Please flame me, I've been a bitch!

(55 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Mon 22-Apr-13 12:44:50

I just asked someone if she was pregnant and she said no! I would never normally do this but she was fairly skinny with a well formed and fairly pronounced bump. It just came out!

She is the waitress in the cafe so now I have to sit her and squirm until I can leave.

It is a lovely local cafe and I am never coming back!

blush

DewDr0p Mon 22-Apr-13 22:47:42

This happened to me in the butchers. The young assistant said "haven't you had that baby yet?" - I didn't answer, just pointed at the newborn lying in the pram!! (to be fair, ds was only 3 days old and yes I did prob look a bit pg but not half as pg as on my previous visit the week before!)

Every single time I went in after that his colleagues sniggered and started taking the mick out of him about it. Was quite a relief when he got another job elsewhere grin

Pontouf Mon 22-Apr-13 18:13:37

This happened to me today! I went to see my GP for some more pain killers following my c-section last Wednesday. As I walked into the too
She looked at me and said "shouldn't you have had it by now?!" and I had to say "I have." she was mortified and said "oh no! It was just the way you were walking!" I was hobbling in agony clutching my stomach to be fair but I was MASSIVELY pregnant (40+4) the last time I'd seen her and although obviously I still look about 5 months gone, it is still a fairly significant difference! I'm well over a stone lighter. I was really upset and haven't told anyone except you lot sad

DragonMamma Mon 22-Apr-13 18:12:18

One of the school mums is a bit round all over and a couple of months back at a party we were chatting and I asked her if she was planning a second dc and she replied 'well, this one is due in 4 weeks' and I was mortified as she clearly knew I thought she was a bit round pre preg.

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:00:17

I stuck my foot in it on the bus, I offered a lady a seat because she looked pregnant only for her not to be.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Mon 22-Apr-13 17:52:17

I know! It's a minefield!

HerrenaHarridan Mon 22-Apr-13 17:35:17

shock Fuck Jamie!

If we are also rude not to notice wtf are we supposed to do?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Mon 22-Apr-13 17:17:18

It's nearly as bad when you don't notice someone is 7 months pregnant.

McPheelingTheSpring Mon 22-Apr-13 17:16:39

Maybe she needed a poo

Wannabestepfordwife Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:46

avondale that reminds me of dp daring me to buy a pregnancy test at 37 weeks. The look on the woman's face it was priceless.

hazel that's awful you should have been allowed in 1st class for your kidney

OHforDUCKScake Mon 22-Apr-13 17:08:10

Ive had people I know-ish eye up my stomach and I know what they're thinking.

I do get a rounded sticky out 4 month looking stomach when Im due on or eaten loads of bread. I think it becomes even more obvious if you're not overwheight.

My son asked if there was a baby in there again recently. Little bugger.
I cant deny it though, for a few days each month I look pregnant.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Mon 22-Apr-13 17:04:51

My lovely friend was asked by her colleague if she was pregnant. My friend said no and was a bit upset.

About six months later the same colleague asked her the same question. She wasn't then, either!

lustybusty Mon 22-Apr-13 17:02:56

I've always found "how's things?" Works quite well in many situations- weight loss/weight gain/preg/haircut. If they want to comment on it, it's an opener, if they don't, they won't...! grin

floatyfloni Mon 22-Apr-13 16:53:48

Dp's mum just to clarify!

floatyfloni Mon 22-Apr-13 16:53:10

Twice, on seperate occasions, people have thought I was his mum. He is 25 and I am 23.

First occasion though I was only 18! dp was rushed to A'n'E one night. After about 3 hours they moved him from emergency onto a different ward so I had to go, was 4am! I sat in the bustop until about 7am so could catch a bus home (25 miles or so), got home, packed him a bag and caught another bus straight back over for visiting hours. When I got there, a nurse said how lovely it was for his mum to come visit! I could've cut her head off...

Madlizzy Mon 22-Apr-13 16:33:17

And today I was asked if I was. I said no, I'm just fat and asked her if she wanted a shovel.

toffeelolly Mon 22-Apr-13 14:45:55

This is the reason why i would never ask anybody this, do feel for you!

DeskPlanner Mon 22-Apr-13 14:17:51

This is why I never say anything, even if someone looks like they are about to drop. I just wait until they mention being preg first.

butterflyexperience Mon 22-Apr-13 14:09:04

Don't worry
I've made that mistake once too...
Never again though shock

HerrenaHarridan Mon 22-Apr-13 13:58:27

Thank you so much for sharing your faux pas, I may be an idiot but at least I'm not alone smile

HerrenaHarridan Mon 22-Apr-13 13:57:11

I know I shouldn't of said it, I have explained to people before why they shouldn't do it!

It just slipped past quality control and now I feel like the biggest arse in the world, to be honest I thought she was very attractive so this may if had something to do with the primal urge to put my foot in it.

Now I don't feel like I can ever go back to the only nice cafe in our little village with the pretty waitress.

Is there ever any way back from here, is it possible to make amends?

I'm such an idiot! blush

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:52:21

Oh i did similar to this, i asked one of the girls in my old department when her baby was due, even said, "you must be due anytime now" shock she had him THREE months ago she said!! THREE MONTHS FFS!! To be fair she was wearing a really tight fitting dress for some mad reason but she looked 9 months pregnant - i could have died on the spot!

roofio87 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:47:19

Alexreid a nurse once asked my dad, 'will your mother being coming in with you?' it was not his mother, but my mum and his wife. she was mortified. that way round is far worse!!

Brunocat Mon 22-Apr-13 13:46:58

I was asked last week if I was pregnant, I do have a tummy but am otherwise fairly slim. Luckily it was a student that said it to me in class and I was able to make him wish he had never been born. I think I taught him a valuable life lesson and all the girls in the class said that he will never ask anyone the same question again!

StuntGirl Mon 22-Apr-13 13:43:25

My neighbour asked if I was pregnant. I am not, just fat sad

This is why I never, ever ask someone else if they're pregnant!

ChairOfTheBored Mon 22-Apr-13 13:40:20

My step dad is a wee bit younger than my mum. They were down to visit, and we went to church on Sunday morning.

The vicar was utterly horrified by the awkward silence which followed his welcome to my Mum and brother...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now