To think teacher should ask for food diary from year 5

(153 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 23-Apr-13 17:44:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 23-Apr-13 17:48:06

Wishwehadgoneabroad Tue 23-Apr-13 17:53:57

Very insensitive of the teacher to be doing this topic now, if a child has just died of an eating disorder. She should have changed her planning to do something else.

This topic is important imo but time/place etc.

It's not about monitoring kids' food. The idea of them keeping a diary is so they can assess whether the %'s of carbs, proteins, fats etc is in line with a healthy diet.

But I do thing the teacher is wrong to do this at such a sad time.

Why would you daughter's diet be limited because of her SN? Genuinely curious so I can be aware...

Bobyan Tue 23-Apr-13 17:54:26

You might find that she's willing to expand the variety of foods she eats but looking at what she is eating.

lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 23-Apr-13 17:55:28

popperdoodles Tue 23-Apr-13 17:56:20

my ds in yr 5 is also learning about healthy diets at school at the moment. He is skinny as a rake and is suddenly interested in how much sugar and fat things contain. I see your point about a food diary can remember having to do one at secondary for food tech. I just lied on it!

I doubt the teacher will read and analyse them but could just as easily use sample ones. Connecting the activities with their own eating habits is going to have more meaningful in terms of learning though.

aldiwhore Tue 23-Apr-13 17:56:45

On the face of it it seems quite a good idea, a simple task, record what you eat...

But actually I agree with you and I don't think YABU at all.

All kinds of children attend school, all kinds of individuals, not everything needs to be related to everyday life to be understood, or to understand the concept of it.

I think it's lazy learning. If you only ever get taught things in relation to your own life, you're not really learning at all, you're not seeing the bigger picture. You already know what you do.

I completely agree with teaching the big picture and using links with own experience to gain that 'penny drop' moment, but with good teaching the penny drops anyway usually.

Eating habits, obesity paranoia, eating disorders, food food food... we're so obsessed with it, it causes so many people so much trouble, all the choice we have has created a massive problem not only in that we eat too much, but don't eat enough of the right things, find food overwhelming, and obsess about what society thinks is not just a healthy size but a desireable one (and actually those sizes are very different) that to creat a homework topic on it isn't the wisest move.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 23-Apr-13 17:56:45

YANBU to refuse. I would. It's a very personal thing! I refused a homework task for my DD who was 7 at the time...the teacher wanted her to write down our occupations and the size of our home! I wrote a short note about privacy.

Kiriwawa Tue 23-Apr-13 17:58:14

Absolutely agree. This is a prime age for EDs, especially for girls. The timing is massively insensitive and I would speak to the teacher about it.

I agree that drafting a healthy eating food plan would be much better homework

Anthracite Tue 23-Apr-13 17:59:40

I doubt the teacher is monitoring her intake. Her objective will be for your DD to identify different food groups and understand what makes a balanced diet.

If your DD is a faddy eater (not physically medically restricted), surely it is even more important for her to appreciate good nutrition. If you are giving her a good diet and supervising her eating, what does she need to worry about?

SpanishFly Tue 23-Apr-13 18:01:47

i'd hate this too. In P1 my son had to do this for a week, and it happened to be his dad's bday week, ie Dominos pizza on a tuesday, chinese food on wednesday when our friends were over, etc etc.
I also hate that they occasionally ask for consent to weigh and measure them. I'd never consent to this. Ridiculous.

DamnBamboo Tue 23-Apr-13 18:02:16

FFS.
What is wrong with explaining the building blocks of food, within the context of a healthy diet?

I can't believe some of things people complain about on here.

As long as no child is ridiculed/held up for example with their permission in class, what is the problem?

DamnBamboo Tue 23-Apr-13 18:03:12

I never ceased to be amazed by the things that offend people.

Why is an occupation secret?

Why does the size of your home matter?

Why?

Iggi101 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:06:11

"It happened to be his dad's birthday week " - there's a whole other thread in that line! wink

Kiriwawa Tue 23-Apr-13 18:09:08

How big is your house bamboo? What do you for a living? What does your partner do?

Do share

MammaTJ Tue 23-Apr-13 18:10:29

On the face of it, YABU but in the context of a death from an eating disorder recently and your child having Autism, it is an awful thing to do.

Anyone calling the child faddy, please note, it is a well known part of autism and calling them faddy is on a par with saying a child with ADHD needs a good hiding. Ignorant and wrong.

DamnBamboo Tue 23-Apr-13 18:10:55

My current house is large, I am a medic and my husband works in heavy engineering.

Not hard is it?

And you?

DamnBamboo Tue 23-Apr-13 18:13:21

And when I lived in a small semi and was a SAHM, I would still have answered those questions.

Waferthinmint Tue 23-Apr-13 18:13:47

I don't understand why not to ask for a food diary.

I ask for a diary of a typical day to draw comparisons with a medieval monks day - time spend working , playing etc.

Wouldnt occur to me I'm offensive

aldiwhore Tue 23-Apr-13 18:14:05

So fucking well teach the building blocks of food with the context of a healthy diet! Why is it necessary to request a food diary off every individual in the class? Do the building blocks vary depending on who's eating what?

Just TEACH... I don't want anyone knowing anything about myself or my family that I don't offer freely. It's my life, my privacy, and we live in an age of judgey mcjudgeypants at every bloody corner of life.

Just TEACH.

This isn't a dig at teachers in general, but teaching methods.

How do you teach the universe to each and every individual? Do you to poiint at the sky and say "Right, up there is.... etc etc " or do you you send pupils home with a piece of paper to plot their place in the galaxy at any given moment?

Science is BRILLIANT (as is milk) you don't need to personalise it completely... ask the pupils to use their brain and plot what they feel a healthy balanced diet would be for a week. That will get them thinking a lot more and make them worry a lot less.

aldiwhore Tue 23-Apr-13 18:16:21

Why can't you just tell your pupils what a typical medieval monks day entailed and then ask them to write an account of how their day would differ from now if they live in that age?

Surely that would exercise the muscles of the head a little more than writing "Well the monk prayed and I went on my xbox".

Waferthinmint Tue 23-Apr-13 18:17:04

Coz they don't know how it differs if they haven't thought about their day first.

Waferthinmint Tue 23-Apr-13 18:17:38

Or using your method.
Still comparing day!

aldiwhore Tue 23-Apr-13 18:18:00

How big is your house? What do you for a living? What does your partner do?

Not bloody measured it. I work. None of your bloody business. smile

You are strangers after all.

Waferthinmint Tue 23-Apr-13 18:18:37

"I went on x-box"

Not really sure what point you were trying to make

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now