To think that the form for my kids new school should not ask......

(196 Posts)
SuedeEffectPochette Tue 23-Apr-13 09:36:03

.......for my "christian" name! It's a state school. They must get all sorts of guidance on how not to cause offence. Surely this is a term from the 1950s these days!

eccentrica Wed 24-Apr-13 20:22:02

DamnBamboo did you change your name when you got married, or not? Can't work it out from your posts.

imour Wed 24-Apr-13 20:21:42

this is a joke right .

chocoluvva Wed 24-Apr-13 20:04:30

"some people enjoy looking for things to be offended by"

And some people are more thoughtful than other people.

TheYoniWayisEssex Wed 24-Apr-13 20:00:34

Well said JenaiMorris.

I haven't been christened, therefore I don't have a christian name.

It is an archaic expression.

NynaevesSister Wed 24-Apr-13 16:20:13

I get annoyed when giving details for myself and my son they always say, when it gets to the surname bit, "is it the same as yours?" When they could just as easily say "and his surname?" The first question just seems loaded with baggage (are you married to the dad? Split and remarried?). I l know it is being sensitive but it is the sort of thing that can be sensitive (no feckless sperm donor said he'd marry me but ran off with my sister). Especially as the answer is the same no matter what the question. Either you will say it is the same as yours or no it is X.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 24-Apr-13 13:50:41

The term Christian name comes from a time and an expectation that your name was given to you at your Christening, because you were a Christian. That's not a very enlightened assumption to make any more.

I remember at school some well-intentioned friend telling me that my name wasn't 'really' my name because I hadn't been christened!

sashh Wed 24-Apr-13 13:45:33

The word Christian name is what the first name has been known as in this country since whenever

No it isn't. As in the example I gave, my mother has 2 christian names, neither are her first name.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 24-Apr-13 13:08:22

I don't think MTS will be responding - she will obviously now be using MN solely to comment on matters of life and death. Unless that post was total bs wink

JenaiMorris Wed 24-Apr-13 12:44:56

Using Christian name on the form would make me wonder just how archaic other aspects of the school were.

"If this is all you have to worry about..." is really, seriously irritating btw. If something described in an AIBU wouldn't bother you then by all means comment as such but to basically tell someone to get a life is just a bit crap really.

Kewcumber Wed 24-Apr-13 12:32:42

I am rather drawn to the idea that all MN threads should be about serious and weighty matters.

There presumably would have to be some kind of handicapping system - Mrs DV would be able to post 5 times more than me, I would would be able to post 2 times more than than another poster.

There would need to be some kind of committee though deciding who got the most opinions and on what matters.

MrsDeVere Wed 24-Apr-13 12:26:52

Can you read MTS or is that little flounce you suddenly realising you hadn't read my post properly?

Just in case you really are finding this thread hard to follow I will explain.

People with a LOT to worry about are also allowed to worry about the 'small' things too.
Hence my post.

I am assuming you think its a made up scenario. That is the only reason I can think of for your insensitive dismissal of my situation.

idiot55 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:55:32

oh give over, some peoples lives must be so boring if this is a concern.

The word Christian name is what the first name has been known as in this country since whenever, get over it!

Kewcumber Wed 24-Apr-13 11:53:45

On a separate but related matter - many years (maybe 20) ago I was in hosptial and a kindly little old lady came around to fill in some forms.

"Relgion?" she asked
"atheist" I replied
She looked slightly harrassed and stumped and eventually said...
"I'll call that CofE then dear"!!!

I think the CofE would be more offended than me in all honesty as she obviously equated it to having no significant belief! In all honesty the majority of people who ticked CofE probably hadn't been in a church since they were christened or married so I was sympathetic to her interpretation.

Pigsmummy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:51:44

I am jealous that you have the time to worry about such things

Kewcumber Wed 24-Apr-13 11:49:42

I call it Christmas because thats what everyone else calls it of any religion or none confused Do christians have a problem with calling the celebration of the resurrection of christ by a pagan goddess's name "Oestre"? I doubt it.

Language is a marvellous thing as it evolves as people collectively want it to.

It isn't difficult to put "first name" "family name" on a form so on the whole its good practice to. OP didn't say she was frothing at the mouth with outrage just that she was offended that the assumption was that she was Christian.

sashh Wed 24-Apr-13 09:12:45

Asking for a 'christian name' is wrong because many people have a christian name that they took at baptism or confirmation but is not on any birth certificate or passport.

My mum has one name on her birth certificate. She was baptised and confirmed at the same time (as an adult) so took two christian names that she never uses.

TiggyD Wed 24-Apr-13 08:17:49

The little baby Jesus forgives you OP, and says you'll only burn in hell for half an eternity.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 24-Apr-13 07:17:49

Christmas is called Christmas no matter what you think about it.

Your first name is not called your christian name unless you were christened it.

I can't believe people struggle with this!

Because people are petty kim.

Christians muscled in on all the festivals and now they want any word with Christ in it. smile

jessjessjess Wed 24-Apr-13 07:12:48

Because if you're willing to call it Christmas, you probably shouldn't have an issue with the term Christian name.

kim147 Wed 24-Apr-13 07:11:40

FFS - why do people always bring up the celebrate Christmas argument?
It's a tradition in this country - we haven't got many traditions in this country that brings us together so Christmas is a nice one to have.

Just because you come together as a family does not mean it has to have a religious meaning. It's just about the only communal thing we have in this country.

jessjessjess

This is taken from backonlybrieflys post on page 6.

As an atheist I'm more offended (disappointed would be a better word) by the people who imply that you shouldn't celebrate Christmas or Easter because you don't believe in their god. Do people really not know that Christmas was a pagan celebration before the church hijacked/renamed it? Do they really think that present giving, holly, the tree and log are about Jesus? (You don't want to know what Druids hung on trees) Do you put a fairy on the top of the tree as you think fond thoughts about baby Jesus and not realise the contradiction?

So your christmas arguement is nonsense.

Oh and I never say touch wood. Not because I am atheist. Just because its superstitious crap.

jessjessjess Wed 24-Apr-13 06:21:17

I'm wondering if the OP a) celebrates Christmas and b) ever uses phrases like "touch wood".

LynetteScavo Tue 23-Apr-13 19:26:40

Well, if I ran a school I would be asking for first name, not Christian name, but I think it's a bit a case of "when in Rome".

England is a CofE country, isn't it? If we were in an Islamic country, I wouldn't be offended by being asked for my Islamic name. I would just chuckle that I didn't have one.

MTSgroupie Tue 23-Apr-13 19:16:03

This thread started with a bunch of people being outraged because a form asked for a Christian name. It has now moved onto a bunch of people being outraged at how they are addressed in a letter.

Some people seem to have nothing better to do than to find things to be offended by. It's like those posters who trawl the Daily Mail looking for articles to be outraged over

This is getting boring so I'll leave you ladies to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now