To be pissed off at the abuse of the exclamation mark?

(77 Posts)
nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 12:37:06

Why end every sodding sentence in an exclamation mark instead of a full stop? It hurts my eyes and makes posts look silly.

The exclamation mark is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume (shouting), and often marks the end of a sentence. Example: “Watch out!”

You don't bloody well need it when talking about boring shit. I keep seeing this kind of thing.

Hi! I went to the shops today! I bought a gorgeous dress!

Totally, totally wrong.

Even worse is the need to use !!!!!!!!! Why? What's wrong with one !?

Hi!!!! I went to the shops!!!!!! I bought a dress!!!! Someone was mean to me in the changing room as I sounded just so damned excited all the time!!!!!!!

I think it's supposed to be like talking very slowly to stupid people.

I know someone with a PhD in English who over uses the full stop for emphasis online.

I. Kid. You. Not.

valiumredhead Mon 22-Apr-13 21:05:38

My dh uses industrial language at work grin Made me laugh my socks of when HR told him the correct term.

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 20:46:59

MrsDV, she sounds a delight.

Arbitrary - Do people over use the full stop? At work it seems like folk have forgotten that they exist for the end of sentences, especially in a bullet point list.

It makes me weep giant tears of sadness for the poor little full stop.

What. About. When. People. Over. Use. The. Full. Stop?

Emmon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:49:21

Industrial language is swearing.

SomethingOnce Mon 22-Apr-13 19:45:49

What is 'industrial language', Emmon?

MrsDeVere Mon 22-Apr-13 19:44:35

<blush>!!!!!!!

Emmon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:38:37

I find it really quite bizarre and ironic you get offended by someone misusing an exclamation mark and choose to articulate this by using industrial language.

StoicButStressed Mon 22-Apr-13 19:31:38

MrsD - I didn't think it was actually to possibly love you more than I did already... (COUNT PLEASE ALL ABOVE; just THREE ...'s)

...But I do! You are WONDEROUS and I love you and your posts HUGELYsmile xxx

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 19:14:16

On MN I feel a great need for it!!!

Samu2 Mon 22-Apr-13 19:11:10

I abuse the ..... as well.

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 18:50:25

Sorry MissReeling. It's a case of 'do as I say, not as I do'. grin

crashdoll Mon 22-Apr-13 18:09:06

I was a serial abuser of the !!!!! but now, I am much better!

MrsDeVere Mon 22-Apr-13 17:52:59

I like a bit of this....

But DS's birth mother wrote me an entire FB message like this:

Abusive bollocks that is badly spelled......and other thing you should do this.....and more abusive....you are a vile person and mean......you should be giving me more stuff....why don't you do what I say.....more abuse.....lol.......but anyway.....and yet more abuse.....

Obviously I paraphrase but you get the gist. I couldn't even reply to the content of her missive. I could only respond with 'why do you keep doing this......after....every other....word....?

Her reply?

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I kid you not <sigh>

StoicButStressed Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:49

SHIT - forgot my bloody semi-colon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reelingintheyears Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:12

Ha,MsBheave(d).

Geddit???????

StoicButStressed Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:03

FuckThis & Buzzard - Former I think is probably correct, latter was typo, but, in any event, it's clearly a shit situation...... Offers OP aologies and sympathies at heinous use of English language.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reelingintheyears Mon 22-Apr-13 17:13:20

Ahem,Msbheave,

I can bare (just about) the occasional ?!?

Er,bare or bear,are you baring your bottom or is your bottom bearing you?

WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Mon 22-Apr-13 17:07:50

I will nevah stop........!!!!

Ha......!!!

GaryBarlowsPants Mon 22-Apr-13 17:05:16

Oh. I am an abuser of the exclamation mark.
<Resists the urge to add 5 exclamation marks to that sentence>.
I will stop. Immediately.

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Mon 22-Apr-13 17:03:46

I use an ellipsis when I want it to imply that my thoughts are trailing off, because I don't have a thought bubble punctuation mark e.g. I wonder...

Buzzardbird Mon 22-Apr-13 17:01:28

Poor Aunty Flo stop...

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 16:59:26

Yes ellipsis being used insetad of full stops gets to me as well.

I mean, what's so wrong with a full stop? Is it because people are getting americanised and calling it a period and they're concerned that its become shorthand for your, well, period?

Poor full stop. sad I am very sad at your demise.

SomethingOnce Mon 22-Apr-13 16:55:40

[meltdown]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now