to be pissed off that my "12 week scan" will not be done till i am at least 16 weeks!

(69 Posts)
MoodyDidIt Thu 25-Apr-13 11:29:05

in fact i could be more like 20 weeks shock

(long story to do with not being sure of my dates)

but anyway, got the letter today with my scan date and based on the LATEST possible time i conceived, i will be at least 16 weeks

i think its appalling. i rang and explained the situation but they will not cannot give me an earlier one

gutted. we have no money for a private one otherwise i would book one immediately

Why is it important?

I'm not saying it isn't; I'm asking why it is.

I'm anxious enough about having mine at 12+6 because 11-13 is the nuchal fold window and I am over 30.

I get that your dates are hazy, but if it is to confirm dates then a private scan won't commit to that - the best you can hope for is "more like 12 than 16" or whatever. Please don't waste money if you're skint.

If on the other hand you're frantic about your Schroedinger baby and whether it is even alive/viable, then it could well be a small price to pay.

In my cousin's area you get a dating scan and no anomaly scan. That frightens me more, given the number of children I know whose serious conditions were identified then and otherwise could have killed them.

DoraTheExploder Thu 25-Apr-13 16:28:23

Where I lived, the first scan was at 20 weeks. This was 14 years ago. They didn't do a 12 week scan in my area.

redwallday Thu 25-Apr-13 16:35:00

Considering I had my scan at 13 weeks to find out the baby died at 6 weeks I would push for a scan sooner. I have had to go private to have a D&C today at 14 weeks. My body was showing absolutely no signs of letting go and I'd had lots of pregnancy symptoms and no bleeding. The private simple test round here is £55. If nothing else at least you would get to see a heartbeat. Xxx

OHforDUCKScake Thu 25-Apr-13 16:41:00

"Its not fair to hold up the queue"

You wouldnt though, thats what the EPUA is for.

OHforDUCKScake Thu 25-Apr-13 16:41:46

*EPU

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 25-Apr-13 16:49:14

What you need to do is lie. Pretend something is wrong, bad cramps blabla spotting an they will give you a scan to check baby and you will know your dates wink

MrsHoarder Thu 25-Apr-13 16:53:28

Before you pay for a private scan check that they would do measurements for you. Some of them just give you a picture, not the medical checks that the NHS one does.

Is it worth contacting your local hospital PAL after reading the NHS guidelines. And the EPU is not for routine scans, its for women who are having problems in early pregnancy.

MoodyDidIt Thu 25-Apr-13 16:54:32

oh redwall i am so sorry for your loss sad

flowers

that is the kind of thing i am worried about. i have gone through an awful lot of stress lately and i do worry about the effect it could have on the baby. and also i dont mean to be morbid, but what if something was wrong with the baby and i needed to have a termination? it would be worse the later on the pregnancy had progressed

and on a less serious note, i just want to know an accurate-ish date! as opposed to what i have got now. and <fingers crossed all IS ok> i want to be able to tell people etc

so this is why i am keen to have one earlier than later!

thermalsinapril Thu 25-Apr-13 17:02:05

YANBU

JenaiMorris Thu 25-Apr-13 17:06:54

To counter littleduck's post, I spent a lot of time on different days in the EPAU waiting room before I miscarried. One time, 6 hours and never less than 3.

Given the circumstances, I wouldn't have begrudged you telling a white lie to get seen at all OP.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 17:24:55

Would that £75 for private include nuchal fold?

numbum Thu 25-Apr-13 17:56:14

I think it's crap to make you wait that long. I'd go to EPU rather than spend money you don't have on a scan. If you're further on then maybe they will rush your nuchal scan through. Our area only had 20 week scans up until 3 years ago. If I'd been given a 12 week scan then it would have picked up that my baby was incompatible with life and I wouldn't have had to go through labour at 22 weeks.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 18:14:03

I would like to hear the full story, OP, of your confusion over dates, before I decide if you are BU or not. I have a feeling you just walked in today & are demanding an immediate scan, but tell me I'm wrong.

Ashoething Thu 25-Apr-13 18:22:12

Get the name of a consultant and email their secretary-no use trying to go through the lackeys you will get no where.

I cant believe people on here are basically telling you tough shit!-well actually I can cos its aibu and some people are twats but still. Scans are there for a reason-to detect possibly serious problems.

If I hadn't gone straight to the hospital at 19 wks pregnant with a tinge of pink discharge then I would not have found out that I have an incompetent cervix. I didn't wait about until it was convenient for them for me to come in! This is your baby you are talking about!

Be a pest-complain,complain,complain-or fake a bleed.

CuppaTea83 Thu 25-Apr-13 18:39:10

They only bought in the 12 week scan in my area 4 years ago. Before that it was 20 week scan only.
It is crappy and YANBU to be pissed off but unfortunately many of us have been there too.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 18:56:56

(I imagine OP taking so long to reply because she's writing an almighty mammoth post).

DorisIsWaiting Thu 25-Apr-13 19:11:38

I think rather than paying for a private scan I would be fighting much harder for an NHS one at the time when they will be able to test appropriately.

Start creating a fuss (REALLY BIG FUSS!) Contact PALS, contact the head of midwifery asnd ask them, why you should not have the routine tests available to all other pregnant women (they are not acurately at that stage of pregnancy). I would maybe even consider talking to my MP. It is that serious.

If they are doing it to you how many other women are they doing it too (and removing their access to choices had those tests come out positive iyswim)

I would even seriously consider changing hospitals .

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Thu 25-Apr-13 19:13:04

Ring them each day for a cancelled appointment

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 25-Apr-13 19:15:12

Not getting why its so important either given your other posts indicate the child was planned so you must have a fairly accurate date yourself.

£75 for a scan seems a good price but only you know if its worth it. Relatively cheap given how much babies and children cost.

Given that OP got a letter through today with her scan date, lljkk, it seems rather unlikely that she "just walked in today & is demanding an immediate scan" -- unless the Royal Mail is chuffing amazing where she is.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 19:35:30

The "walked in today" was a bit rhetorical.
OP is saying she'll get scanned at 16 weeks but then gives a 5 week window for her present dates, so maybe she'll get scanned at 12 weeks after all.

She hasn't said how soon the scan is and how many days forward she would like it.

It sounds like she could have presented to MW in last 2 weeks, said she was completely fuzzy about dates, and expected a scan within 2 weeks to help her determine the date (to 95% accuracy if it really was between 11 & 13 weeks).

She hasn't mentioned wanting the nuchal fold (may not be offered, anyway), just wants accurate dating (I think).

Anyway, I'm confused, and OP asked "AIBU to be pissed off" and really I don't know unless she can clarify a lot.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 19:41:45

Okay, I creeped off to look at OP's thread when she announced her pg on MN, so I understand better why so unsure about dates.

I dunno, I will not adjust my arse to the fence. It is pants they aren't more interested in problems of missing best window, but Like some have said, not so long ago 12 week scans weren't even offered. I wonder if it's another one of those Austerity Britain stories.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 19:42:10

oops, need an edit button, I mean I am now on the fence (oh, the shame....!)

digerd Thu 25-Apr-13 19:43:27

Being too old to have had scans in my day, how many weeks is the first scan usually?

MrsDeVere Thu 25-Apr-13 19:46:52

With DCs 4 & 5 both their dating scans were nearer 16 weeks than 12.

I went to the GP fairly early on but not early enough hmm. You have to go asap in order to get your scan booked in. In the olden days you were told there was no real hurry. Now you seem to have to get there as soon as you miss a period.

Mine were further held up because although I explictly said I did NOT want a nuchal fold scan I was booked in for them anyway. These then had to be cancelled and apparently this impacted on the when I could have the dating scan confused

Both my scan appointments [two years apart] were at the bizarre and hugely inconvenient time of 8.20am.

I think that time shows just how busy they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now