to think this couple were silly be abroad for the birth of their son

(108 Posts)
Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:35:10

A couple I know - acquaintances, more than friends - planned to be on holiday in a distant country for the birth of their son. Their son has been born and requires medical attention and they have no insurance - and have started a fundraiser online - Am I being unreasonable to think that was a really, really silly decision?

Rufus20 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:16:29

They sound like damn fools to not have insurance, YANBU

McNewPants2013 Sun 28-Apr-13 12:35:59

I really don't think anybody here can judge the parents, because the op doesn't really know the parents that well.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 28-Apr-13 12:20:22

An emergency passport can only be issued if you've had yours lost or stolen - not for a first passport.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 28-Apr-13 12:17:07

Most Embassies and Consulates no longer issue passports - it's all done in the UK. So no 24 hour turn round any more. DD1's passport took about a week to get back from UK (we're in France). And I'm not sure you can have an emergency passport if you've never held a passport before.

lozster Sun 28-Apr-13 09:00:27

No insurance will cover you for this as it is in effect a planned birth. Insurance is for unforeseen eventualities. A baby arriving after nine months is not a surprise. Indeed, anyone travelling should check the t&c of their policy very carefully as although many will cover pregnant women they won't cover a 'normal' birth. The definition of 'normal' can extend to slightly prem so although you might be covered for a broken leg and an ultrasound, the birth and associated costs may not be taken care of. Incidentally, I was also rejected from some insurance because my pregnancy is a result of ivf!

In terms of being asked if you are pregnant/how many weeks, I have just returned from Spain. No questions on way out but I was asked on the way back was I pregnant and how many weeks. I am below the travel cut off and the date from which a drs letter is required. I had my notes with me though they accepted my word.

Bloody idiots. Poor baby.

But also, boy are they in for a shock with a baby. If they were so convinced everything would be fine for a natural yoga birth they presumably imagine the baby will fit neatly into their terribly hip lives. Just snoozing in a sling and having a spot of milk from time to time.....
Ha ha ha. Don't know whether to laugh or cry (& it kind of depends on how poorly the baby is)

sashh Sun 28-Apr-13 05:43:33

Wasn't there a couple recently in the news who had their baby somewhere in Europe and didn't have insurance so had to do a fundraiser because the baby was prem and needed treatment?

Not for treatment no, that was covered because baby is EU citizen, but insurance would have paid for an air ambulance to get baby back to Britain.

I can understand them starting a fund raiser, and I would probably give too - as long as any surplus was left with the hospital for local children.

I do think going abroad to give birth is .............. well it's an interesting idea and you do have to plan for if things go wrong.

BonaDea Sun 28-Apr-13 00:40:15

Yanbu and are being unfairly slated. Sounds like very silly behaviour!!

HellonHeels Sun 28-Apr-13 00:34:52

All I'm thinking about this is that it's not really appropriate to post so much detail that presumably makes them easily identifiable.

GreenLeafTea Sun 28-Apr-13 00:24:36

Didn't Angelina Jolie do the whole 'travel abroad to give birth' thing?

nooka Sat 27-Apr-13 18:05:21

I've a very 'wooish' friend who might well go on retreats of this nature (not heavily pregnant I think as she is also a nurse so I hope more sensible). Some of the organisations that organise this sort of thing are very intense, almost cult like, so I'd wonder if the couple were over encouraged to assume everything would go just fine because of the natural powers of yoga/ashram etc.

I'd also not assume that this was an expensive holiday. It might well have cost them an arm and a leg but it might actually be very spartan (I'm thinking some people might be imagining a spa type set up).

Sadly people often don't think through the potential consequences of their actions and have contingency plans in place. I suspect that whilst the details of this scenario might be unusual there are many similar situations of people getting stuck because they didn't think things through.

PatPig Sat 27-Apr-13 17:48:16

Yoga retreat is an actual thing?

Send them a slap.

LastTangoInDevonshire Sat 27-Apr-13 16:51:09

If they can afford a yoga retreat in the Caribbean then they can do without the £1 I can afford to donate to them in their 'hour of need'.

andubelievedthat Sat 27-Apr-13 15:38:40

All that talk re raising money ,selling the family home etc , what tosh ,one call to the Daily Fail newsdesk and before you can say"here ,just sign this" all will be taken care off ,as the enquiring British public lap up a good human interest story, esp. one involving hippy trippy silly people and a new born in a supposedly exotic location, whilst paper gets to cover story over a say initially 10 week period >i can imagine the front page as i type.

GrowSomeCress Sat 27-Apr-13 15:35:14

I can't believe they didn't have insurance, insanity shock

phantomnamechanger Sat 27-Apr-13 15:32:35

They were silly and irresponsible and sound like the sort who never think anything bad can happen to THEM. There have been enough of these stories in the media recently for anyone who does not get insurance to rightly be branded a fool. Why is it not compulsory??

If they can afford such a long posh holiday they should have been able to afford adequate insurance, and can probably afford /raise the money themselves somehow for the treatment too but are playing the "poor us" card to get donations - maybe there is more to this than we know.....

CarpeVinum Sat 27-Apr-13 15:06:01

I don't know anyone at all who's had a positive birth experience in an Italian hospital (I still have flashbacks)

Seconded.

And they wonder why there are so many onlies over here.

Ds is nearly 13. And I still habour ill will.

DeepRedBetty Sat 27-Apr-13 14:54:58

I've got limited funds available for charitable giving. A pair of idiots come considerably further down my list than clean water for children in developing countries, mosquito nets, and education for girls in countries where it is not yet the norm.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Sat 27-Apr-13 14:34:49

YANBU
What a stupid thing to do.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 27-Apr-13 14:30:48

YANBU, like others have said if they can afford to not be at work and pay for a long term holiday then they can either afford insurance or the care bills.

If they cant, then they need to look at borrowing the money. Fumdraising to pay for it seems terribly wrong. The situation is of their own making.

SignoraStronza Sat 27-Apr-13 14:19:00

hmm LaFata Other than rich friend in Milan who hired a private mw and got her straightforward home birth, I don't know anyone at all who's had a positive birth experience in an Italian hospital (I still have flashbacks). Cleanliness and technically (for the eventual section -fine. Bedside manner, compassion, modernity and pain relief severely lacking (as in zero). Didn't have a private gynae or the ability to proffer €600 cash in an envelope to pre-book an anaesthetist for an epidural though. Perhaps could have been different?

Back to the op. Yes, I agree it was abloody stupid idea, but hope they manage to get the treatment needed for the baby.

HenrySugar Sat 27-Apr-13 14:15:21

Of course they should have had insurance. If you have a family policy, a new baby is added as soon as it's born. We found that out when dc3 was born overseas and we received 2 bills for the excess on the insurance - one for me and one for baby confused

Bit late for all that now though - no insurance company will go near them if the child is already sick. They will have to cough up.

I say this a lot, living overseas, but we are so lucky with the NHS.

Madmum24 Sat 27-Apr-13 14:05:05

I hope the baby is fine after treatment. The parents made a very poor decision in my opinion. There are plenty of "alternative" places in the UK to give birth.

ShellyBoobs Sat 27-Apr-13 14:04:26

A friend of mine went in holiday and got ill and found out her insurance didn't cover as much as she thought and got stung. It could happen to anyone.

No, it could only happen to someone thick enough to not check what cover the policy offered.

Insurance isn't a game of luck, you know. Funnily enough, policy documents tell you what you're covered for and to what value. Not reading it is stupid not unlucky.

If they can afford to take time off work, give birth in a yoga retreat in the Caribbean, I'm sure they have the funds for a 2 week hospital stay.

Sounds very suss to me. I'd love to see the fundraising link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now