To think that the form for my kids new school should not ask......

(196 Posts)
SuedeEffectPochette Tue 23-Apr-13 09:36:03

.......for my "christian" name! It's a state school. They must get all sorts of guidance on how not to cause offence. Surely this is a term from the 1950s these days!

BumpingFuglies Tue 23-Apr-13 09:38:18

Is it a C of E school?

Do you find it offensive?

Sugarice Tue 23-Apr-13 09:39:24

Why is asking for your first name offensive?

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 23-Apr-13 09:40:18

Some would consider it outdated but it's certainly not offensive.

State schools are all Christian schools. Its the law.

AnyFucker Tue 23-Apr-13 09:41:36

Oh, give over

bedmonster Tue 23-Apr-13 09:41:45

Are you offended?

Why? Just.......why?

SuedeEffectPochette Tue 23-Apr-13 09:43:22

I am offended by the assumption that I am a Christian. And if I did hold another religion I would be more annoyed by that assumption - yes.

SallyCinnamonandNutmeg Tue 23-Apr-13 09:44:09

I agree it does seem a bit odd and most forms these days ask for "first name" - but to be honest I don't think I would really have noticed it. It's a minor administrative error I think.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 23-Apr-13 09:44:20

Then cross it out and write 'First name' or 'given name' in it's place.

moogy1a Tue 23-Apr-13 09:44:33

yeah, prosecute the bastards

I'd be offended by that too. It seems very old fashioned.

MTSgroupie Tue 23-Apr-13 09:44:59

Suede - I take it that you are equally offended that this forum is called MUMSnet. Perhaps it should be changed to something gender neutral like ParentNet. But then that might offend people who aren't parents.

Some people just seem enjoy looking for things to feel offended about.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 23-Apr-13 09:45:31

State schools are Christian, so it's a fairly safe bet that if you are happy for your child to go there, you are either Christian, or don't mind being exposed to Christian practises.

This is a bizarre thing to be angry about.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 23-Apr-13 09:46:02

Some people just seem enjoy looking for things to feel offended about.

Indeed.

Yup, it's old-fashioned but I don't know if that makes it rude or offensive.

DeWe Tue 23-Apr-13 09:46:31

"Peoplesnet" oh no that's offensive to by fruit bowl...

I think the issue is a wider one really.

OP, as a non christian, will you be segregating your children from collective worship?

Justaperfectday Tue 23-Apr-13 09:46:42

Christian name instead of first name irritates me too.

motherinferior Tue 23-Apr-13 09:47:18

YANBU.

I always say helpfully that my first name isn't a Christian name it's a Hindu name. (It is, although I am not a Hindu.) This pisses people off satisfyingly.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 23-Apr-13 09:47:31

We can all see the direction this thread is going to take.

Sugarice Tue 23-Apr-13 09:47:44

There are plenty of things to find fault with in life but your irritation at this is just daft. grin

State schools are Christian, so it's a fairly safe bet that if you are happy for your child to go there, you are either Christian, or don't mind being exposed to Christian practises.

But if the alternative is fee paying, what choice do people have unless they are wealthy or in receipt of a child genius?

Wrong. As there are no Secular schools in the UK, people who are not religious have no other choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now