Dp eating Dd's lunch

(145 Posts)
ImIBeingTotalyUnreasonable Sat 27-Apr-13 13:33:47

Dp always does this before Dd has had a chance to eat.

Today we got home at lunch, 19 month Dd is ready for a nap and hungry. Cue me rushing around cooking some spag bol. pasta for her lunch whilst 'D'p sits reading the paper. Dd is too tired to eat so I put her down for her nap. Meanwhile Dp has eaten all of Dd's lunch, which she would have eaten after her nap.

Now my question is what self respecting adult eats their child's food before they've had a chance to eat?! I'm sick and tired of telling him to give her a chance to eat before he eats her food. And it's not like we don't have any other food in the house either. It drives me absolutely nuts!

X-post smile

ImIBeingTotalyUnreasonable Sat 27-Apr-13 14:02:28

No as I said up thread I batch cook spag Bol sauce. We had some for dinner last night and l left a toddler sized portion for Dd before freezing the rest. I generally do all the cooking. Having been out all morning my priority is dealing with a cranky toddler. Dp and I would have had lunch later. Therefore was it too much for him to have a snack if he was feeling hungry rather than eat the food I had made for dd.

ImIBeingTotalyUnreasonable Sat 27-Apr-13 14:04:21

It's no accident. It's deliberate. When I pulled him up on it he said he was hungry! Dp is Dd father. I expect him to put her needs first once in a while.

FoxyRoxy Sat 27-Apr-13 14:08:35

Does he make his own meals at all OP? I cannot fathom why he thinks its ok to eat his 19mo child's food because he's "hungry", make yourself a god damned sandwich then! He sounds really, really lazy.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 27-Apr-13 14:09:02

YANBU. Presumably he will also have some more lunch and now there is nothing for DD.

Machli Sat 27-Apr-13 14:11:19

He sounds like a selfish twat.

Is there any chance he thought it wouldn't get eaten though because dd had gone to bed so he might as well have it?

pinkyredrose Sat 27-Apr-13 14:13:46

Hang on in your OP you said 'Cue me rushing around cooking some spag bol. pasta for her lunch' but then you just said you'd made it last night?

And why would you make her some food when she's ready for a nap?

AnyoneforTurps Sat 27-Apr-13 14:17:15

Why don't you & DH take it in turns to make lunch for the whole family? His behaviour sounds odd but frankly so does yours. Perhaps he feels that you don't care about him any more, now that you have DD - though he is just as bad by not helping and then eating her food. You both need to start behaving as a couple, I'd say.

SolomanDaisy Sat 27-Apr-13 14:19:09

So you mean you reheated some of last night's tea? You wouldn't cook it a third time, so I guess it was reasonable to assume it was leftovers. But if he does it regularly and when she's still in the highchair eating, then he's being bizarrely selfish.

HenrySugar Sat 27-Apr-13 14:21:14

Put a sign on the food - "FOR DD - DO NOT EAT"

or

Don't bother making a cooked lunch, bread/cheese/apple/yoghurt is quick and fine

or

If dd must eat a cooked lunch, get home earlier before she's tired or make her food the night before

ImIBeingTotalyUnreasonable Sat 27-Apr-13 14:31:36

pinky the sauce was made yesterday. I made fresh pasta to go with it today.

The issue isn't in the making of lunch. She often has a hot lunch because she won't eat bread unless its jam on toast.

The issue is an adult who will eat a child food before she has eaten, finished eating etc. Maybe I am BU.

anastaisia Sat 27-Apr-13 14:34:39

YANBU

bamboostalks Sat 27-Apr-13 14:37:38

Yanbu. Who eats their baby's food? Weird.

ImIBeingTotalyUnreasonable Sat 27-Apr-13 14:40:04

Sometimes I have a lie in till 9 or 10 on a Saturday morning. Dp gets up with Dd at 7.30. He used to get himself breakfast but not give Dd any. I would sort it out when i got up. She's now more vocal when she wants something. Or if she sees him eating she'll want whatever it is. Is this normal? hmm

Bearbehind Sat 27-Apr-13 14:42:49

I don't really see the problem because, if you are reheating batch cooked food, you shouldn't reheat it again anyway so whatever your daughter left would have to be binned anyway.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 27-Apr-13 14:43:01

YANBU

HoneyDragon Sat 27-Apr-13 14:43:19

You made her lunch. He ate it fora snack. Greedy, lazy and selfish.

No, that seems weird too! What is it with him and not wanting her to bloody eat??!!

AThingInYourLife Sat 27-Apr-13 14:45:29

Not normal

juniper9 Sat 27-Apr-13 14:45:32

Have you asked him about his attitude towards food? Maybe he has underlying issues.

All of my siblings and I have weird issues with food, mainly caused by my dad's attitude when we were little. Even as reasonable, grown adults it can be hard to not revert back to being 6.

ImIBeingTotalyUnreasonable Sat 27-Apr-13 14:46:03

I get the point about reheating a third time. But as I said this often happens when I've cooked fresh food too. I just find it bizarre. The amount of times I've told him and it doesn't even register.

juniper9 Sat 27-Apr-13 14:46:13

Incidentally, I don't think YABU, but I also wonder if there's something deeper going on with your DP. Especially regarding the not giving her breakfast but sorting himself.

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 27-Apr-13 14:47:41

He would eat breakfast and not get her anything??!!! Omg, that is not normal.

When she's eating he'll be quick to clear away her food, whilst I will always encourage her to eat some more. YAbothBU. She should eat as much as she chooses. Not having it whisked away and not being encouraged.

Also, reheating food twice is VERY bad. Don't do that. DH may have saved DD from food poisoning.

ImIBeingTotalyUnreasonable Sat 27-Apr-13 14:49:24

I do think he has issues with food. He eats very quickly and does often binge. He can't have his dinner then stop when full. He eats till he's uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now