to feel uncomfortable putting make up on my 4 yo?

(78 Posts)
Flojobunny Sat 27-Apr-13 13:13:09

I know I am BU and I can't explain why.
I've always been one of these parents that said she can't wear nail vanish then I let her get her face painted and a local fete.
She is in a dance show on stage and I have to put foundation, eye shadow and lipstick on her. I've told myself its just stage make up and it isn't the same but as my DD puckers up and says I'm like a grown up now I feel rather uncomfortable with it all. Yet don't have a probably with her dressing up as a nurse or a policeman.
I'm BU aren't I.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 28-Apr-13 13:13:03

It all depends on what lighting is used. The dance schools in our area make their shows as professional looking as ossicle

In drama however performances are much simpler using more natural lighting and minimalist staging.

SomethingOnce Sun 28-Apr-13 13:14:09

I'm sure this will come up with my own DD at some point; I won't stop her doing it but I won't like seeing it.

Facepaint is different - a pirate or a puppy design won't enforce a sense that adult women are not quite beautiful enough without an eyepatch or whiskers.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 28-Apr-13 13:17:03

I actually quite admire the teacher if you see the show in the contextcthatvthey are the elite comp kids aiming for professional careers - not the once a week for fun & friendship kids

She sticks. To her guns about hair tied back and appropriate dance wear (socks and a t shirt is dangerous for acro/gymnastics.

However I wouldn't have let dd wear that wild child costume.

The mums apart from I think the teacher one (Nia's mum) are awful especially Cathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now