To not understand why people pay for sky?

(255 Posts)
CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Fri 26-Apr-13 22:20:57

Due to technical issues, I'm running my tv through an old sky box I found in the loft. I don't have a subscription so can't watch any of the sky channels. However, I can see the listings.

It's so much poo it's unbelievable. Why do people pay for this?? Are they mad?

cuteboots Mon 29-Apr-13 12:13:16

I have the tv/phone and broadband package from Sky and think its a bit expensive . American shizzle really so I think it may be the next thing to go in my house. I only have the basic package but £75 a month is a bit steep I feel

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 29-Apr-13 12:30:29

For me, it's exactly what LtEveDallas said - I wouldn't be able to watch Criminal Minds, Castle, Bones, Rizolli and Isles, NCIS, Grimm, The Following and a whole host of other great shows that I love.

NB: EveDallas - you have great taste in TV!

Bunbaker Mon 29-Apr-13 12:34:52

" I only have the basic package but £75 a month is a bit steep I feel"

As we pay £25 a month for our telephone and broadband package it looks like you are paying £50 a month just for Sky. That is a lot.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 29-Apr-13 12:41:54

The basic sky TV package with unlimited broadband and landline rental is £47.50 per month.

tedmundo Mon 29-Apr-13 12:43:33

Why has no one mentioned two of the best comedies to come out of sky one ...

Stella
The Cafe

Both really well written comedies!

Glee and Modern family worth subs alone

Kewcumber Mon 29-Apr-13 12:45:38

I cancelled my subscription and got a freesat plus box - not quite so much shit but enough for me. I get a few channels in addition to the freeview ones and can record pause etc like sky plus and because its plugged into satellite dish I don;t get reception problmes (near the flight path so reception via aerial alone can be problematic sometimes)

cuteboots Mon 29-Apr-13 12:48:17

Hmmm! I think I need to call them as this doesnt sound right to me .

theodorakisses Mon 29-Apr-13 12:48:36

Loved the handwringing caveat op used to justify even knowing what is on the ghastly common thing.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 29-Apr-13 13:03:07

grin

<commoner and proud>

Quenelle Mon 29-Apr-13 13:09:01

I can't understand why we pay for Sky. The only channels it gives us that we like and can't get elsewhere are Boomerang and Nick Junior, and we have to pay extra for them!

We have a smart TV so can get catch-up TV, Love Film, Netflix, Blinkbox anyway.

Signing up was a huge mistake. I'll be cancelling as soon as the twelve months is up.

Quenelle Mon 29-Apr-13 13:15:41

sweetestcup I had a terrible experience with BT too. Their (UK) customer service was so bad I would only discuss my account with the Director. Me 'n' Warren were best mates for a while there.

On the plus side, they did end up sending me three BT Vision boxes by accident and ignored all my requests to collect them so we sold them and made a few quid.

For ....
Boardwalk Empire
Walking dead
Modern Family

And for DH, the boxing he likes is all on sky (and bloody football)

Quenelle Mon 29-Apr-13 13:26:49

We watched the first episode of Boardwalk Empire on On Demand and then they removed it angry I might as well buy the boxset on Blink Box now.

Cooroo Mon 29-Apr-13 13:32:26

Don't pay for any sport or films. Game of Thrones. SkyArts. Plus the whole recording, rewinding, control remotely via apps things.

I would get rid of Sky, but we wouldn't get: Supernatural, MotoGP, Giro d'Italia and Tour de France (proper Eurosport coverage) if we stopped it. Cycling isn't covered properly on terrestial, it's all football-centric in the UK. I also programmes like The Walking Dead and Hawaii 5-0.

qo Mon 29-Apr-13 13:39:15

I cancelled my sky and got Netflix for £5.99. We still get the free sky channels and we have 4OD, BBC iPlayer and Itvplayer. No need for sky

lottieandmia Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:14

We haven't had Sky for about 5 years. TV addict dd (9) has been nagging me to get it again. I may give in...

MansView Mon 29-Apr-13 15:16:32

sky is shit - as it most of tv...I haven't watched tv since last sept...

I do feel kinda free now - as my life was dictated by what was on tv, I wouldn't make my tea until the soaps finished for example...what kind of shitty existance is that?

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 29-Apr-13 15:23:54

I don't watch the soaps MansView.
I watch crap when I fell like watching crap, or more serious stuff when I feel like that, or I read, or I MN.
Just because you have it doesn't mean it has to rule your life.

Kitchencupboards Mon 29-Apr-13 15:29:01

I agree if DH and I ever split up Sky will be the first thing to go. I feel sick at what we spend on Sky, I feel it such a waste of money. DH doesn't agree and upgraded us to HD without telling me as he knew what my response would be.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 29-Apr-13 16:06:10

TV in the kitchen is the answe to that Mansview grin.

sweetestcup Tue 30-Apr-13 22:14:52

Mansview, lady has it spot on - thats why I have a TV in the kitchen!

theodorakisses Wed 01-May-13 12:51:55

I do feel kinda free now - as my life was dictated by what was on tv, I wouldn't make my tea until the soaps finished for example...what kind of shitty existance is that?

A shittier existence than that would be not being able to afford the choice to be so smug probably.

MansView Wed 01-May-13 13:02:08

most of the people I know with sky etc - they simply spend ages flicking through channels rather than watching anything...

fine if you're happy to vegetate on the sofa doing that...

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 01-May-13 13:04:42

I would say that was more your own deep-seated psychological issue than the fault of Sky TV Mansview.

That would be like me, when I was a smoker, blaming my addiction on the existence of fags. Or me as a fatty blaming my weight issues on the existence of food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now