of Debenhams. It was embarrassing for me. I'd put in a very large order, but they sent it all out piecemeal and the poor guy was here what seemed like almost every day over a two-three week period. I tried saying, just wait and bring them all at the same time, but they didn't.

Have had far too many awful experiences to detail, but once couriers for M&S left six boxes of wine in an open public foyer despite the door with the bell being right there and the office being manned. Driver admitted where he'd left them and M&S resent the order.

Last year I had a real row with a delivery company who insisted I wasn't in. They got their driver on the phone while I held and the driver admitted in the end that no he hadn't left a card and he didn't really know if we were in because he hadn't even been to the house hmm

Leaving parcels in plain sight on the doorstep or in a wheelie/recyling collection bin is just ridiculous.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 20-Nov-13 14:03:34

Haven't bothered reading the full thread but: most home deivery companies are shit and employ shitheads.

I was asked by one if I wanted a job on the artic side. £7.50 ph, when everyone else was paying £10. Pffft.

PearlArgyle Wed 20-Nov-13 13:50:37

Our Hermes delivery person is lovely and efficient. I'm surprised only 45p per parcel!

ena19 Wed 20-Nov-13 13:44:39

I am surprised if Ebay knows that this company is a doggy, why they allow to use it to seller. Ebay doesn't offer any protection as for them the tracking number is valid. So they don't deliver , you chase the seller, you chase ebay as you cannot contact Hermes as buyer. Really disgusting. and I must say I am not happy with Ebay that knows the problem and just blame you if you claim. Hermes is a scam company, They leave the parcel outside and put in the tracking "delivered".....

mitchsta Tue 05-Nov-13 10:13:26

YANBU. Hermes are shit. They once left my Amazon order (books) outside in the rain (and I mean heavy rain for DAYS, not just a bit of unexpected drizzle). Needless to say, the [cardboard] packaging and contents were completely ruined by the time I got home and Amazon had to re-send my order. 'Twas a very sad sight, that pile of soggy books...

Yodel threw dd2's Christmas present over the fence - it was a ds lite. I returned it. They also left a HUGE Boden parcel in my completely open and in view of the street porch area. When I got home it wasn't there........the next day my neighbour came round with it. The postman had seen it there, thought it would get nicked and moved it, giving it to her. I think he thought she would come straight round with it when I got home but she cba I guess. By then I'd given Boden such an earful that they were preparing to refund me (which I then cancelled) and have put Royal MAil only on my account.

Strumpetron Tue 05-Nov-13 07:52:58

I can't name one good courier. I've worked with many over the years and they're all shite.

Sick of arguing with drivers. Sick of having to argue with customers because they think it's our fault the couriers are shit. Can't blame them though because they are.

ALWAYS get drivers effing and blinding at me 'this address doesn't exist' hmm yes it fucking does you gobshite I'm looking at it on google maps. Then try to bully me for my clients number, which I refuse to give as they are vulnerable adults and I'm not havig them idiots speak to them like they speak to me. RANT OVER

rastamouserules Tue 05-Nov-13 07:47:12

This thread has Madame laugh. I have been having big probs with my Hermes driver. have a little brick out house built on the side of my house which used to house my oil burner now I'm gas this is empty. Not only does Hermes man stash my parcels whether I'm in it not but he puts my neighbours parcels their to. I feel like a RM sorting office FFs

PatoBanton Tue 05-Nov-13 07:39:13

TheFastCanadian, the whole set up sounds like a fucking mess.

If it's truly that bad then you haven't got a leg to stand on...the company shouldn't be in business.

birdybear Tue 05-Nov-13 07:31:14

Wellardgrandpa- i would presume the majority of people know what castigatory means. Did you mean to be so rude and condescending when writing in brackets 'look it up'?

Zingy123 Tue 05-Nov-13 07:15:25

Our one seems to think my porch is the local depot. If anyone within about 20 houses isn't in he dumps them in my porch. I don't even know half the neighbours. I have now left a note telling him they will be disposed of in future. I came home one day and couldn't even get in my own porch as he had left a huge box there.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 05-Nov-13 01:32:19

Our Hermes lady is great, she brings me my friends parcels if not in and I only have to text her and hide returns in a hiding place. She's much better than the dx, ups and yodel who go to a totally different address!

firawla Tue 05-Nov-13 01:19:09

I get a higher than average amount of parcels delivered (several per day normally) and tbh the vast majority of couriers are pretty good I very rarely have a problem. Might depend on area, being in block of flats etc but we have moved around a fair bit and not had many problems anywhere. Where I am now, hermes delivery person is my neighbour directly opposite which is pretty handy tbh! But get from dpd, yodel etc and not really any problem from any of them. I'm quite grateful for my local postmen and delivery people they make my life easy by doing their job well! Sure there are crap ones around and it is a total pain when parcels get lost but many delivery people hermes included are pretty good so i respect you for the work you do fastcanadian

Hiding this thread now as cba with your rant .

TheFastCanadian Tue 05-Nov-13 00:50:52

Also you can refuse an item?

TheFastCanadian Tue 05-Nov-13 00:46:58

But your interpretation of an incompetent fool holds no water unless you have ever done job? Thinking on your feet and delivering 15-20 parcels an hour plus collections, dealing with bin men in your way, juggling trades button times, fatigue and tiredness from trotting around. You got to be switched on! A girl covered my round while I was on holiday last week. I have come back to total carnage, with parcels missing, unexplained complaints blatant thieving however cannot prove, and a totally undelivered Fri, sat round. The day I returned I had 75 parcels, plus 129 she dumped back at depot. It took me from 7am to 9pm to complete just over 215 drops/pick ups. She was sacked and is one of these half hearted people who probably thought it was easy peezy. She is being done for fraud and theft to for good measures.

TheFastCanadian Tue 05-Nov-13 00:33:35

I see parcels squished, wet, with holes, rattling, speaking spanish, obviously broken. That doesn't mean I did it. When they are dragged out of depot in rain they are not treated mistreated but time is money. I see loads of parcel rely poorly packed to save money which the biggest false economy!

TheFastCanadian Tue 05-Nov-13 00:25:24

What would you do if you were say me delivering your shoes and nobody in the entire block of 15 flats is in or willing to take your parcel because they find you obnoxious, or they are fed up with all the stuff you order on a daily basis? Remember you got 5 hours to pick up kids from school and say 55 parcels after this one? How long does it take to knock on everyones door to not get a safe neighbour? Say you get no access and have to do doorbell calling from what seem like a broken intercom?

It takes a lot of time a willpower to call 15 flats when in the back of your mind you have limited time in day, people calling you for collections all the time and day issues with Hermes computer signature box. This one parcel could take 30 minutes out of three days before it's returned undeliverable because of access or customer unavailable, all for 45p I personally don't leave in public areas but the pressure to get job done might push a handful of couriers too?

Ooh I hate my delivery woman angry

She once handed me a parcel that looked as though it had been used as a football , It was a plastic toybox & it was in bits & yet she insisted it was supposed to look like that hmm

Canadia I/They are not saying that All Couriers are Lazy , but their is a vast majority that really are incompetent fools .

TheFastCanadian Tue 05-Nov-13 00:01:10

I am a Hermes courier. I don't get paid £1.95 per parcel, I wish I did! I get 45p per parcel. My round is just north of Portsmouth, so you can call it Wymering which is average crime rate area for UK stats.

I have heard lots of horror stories about couriers losing parcels, signing for customers and generally giving the great couriers a really bad name!

I would be really offended to be called a lazy fucker who dumps people's parcels in plain view of public areas? I am not sure 60-100 parcels a day is lazy. Sometimes you got to put over gates, and in recycling bins or last ditch if there isn't anywhere suitable to hide/leave we have to carry forward increasing load the next day? It is a very very physical job that requires strength and stamina, you cannot be lazy or weak and those who are don't last long.

When I am not a courier, I am not wasting my life on benefits but doing a fulfilling if not poorly paid job while in school hours. My wife is s Midwife, so I generally am main childcare facilitator. I get them to school the get my parcels delivered (with greatest care and common sense) then pick them up from school again. I also do my history degree part time and play and run a hockey team on saturdays. So I really do find it hurtful and ignorant to be called lazy by people who have lost a parcel yet bitch about a job they know very little about?

Sorry mums

Mogz Tue 22-Oct-13 07:33:49

Fucking Hermes once threw a large box marked fragile over my 8ft garden fence, knocking a hole in my rabbit's run. Rabbits then escaped from garden and in to the parking lot behind our houses. Took hours after work to catch them back up and one had a cut on her face. Contents of parcel completely smashed (small glass vivarium) AND the fucker had the audacity to mark the delivery as signed for! Complained and was told it was my fault as I hadn't specified a 'safe place' or left instructions for the driver, they were just not interested in acknowledging that perhaps their delivery method was a little flawed and that they'd damaged my property. Quickly changed their tune when I threatened to take the buggers to small claims court.

Caitlin17 Mon 21-Oct-13 23:40:04

I'm slightly surprised they are allowed to use the name "Hermes"

I saw the title and thought what possibly could Hermès, purveyors of extraordinarily nice silk scarves have done to upset the OP.

I don't think Clark's will be difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now