To be sad that meat is security protected?

(73 Posts)
BumpingFuglies Sun 21-Apr-13 19:39:10

Bought a pack of chicken valued at 3.15 and it had a sticker on saying "security protected". Which leads me to think the supermarket (tesco) feels customers might steal it and that makes me feel all kinds of sad and wrong hmm

expatinscotland Sun 21-Apr-13 20:21:44

'It's sad that nappies are security protected. I can't imagine people selling those on. Or do they??'

They do.

BumpingFuglies Sun 21-Apr-13 20:22:43

So the security protection is only due to resellers, not people trying to feed their families?

CloudsAndTrees Sun 21-Apr-13 20:24:54

I said no one needs to steal fresh meat because they are hungry, not that that no one needs to steal.

I'd have thought that if an honest person was so desperate that they had to steal food they'd steal the cheapest stuff they could, not more expensive things like meat.

CombineBananaFister Sun 21-Apr-13 20:25:00

Same where i work. Our top shoplifted items used to be wines and spirits and leather jackets, then the economy went south and now it's meat. I do feel sorry for the little old ladies who can't afford their lamb any more (racks are extortionate shock )

But it's mostly divvys pinching and selling it on, infact a pub got shut down locally for having a freezer full of our meat (not just any meat, but high quality expensive meat wink ).

Was heartbroken at seeing a down n out getting took away for a bloody sandwich though. Breaks my heart. We used to give our BB food to sally army but can't any more due to ridiculous health/hygiene/fraud etc. Now it all gets injected with dye and put in the bins.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Apr-13 20:25:18

Security protection is there to prevent shoplifting, which costs all of us, regardless of what people do with the goods, but many steal meat and cheese to sell and this was the case long before the recession. Long before it. It's a common thing to steal, alongside non-food items like razor blades.

AnyaKnowIt Sun 21-Apr-13 20:26:06

IME the people who steal because they need to eat go for the basics like bread, pasta ect.

People who sell on usually meat, cheese, and washing powder.

I work in a supermarket and meat and cheese are one of the most shoplifted things there.

Bumping I tihnk other posters are right, people don't generally steal food because they are hungry. Even homeless people have access to some sort of meal if they really want it, from shelters. There is a way for people who really need food to get it, without stealing.

Food is stolen to sell on, for drugs or alcohol, by addicts.

McNewPants2013 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:28:01

It gives the locally sourced promise a new meaning lol.

BumpingFuglies Sun 21-Apr-13 20:28:32

Clouds, would you steal to feed your family? Meat or otherwise?

RhondaJean Sun 21-Apr-13 20:28:57

I had to explain to my daughter that the lynx, batteries, razors are behind the counter in our local tesco metro because they're likely to be stolen.

She was shock

That is sad Combine. i wish we could share out 'outdated' food more easily in this country, instead of throwing it away sad

scaevola Sun 21-Apr-13 20:30:56

I'd heard that one of the most shoplifted items was Gillette Mach-3 replacement razor blades. Is that right?

HedgeHogGroup Sun 21-Apr-13 20:32:08

Kotinka its not the meat being in their pocket you need to worry about, my Mum has CCTV of a shoplifter putting packs of bacon down his pants to take them... 'smokin' grin

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 21-Apr-13 20:32:41

I heard that too scaevola

expatinscotland Sun 21-Apr-13 20:32:54

'I'd heard that one of the most shoplifted items was Gillette Mach-3 replacement razor blades. Is that right?'

Very. That's why they are often behind the counter and/or security tagged.

And yy, Lynx and batteries. Perfume testers, too.

kotinka Sun 21-Apr-13 20:33:27

HedgeHogGroup it gets better & better!

DoJo Sun 21-Apr-13 20:51:03

I would steal to feed my family if I was that desperate, but the last thing I would steal would be fresh meat. It's not wildly efficient as a food stuff, yields only the amount of food as stolen (as opposed to pasta which will bulk up when cooked for example), needs a source of heat to be prepared which may not be available if utilities have been cut off and can't be stored and rationed out as efficiently. So if anyone is stealing fresh meat because they're hungry then they are also probably also not that bright.

Teapot13 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:52:38

Even if the person who steals/resells it is buying drugs, I would think the people who buy from him are hard up -- otherwise they would shop at the supermarket.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Apr-13 20:54:45

'I would think the people who buy from him are hard up -- otherwise they would shop at the supermarket.'

They sell often enough to punters in pubs. Who are so hard up they are sat there drinking.

Car boots are popular, too.

yaimee Sun 21-Apr-13 21:19:01

Of course some people steal because they are hungry and of course others steal to buy drugs.
Someone stealing to buy drugs makes me sad too.

yaimee Sun 21-Apr-13 21:25:58

I'm going to admit something now that will get me flamed but it's funny so....
When I was younger, much more foolish and my moral compass was much more wibbly I used to work in a pub where one of the regulars shoplifted to order. I asked him to get me a bottle of pink wine and he came back with a frozen leg of lamb. It was fucking huge, no idea how he managed to get it out of the shop, I struggled to get the bloody thing home. Did feel a lot safer walking home on my own that night though!

maddening Sun 21-Apr-13 21:32:57

It's not new though. Year and years ago an old man died of hypothermia trying to steala frozen chicken under his hat.

When I was at uni 13 years ago coffee was taken off the shelves and kept behind the counter at night as it was stolen a lot.

People have always stolen and certain items are more sought after for various reasons.

AmberLeaf Sun 21-Apr-13 21:37:32

There used to be a man near where I lived years back who would go into sainsburys load a trolley with frozen legs of lamb, joints of beef etc etc and then just walk right out and run off with the trolley.

He'd then go into the cab office across the rd and sell it all in about 2 mins flat.

Then he'd go and get his heroin/crack whichever it was.

Most prolific shoplifters do it to fund an expensive drug habit.

snooter Sun 21-Apr-13 21:45:04

P20 suncream locked away here (North East) as regularly pinched.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now