to think this couple were silly be abroad for the birth of their son

(108 Posts)
Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:35:10

A couple I know - acquaintances, more than friends - planned to be on holiday in a distant country for the birth of their son. Their son has been born and requires medical attention and they have no insurance - and have started a fundraiser online - Am I being unreasonable to think that was a really, really silly decision?

BonaDea Sun 28-Apr-13 00:40:15

Yanbu and are being unfairly slated. Sounds like very silly behaviour!!

sashh Sun 28-Apr-13 05:43:33

Wasn't there a couple recently in the news who had their baby somewhere in Europe and didn't have insurance so had to do a fundraiser because the baby was prem and needed treatment?

Not for treatment no, that was covered because baby is EU citizen, but insurance would have paid for an air ambulance to get baby back to Britain.

I can understand them starting a fund raiser, and I would probably give too - as long as any surplus was left with the hospital for local children.

I do think going abroad to give birth is .............. well it's an interesting idea and you do have to plan for if things go wrong.

Bloody idiots. Poor baby.

But also, boy are they in for a shock with a baby. If they were so convinced everything would be fine for a natural yoga birth they presumably imagine the baby will fit neatly into their terribly hip lives. Just snoozing in a sling and having a spot of milk from time to time.....
Ha ha ha. Don't know whether to laugh or cry (& it kind of depends on how poorly the baby is)

lozster Sun 28-Apr-13 09:00:27

No insurance will cover you for this as it is in effect a planned birth. Insurance is for unforeseen eventualities. A baby arriving after nine months is not a surprise. Indeed, anyone travelling should check the t&c of their policy very carefully as although many will cover pregnant women they won't cover a 'normal' birth. The definition of 'normal' can extend to slightly prem so although you might be covered for a broken leg and an ultrasound, the birth and associated costs may not be taken care of. Incidentally, I was also rejected from some insurance because my pregnancy is a result of ivf!

In terms of being asked if you are pregnant/how many weeks, I have just returned from Spain. No questions on way out but I was asked on the way back was I pregnant and how many weeks. I am below the travel cut off and the date from which a drs letter is required. I had my notes with me though they accepted my word.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 28-Apr-13 12:17:07

Most Embassies and Consulates no longer issue passports - it's all done in the UK. So no 24 hour turn round any more. DD1's passport took about a week to get back from UK (we're in France). And I'm not sure you can have an emergency passport if you've never held a passport before.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 28-Apr-13 12:20:22

An emergency passport can only be issued if you've had yours lost or stolen - not for a first passport.

McNewPants2013 Sun 28-Apr-13 12:35:59

I really don't think anybody here can judge the parents, because the op doesn't really know the parents that well.

Rufus20 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:16:29

They sound like damn fools to not have insurance, YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now